Question I’m at a loss for a fix other than replacing parts

Oct 15, 2023
Specs:
xxx xfx Rx 580 8gb
i5-10500 6c 12t
Msi b460i gaming edge wifi
16 gb PNY xlrb 3200 mhz

I’ve been trying to figure this out by myself for almost a year now, whether it’s replacing parts or just a problem I can’t comprehend. I’ve looked at so many threads and tried to find a solution that way but nobody else seems to have the same problem.

Originally I had moved my components into a new case, once I had moved them over and booted up my mouse and keyboard would turn on but there would be no input whatsoever. I’ve tried multiple keyboards and mice, i switched motherboards and cpus and everything was working fine. So I’ve come to the conclusion that it is either my motherboard or cpu. There is no input in either windows or bios,
I normally am able to solve my problems but I am at a loss I would really appreciate some input, literally.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Does sound like dead hardware to me as well.

Last ditch effort; take out your RX580 and connect your monitor to MoBo. Look if build boots up and if you get an image.

If you do, your GPU is toast.
If you don't and it's business as usual (no life), CPU, MoBo or RAM (or even all three) are dead.

When hardware dies, MoBo is most likely suspect. RAM is more durable and not many instances where dead RAM has been the issue. CPU is the most reliable component inside the PC but CPU isn't invulnerable either.

Btw, make and model (or part number) of your PSU is? Also, how old the PSU is and was it bought new or used/refurbished?

I’ve looked at so many threads and tried to find a solution that way but nobody else seems to have the same problem.
Very common problem actually. Heck, we even have dedicated checklist to do,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/

Oct 15, 2023
Does sound like dead hardware to me as well.

Last ditch effort; take out your RX580 and connect your monitor to MoBo. Look if build boots up and if you get an image.

If you do, your GPU is toast.
If you don't and it's business as usual (no life), CPU, MoBo or RAM (or even all three) are dead.

When hardware dies, MoBo is most likely suspect. RAM is more durable and not many instances where dead RAM has been the issue. CPU is the most reliable component inside the PC but CPU isn't invulnerable either.

Btw, make and model (or part number) of your PSU is? Also, how old the PSU is and was it bought new or used/refurbished?

Very common problem actually. Heck, we even have dedicated checklist to do,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/

I’m not joking when I’ve told you I’ve looked this problem up 50 or more times with different wording every time trying to explain, the problem isn’t my gpu or ram. I’ve tested the gpu with another motherboard and it works fine, I’ve used multiple types of ram sticks. My power supply is also not the issue as I have used it with another motherboard and cpu and it was fine. So it is either my motherboard or cpu, I’m just wondering if there is a fix or if I absolutely have to replace my motherboard/cpu.

Oct 15, 2023
I’m not joking when I’ve told you I’ve looked this problem up 50 or more times with different wording every time trying to explain, the problem isn’t my gpu or ram. I’ve tested the gpu with another motherboard and it works fine, I’ve used multiple types of ram sticks. My power supply is also not the issue as I have used it with another motherboard and cpu and it was fine. So it is either my motherboard or cpu, I’m just wondering if there is a fix or if I absolutely have to replace my motherboard/cpu.
Everything works perfectly fine I’ve loaded into bios and windows Lock Screen I just can’t use my keyboard or mouse but they turn on lighting and all.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I just can’t use my keyboard or mouse but they turn on lighting and all.
Did you try:
* different KB?
* different mice?
* different USB ports?

I’m just wondering if there is a fix or if I absolutely have to replace my motherboard/cpu.
To fix something, you have to know the exact fault within the hardware. Do you know which of the two (CPU or MoBo) has the issue?
Then you'll also need spare parts. Do you know from where to buy correct mosfets/capacitors your MoBo has?
To replace components on MoBo, you need to solder them. Do you have soldering iron and know-how how to use it?

CPU is closed piece of electronics. Bridges and components in it are microscopic. Also, i have yet to see anyone being able to fix CPU, other than manufacturer themselves. And most of the times, they even won't bother with the repair. It's easier to make new CPU than repairing old one.

For 2nd opinion, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics. Usually, it's quite cheap, 20 bucks or so. With this, the exact faulty component would be found out.

Oct 15, 2023
Did you try:
* different KB?
* different mice?
* different USB ports?

To fix something, you have to know the exact fault within the hardware. Do you know which of the two (CPU or MoBo) has the issue?
Then you'll also need spare parts. Do you know from where to buy correct mosfets/capacitors your MoBo has?
To replace components on MoBo, you need to solder them. Do you have soldering iron and know-how how to use it?

CPU is closed piece of electronics. Bridges and components in it are microscopic. Also, i have yet to see anyone being able to fix CPU, other than manufacturer themselves. And most of the times, they even won't bother with the repair. It's easier to make new CPU than repairing old one.

For 2nd opinion, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics. Usually, it's quite cheap, 20 bucks or so. With this, the exact faulty component would be found out.
Yeah I’ve tried multiple keyboards and mice, Ive tried every port, case/IO panel. I got the cpu and motherboard together, I just wouldn’t know which of those would cause that problem or it could be both. I replaced both the cpu and motherboard it worked, I don’t have the materials nor the knowledge to mess with a motherboard though I would rather buy a new one just for reassurance that I would have no more issues. Thank you for your well formulated questions/answers!

Oct 15, 2023
did you plug in the input devices into the motherboard directly or the case´s ports?
did you plug in the front panel correctly?

Does the motherboard have contact / short to the case?
I’ve tried every port, but there was no contact I had standoffs under the mobo. I’m not sure if I shorted it or if this would be a symptom of that.

Oct 15, 2023
Be sure the standoffs are correctly set then

have a look at the motherboard´s USB ports, if the contacts inside are bent or broken or shortened
and if the CPU socket has bent pins
So orginally I had it sitting on the mobo box, what’s interesting about the i5 10500 is it has no pins it’s just a flat on the bottoms. Every usb port works tho as I get power to the keyboard and mouse. I think the personally think it’s the motherboard, I’ve moved it in and out of multiple cases paying no attention to static shock and how it could affect it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what’s interesting about the i5 10500 is it has no pins it’s just a flat on the bottoms
Nothing new there. LGA (Land-Grid Array) has been around for a long time. 1st used back in 1996, but Intel started to implement it in 2004, where by 2006, Intel switch over to LGA for good.

Pins at the bottom of CPU is known as PGA (Pin-Grid Array) and that has been used by AMD a long time. E.g all AM4 socket CPUs are PGA. But the newest from AMD, AM5 socket CPUs, are all LGA as well.

There are other CPU connection types as well, like BGA (Ball-Grid Array), which means that the CPU is soldered to CPU socket. Usually used in laptops and mobile devices.