How Well Does The Elder Scrolls Online Run On Your PC?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

I don't understand how people can be so dedicated to an MMO an still have a life. That's all I'm saying. I tried playing WoW an lost interest shortly after leveling up just a few times. I've trying playing runescape... another boring game. I don't know about any of the others but it just seems like work rather than fun.

Lets just forget I said something so ignorant lol

I guess I'll go out an get this ESO an see how boring it is....

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Well ESO would interest me more if I could actually see some questing gameplay. I went onto Twitch an everyone is just showing PVP. Like what is the deal with killing each other in a game that originated from being filled with awesome Quests?

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Well, I've levelled in WoW, RIft, Star Wars Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 and I only bought ESO because of a friend who wanted to play it but it's one of the worst questing experiences I've played. Combat is a chore, it's designed around gamepads and is really tedious. If you aren't an Elder Scrolls fanatic I doubt you'll find much in it. I've played the last four days and I am very quickly bored. It has the usual MMO culture where nobody communicates or cooperates, they just run past you allowing you to tank whatever is around while they loot what you had started the fight to get to.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
So its quests suck... the controls suck.... the people who play it suck..... why should I buy it?

I've been a fan since Morrowind but this one has me wondering if it's a money pit worth buying into or to pass an wait for Fallout 4 or the next installment of the elder scrolls if there will even be one.

I could buy Morrowind, Fallout 3, and another $20 game an not have to pay more after the first month to continue where I left off. I'm so confused right now on what to do. I really want to give this dang ESO a try but once you buy it an open it there is no turning back..... gahhhh

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
If you don't have anyone to play it with, skip it. I paid for two months on top of my purchase and I won't play past that. Only played four days and already I am not enjoying it. It's a beautiful world design but as a game it is shallow.

That is just moronic. No, you will not "always die cause of those no lifers". You can play on a PvE server where they can't go around ganking you, and you can do rated PvP without running into them, because matchmaking means you'll be going up against people with similar skill and gear.

And I really doubt potheads from the US will affect European servers much.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
forget that last comment about the screenshots xD , however now that Ive fully read it, I noticed there were no dual cores in your CPU comparison. There are still tons of people rocking dual cores you know -_- . Since it scales well it shouldnt be a problem with low end hardware but I really wish you put an athlon and a pentium tossed into the comparison.

mohsentux

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
well... too bad i won't be able to play this game...I just can't afford a monthly 15$ payment.you might think it's a weird thing to say but let me clarify:since the sanctions my country's money has gotten way too weak.a 15$ monthly will be a 500 000 Rials for me :( . i just can't afford that.too bad i really wanted to try this game. Skyrim was one on my favorites.

mohsentux

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
The game clearly favors Nvidia graphics cards, at least with the build tested. But as you also see with the absence of SLI and Crossfire profiles, driver work isn't done on the game, so it's possible AMD just hadn't optimised their drivers while Nvidia had, giving Nvidia a huge artificial advantage. Time will tell if that's the case.
This isn't the first time we've seen this. gotta admit nvidia has always been better with software and drivers.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
"Say what you will about that title, but The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't have any better of a single-player storyline"Total nonsense. This game has the most mature and diverse quest story I have ever seen in any MMO. I mean there are literally moments when I was genuinely pissed off at some really vile quest givers wishing I could kill them and by the end of the quest chain feeling relieved that they came around because I helped them redeem themselves through dialog choices I made. There are very few shallow "go and kill this baddy to save the town" quest lines. There is always some consequence or choice you could hav e made differently. The only thing that makes the story somewhat weaker is that you can't kill people at will and be an really evil character. Even that is changing though, because they are adding thieves guild, dark brotherhood and a justice system with the next update.

There is a dual core in the CPU comparison, the Core i3-3220. It's right above the FX-8350 (ouch, AMD).

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014

But it has hyper threading so it may very well be using those extra logical cores or the extra modular cores of the FX-4170. Just seeing 2 cores in action helps people understand how many cores this game uses. It is a main stream game that can run on a variety of hardware after all. The price per month isnt exactly mainstream but they'll probably get rid of it at some point.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
"Say what you will about that title, but The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't have any better of a single-player storyline"Total nonsense. This game has the most mature and diverse quest story I have ever seen in any MMO. I mean there are literally moments when I was genuinely pissed off at some really vile quest givers wishing I could kill them and by the end of the quest chain feeling relieved that they came around because I helped them redeem themselves through dialog choices I made. There are very few shallow "go and kill this baddy to save the town" quest lines. There is always some consequence or choice you could hav e made differently. The only thing that makes the story somewhat weaker is that you can't kill people at will and be an really evil character. Even that is changing though, because they are adding thieves guild, dark brotherhood and a justice system with the next update.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014

Those corrupt bas**** dictators and U.S officials are really reducing your lifestyle standards arent they. I hope the situation in Iran gets better but its probably gonna talk a revolution for things to improve there. I just watched a documentary like a half hour ago and it went over how satellites took pics of a secret facility with 2 underground fields the size of 10 football fields enriching uranium. U guys are gonna have to tear that place down to bring things back to normal.

Zachasaurs

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Wow this could have been so much better with a new grahics engine but no it was made for console not pc. and it is ever very overpriced with 60 dollars first purchase and a membership. jesus bethesda no game in history has ever cost that much

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I am also really enjoying the game and am really glad they are sticking to the subscription model. As Shinethelight said, monthly fees gets you content. F2P only gets you new items in the cash shop so the company can make more money (example, Tera). Monthly sub means the committed people are playing and gets rid of the bads, yes I hope you all take offense.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Alright so after all my trash talk in this thread I've went out to get the game *face palm* Here is my honest opinion.

- Graphics -
They are actually really nice to look at long as you can play on Ultra with everything like draw distance maxed out. Keeping in mind its an MMO an I couldn't be more pleased with how well it runs on my mobo based on the graphics. All I have is a A-10 6700 Quad-Core 3.7ghz with a EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC an I wasn't noticing any lag at all. The game was flawless as far as the graphics an how it never lagged on me at all.

-Gameplay-
Well.... the quests certainly aren't like regular single player Skyrim or any other games in their series. They have that MMO aspect if you want to call it that. I was trying to read all the dialogue an follow the story but soon after I found myself just clicking really fast to get through it an move on to the next quest. Now, I don't know if they get better or if the beginning quests are simple like that to get you used to the game. Though they definitely need some improvement. I felt like I was reading a storybook instead of following a quest. Might sound good to others but what I'm saying is there wasn't any action that got my heart pumping or made my brain start churning.

-Price-

Should it have been $60 an than a sub fee? Probably not... I agree with the sub fee but with what I got I felt the game itself could have been cut back atlest to $29.99 or so but regardless I'm sure the money is going to good use. For the sake of the game I hope it does anyways. Now onto something everyone should know if you haven't purchased this game....

You will have to use your credit/debit card to play the game. Yes, you get 30 days free but you can't access that until you give them your information an have signed up for a subscription. That to me was a really scammy way of doing things. It never stated that outright an I assumed I could at least try the game out before putting my information into the game. Anyhow it wasn't that big a deal but if you don't have access to those two things it might very well be a deal break. You get home... get all excited... you install the game.... THAN you find out you can't play yet with out that information. *bummer*

-ESO Society-

Well about 30 minutes after being in the game I made my first friend. I told him to follow me an let me show him this chest I found in a dark corner. Than our friendship began lol. Other than that there has already been gold farmers in the game. Bethesda has swiftly banned them forever. So yeah... you cheat you get the perma ban unless you buy their game again of course. Either way... glad to see they got that under wraps cause gold farmers are game ruiners. Other than that everyone was actually pretty nice an everyone was enjoying the game.

-Overall-
If I had to give it my personal rating on a 5 star basis here is what it would get.

Gameplay - 4/5
Graphics - 5/5
Price - 2.5/5
Lag-Free - 5/5 (very smooth playing)

I have to say I'm going to get off this forum an go back to the game an see what else I can find out about it. If you don't have it already I'd say it's worth giving it a shot if you are an elder scrolls fan. Though it's still up in the air rather or not it will be worth it down the road once more updates come out an they done got us hook line an sinker.

So multi-GPU setups have no effect. This is not surprising, in fact, this is a good sign. MMORPGs have a very small number of people who play them with multi-monitors. The lack of Crossfire and SLI support indicates that they were more worried about important things, like game stability.

SLI and Crossfire support will be added. Bear in mind this review was made BEFORE launch.

And there's no direct link between multi-monitor and multi-GPU. You can run multi-monitor off one GPU, and you can run a single monitor off a multi-GPU configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.