Huge Frame Drops & Lag Spikes with the GTX 1070.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So I need help. I am getting big frame drops in games. Let's take Star Wars Battlefront as an example. I didn't had this problem before and it started today.. I have in the bigger game modes (walker assault etc.) around the 100 FPS. For some reason I am having big frame drops since today. Frame drops to 50 FPS sometimes... This really makes me sad and mad. Because I payed al lot of money for this GPU and PC. The lag spikes are really random and occur out of nowhere.

Also in GTA V I am suddenly having big lag spikes. When I drive around, when I normally had no lag spikes or sometimes had a really small one, I am now having lag spikes constant.

I even have lag spikes with V-Sync on. Than it happens that there are small frame drops from 60 to 59-57.

The Temperature of both my GPU and CPU are fine. GPU : around 70 celsius. CPU : around 56 celsius.
Drivers up too date.
GPU usage around 90%.
CPU usage around 90% sometimes peeking to 99%.
Enough space on my SSD and HDD.

This is really weird because as I have mentioned multiple times, it just started today..

Origin has crashed twice since today. That also never happened before.

This is my PC:

Intel i5 4460.
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Ram.
Z97S SLI Krait Edition.
1000 GB HDD.
250 EVO Samsung SSD.
Seasonic M12II Evo 620W.
Windows 10

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Well, I never had this problem before. How can Windows 10 cause this problem out of nowhere? Like two days ago I didn't have this problem. I noticed an update got stuck downloading at 95%. But I doubt that is the problem..

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Restarting Windows didn't help. I will do the rest this evening, when I'm home. BIOS version is indeed A.7.

check if you have a restore point from two days ago

if not:
uninstall all updates which were made till two days ago

which virus scanner software are you using

reinstall all drivers, maybe windows 10 installed "better" drivers
since windows updates all the time I boot my system, this can be frustrating if something goes wrong

frank_hnd

Honorable
I also think windows in the culprit. experiencing the same in Overwatch (was fixed yesterday with the halloween update).
my Steam client also crashed during the update process, doesn't download more than 9.2Mb always stuck on the same amount.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I just heard from a friend of mine that he had the same problems too. He said that Windows released a patch which caused this problem. And straight after that he got another patch which fixed it right away. I didn't got this patch yet, maybe it's the one who is stuck at 95%.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

The last update I got was 2 October. So it wouldn't make any sense to be that update causing the problem, since it happened only since yesterday. I will just look for another restore point.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

When was this update released? I had the last update on 2 October. So as I said, it doesn't make any sense, that causing the problem. Because it only happened since yesterday.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

What fixed it for you? A halloween update? I assume that is an update for Overwatch? ;p Did you only happened to you in Overwatch, or also other games? Which is happening in my case..

frank_hnd

Honorable

I will check other games when I get home later today, yesterday I only had time to play overwatch but I was having this problems with Rocket League too. The game was unplayable and Overwatch frames dropped from 130FPS to 50 out of nowhere.

Don't know on what update you are. Okay when you click on the start menu where is your power, settings and file explorer showing up on the left side of the start menu or at the bottom?

Windows upgrade is launched at different times in different places around the world.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

I will look into that when I am at home this evening.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

My friend had that problem also with Rocket League. And as I said, I have it with Battlefront, that I have a FPS from 100-140 and than it drops to 50. Since when do you have this problem?

Well, I myself have the so called anniversary update of windows 10 and since then, my PC even got faster than before a bit.

The main problem with windows 10 is the driver update thing. It doesn´t work that good for now I think. Sometimes drivers will be installed from Windows itself, but the drivers were even better before or more up to date.

The second problem is the compatibility to the games itself, which can only be fixed by updates of the games.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

Power, settings and account options are at the left shown as icons.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

So I did the following:

try restarting window: didn't help.

check the SSD with samsung magician: Results: Sequential Read (MB/s) :549 / Sequential Write (MB/s): 490 / Random Read (IOPS): 91449 / Random Write (IOPS) 72727. Finished in 27 seconds.

check RAM with memtest86+ Can't open that program.

BIOS is version A.7? Yes

run 3dmark again and post the link: I no time for that now

That is the upgrade I was talking about. We got it on 7th since then it has become worse. Windows 10 which was working smooth suddenly started to lag. All the applications started to lag. Even firefox stops responding every now and then. Atleast twice in a day Blue screen pops up saying Windows is facing a minor problem and needs to be shutdown. Then Windows shutdowns. It has become pain.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Okay, I did set my PC back to a restore point from one week ago. Than reinstalled the updates and the update that was stuck. Since than, I played 3 games, and no lag and big frame drops noticed in those three games. I know it is a just too early to say it is solved, but when I played before, the frame drops happened already in the first game, just when I started up my PC. So I will let you guys know this evening how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS