Status
Not open for further replies.

Saithies2

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
So I got the HP TG01-2003W gaming computer pretty cheap. It games nicely but basically locks you out of any meaningful upgrades besides ram and storage space. Since other HPs have proprietary connectors that are overcome by an adapter cable like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XW7RWNH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image, I think I may be able to do the same and replace the stock power supply with a standard power supply. I got an EVGA 600 Watt power supply to work with. I bought the 24 pin to 6 pin adapter other HPs use. This board has only 4 pins and that's where the trouble starts for me but we'll come back to that. First let me say with some Dremel work, a standard PSU WILL fit. Not my best work but nobody will be looking so I don't care. It's securely mounted inside the case. To do this you'll need to cut out the raised area behind the stock psu, enlarge the hole in the back, and drill mount holes. There may be some interference with the bottom slot but I haven't tested that yet. I did have to cut pretty close to the edge of the case because of the placement of the AC power cord but I folded the metal back rather than remove it so it kept more of it's strength.

Now for the hard part, power. First I removed the 4 pin power connector from the stock PSU, it's the same as the standard 12v 4 pin CPU power cable or you can just repin the original 6 pin adapter cable, you'll have 2 pins from the cable hanging off the motherboard connector but the other 4 pins will fit in the connector. By doing this I was left with the blue and purple wires unused and I think they may be the root of my problem. Even though the stock PSU did not use these cables they may be required for a PSU mod somehow but I have not looked into it much. I fear I may be wrong though as the power supply stays on, it's the motherboard that shuts off. I believe they are the power OK pin and standby pin which, part of the reason for this adapter cables original purposes is to change the voltage of that standby cable. Most of the wires pass through the black shrink tubing but the purple standby wire is 5v on a standard power supply but HP decided to use 12v standby. So in order for an ATX power supply to work in the HPs this cable was designed for, the standby voltage gets raised by the chip on the cable from 5v to 12v. As far as I can tell we don't need that chip but I was after the cable to use as a starting point and just in case I'm wrong about that, I have it.

Next, there's a small 7 pin connectorwith 3 populated pins that comes from the stock power supply. The adapter I bought has a similar connector. I discovered the green and black cables on the stock connector are the same as the green and black wires on the standard PSU (the ones you can short to turn the PSU outside of the computer). The gray wire does not appear to be in use as removing it from the stock connector/stock psu, did not affect it booting or running in any way, not even a bios startup message. So the green and black wires appear to only be used by the motherboard to power on the PSU. Wiring the green and black wires up, I am able to power on the computer with the EVGA PSU but it powers off after a few seconds. I'm not home much so this is as far as I have gotten. I thought if I shared my results so far, more interest might be generated and maybe we can figure this out. I will be using my multimeter next chance I get to see if there's more info I can add. I'll admit I'm not great at circuitry so help is welcome. I'll get pictures loaded on imgur when I can and I'll post them. Here

Jul 20, 2022
I have the similar case, got a HP F10-1025ng. Really scuffed what HP made here. But i thought i could just buy a 20 + 4 PSU and then only use the 4 pin? But i dont know much about this. You just stopped my from roasting my motherboard i guess :)
This adapter seems pretty interesting, i think the grey/unused cable may be for grounding, but I am not really sure. Have you tried just putting the full adapter on that socket?
Edit: On my PC, that cable has 4 pins blocked. The cables are in this order: Black, Purple, Grey, Green.
Also, the adapter you showed has the fifth and sixth pin connected together via a black wire. Very interesting

Two questions: What does repin mean and why did you remove the 4 pin from the original psu?

Last edited:

Saithies2

Prominent
Jun 19, 2022
You don't technically need this adapter. The motherboard requires two 12 volt 4 pin connectors for power. After market PSU comes with 1 that fits, they are both the same 4 pin connectors. The adapter I bought did plug in and left 2 pins hanging out but the 4 pins that would have been making contact were not the 12v and ground wires we needed. 2 were wrong so either repin (remove the wire from the plug and move it to another pin) or cut the 4 pin connector off of a PSU and solder it. I had to cut and solder because I couldn't get the pins out. Once you have 12v and grounds to both 4 pin plugs there's the matter of the signal wired at the bottom of the board. Without connec1ting the gray wire at all, I connected the green and black wires from the motherboard to the green and black wires on the PSU. I then hit the PC power switch and it turned on. After a few seconds however it turned off. Don't worry about the plugs on the adapter cable. That's meant for a diifent HP so the thin wires on the adapter mean nothing

Jul 20, 2022
How do you know that it is 12V? Is it some kind of standard? And if you would get a 12V psu, would you have the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.