News HP Documents Point to Nvidia GeForce GTX 1180 Release

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
HP Omen Obelisk documents list the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1180. An alleged Staples document also mentions the graphics card, which has Nvidia never announced. Read more here.
OMEN-by-HP_Obelisk-21.jpg

ZHIYE LIU
@zhiyeliu
Zhiye Liu is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers processors, graphics cards and motherboard news.

hannibal

Distinguished
Nvidia will shoot their rtx cards down if They release 1180... that is why I think this is bogus... if They release 1180 at the same prise as 2080 then it is like those Intel cpus that cost the same without gpu... and that is neither sensible thing to do.
If Navi would kill 2080, then this would be sensible but Navi is 1070 speed and comes out at autumn or even later. So why would Nvidia want to kill its rtx series? It would mean basically that raytrasing dies out because Nvidia buyers would buy non rtx cards and amd fans would buy Navis without raytrasing...

I think it's highly unlikely. It seems to be a typo and those documents are too old, probably from a time when they didn't yet know the real name of the new turing RTX GPUs and whether they were going to be called 11xx or 20xx. Additionally if they were going to release another GTX high end GPU they would most likely call it GTX 1880 or 1680 after today's GTX 1660 Ti launch and not GTX 1180.

Last edited:

hannibal

Distinguished
according to update it was palceholder.

sucks casue i'd actually buy one as I want a good GPu, but I have ZERO f's given for RTX features.

Lets hope that big Navi at 2020 is fast enough to be fast enough without RTX features... But I am not too hopefull. The people have left AMD gpu department for good reasons during the last year. Navi was developed mainly for consoles and not for discrete gpu. According the news at least. So we have to wait for something that is released later than Navi...
Navi may be good, but if it was developed for consoles, there may be things that makes it less usefull in discrete cards.

The people have left AMD gpu department for good reasons during the last year.
What reasons? That Intel was willing to pay them more to get their own GPU department off the ground? : P That should be no indication of how Navi will perform.

Navi was developed mainly for consoles and not for discrete gpu. According the news at least. So we have to wait for something that is released later than Navi...
Navi may be good, but if it was developed for consoles, there may be things that makes it less usefull in discrete cards.
This makes zero sense. Consoles run games just like how PCs do. It's all more or less the same hardware. They create a special chip for the consoles with the CPU and GPU integrated together, but the architecture itself should logically be the same, and support the same feature set. The current generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft already use AMD APUs, while Nintendo's Switch uses graphics hardware from Nvidia.

What reasons? That Intel was willing to pay them more to get their own GPU department off the ground? : P That should be no indication of how Navi will perform.

This makes zero sense. Consoles run games just like how PCs do. It's all more or less the same hardware. They create a special chip for the consoles with the CPU and GPU integrated together, but the architecture itself should logically be the same, and support the same feature set. The current generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft already use AMD APUs, while Nintendo's Switch uses graphics hardware from Nvidia.
Not exactly... NAVI for consoles is probably very similar to PC but even slight changes combined with the more efficient coding for a dedicated platform can make a huge difference for console vs PC. Raja from AMD (now Intel) said consoles would get roughly 2 to 3x the performance out of a GPU compared to a similar GPU on desktop PC... an example of dedicated hardware is the PS4 Pro checkerboard rendering as well as dedicated anti-aliasing hardware and that alone can make a HUGE difference.

I don't know what you mean by Intel vs AMD's Navi in the slightest though as even the core shader processing units in NVidia's Turing (ignoring RT and Tensor even) is maybe 20% faster than the previous NVidia Pascal. Not to mention Intel's driver support needs work and that alone can make a notable difference in some games.

Games may be far easier to develop for both PC and Consoles at the same time as the INSTRUCTION SET for the CPU and GPU architectures are very SIMILAR but that's not the same as having similar performance for hardware that has on the surface similar specs.