Question How to send a custom notification from PC to other devices?

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I forget to turn off my pc and it runs all night. And I don't turn my pc on every day, so I can't just set a daily alarm on my phone, or else it'd be annoying.

So, if my PC is on and its 10pm, I want it to send me a notification to my Android Phone and/or Windows Laptop. Is that possible?
I feel like it can be done natively as both my pc and laptop are windows 10. And all my devices are in the same network.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Try MSG

https://www.lifewire.com/msg-command-2618093

Does not play well with iPhones etc. but I have used it to inform younger family members that "time's up" using laptops.

You may need to incorporate the desired message into a small script that is "triggered" at the desired 10pm time via Task Scheduler.

First focus on manually generating the message to ensure that the notification works.

Then incorporate the notification into a script or batch.

And remember you may need to have it all started at boot up via the Startup Tab in Task Manager.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Try MSG

https://www.lifewire.com/msg-command-2618093

Does not play well with iPhones etc. but I have used it to inform younger family members that "time's up" using laptops.

You may need to incorporate the desired message into a small script that is "triggered" at the desired 10pm time via Task Scheduler.

First focus on manually generating the message to ensure that the notification works.

Then incorporate the notification into a script or batch.

And remember you may need to have it all started at boot up via the Startup Tab in Task Manager.
I get error 5 with IP address and error 1722 with using PC Name. Windows network settings are weird...

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the errors you are seeing.

What do you mean by "Windows network settings are weird.. " In what way are what settings weird?

= = = =

Can you post the MSG command that you tested without showing personally identifying information?

Or mask something like "Ralston18PC" with R**.

As a starting point does the MSG reminder message get delivered to the laptop if you use the Command Prompt to just manually send the "Hey Stork....turn me off!" :) message from the target pc?

= = = =

Also this:

"I have to physically go to my PC and turn off the power switch from the wall too. So, shutting down the PC won't work."

Curious about why you are turning off a wall switch? Is that how the PC is normally shutdown versus using the Windows Power icon to shutdown the system?

Or do you do both: power icon shutdown to permit Windows to do a proper/graceful shutdown and then you turn off the wall switch as well?

====

Wall switch aside you may be able to set up a Powershell script that is executed at 10 p.m. each evening via Task Scheduler.

Could be done via Stop-Computer on the pc in question or done by remote access from the laptop.

FYI:

https://help.hawken.edu/portal/en/kb/articles/shut-down-or-restart-windows-10-devices

The laptop needing to be on any way in order to receive some reminder from the pc you wish to turn off.