Sep 23, 2021
hello , first ik nothing about oc and i never tried it or did it .... i had a probleme about voltage my cpu core voltage while doing nothing minimum is 1.300V to 1.350 V , i asked some people and they said that you need to update your bios maybe it's gonna help , so i did update it for the first time in my life , after the update is done all my bios config that i had from the time i brought my pc changed , the temp did go lower a lill bit by 4 , but after that i notice my pc many changes , first in ryzen master peak volt reach 1.5 while even playing really old game , so i changed to manual and put peak voltage in profil 1 to 1.09375 , doing this i fixed that voltage thing , but now when i go to task manager base speed is 4.00 ghz , before was max speed 4.10 ghz , i have :
amd 5 3600x
asus prime b450m-k
gtx 1070 aero
crosair cv 650w bronze
16 ram
1 tera ssd
sorry for my english and ty for your time

Solution
Ryzen isn't Intel. Intel are static cpus, you set the max boost and voltage and that's exactly what the cpu does, regardless of temps or power needs. If it can't, it bluescreens.

Ryzen don't work that way, even with pbo. They are self governing dynamic cpus that won't exceed their programmed limits. Only thing pbo does really is extend the working limits. You have a 65w TDP rated cpu, pbo can bump that limit so if there is sufficient cooling and the cpu voltages are low enough you can use 90w etc.

So using pbo makes no difference for the most part, since the cpu will rarely have need for that limit extension.

As far as voltages go, be careful. Not that the cpu is in any danger, but your conceptions under the assumption it's supposed...
hello , first ik nothing about oc and i never tried it or did it .... i had a probleme about voltage my cpu core voltage while doing nothing minimum is 1.300V to 1.350 V , i asked some people and they said that you need to update your bios maybe it's gonna help , so i did update it for the first time in my life , after the update is done all my bios config that i had from the time i brought my pc changed , the temp did go lower a lill bit by 4 , but after that i notice my pc many changes , first in ryzen master peak volt reach 1.5 while even playing really old game , so i changed to manual and put peak voltage in profil 1 to 1.09375 , doing this i fixed that voltage thing , but now when i go to task manager base speed is 4.00 ghz , before was max speed 4.10 ghz , i have :
amd 5 3600x
asus prime b450m-k
gtx 1070 aero
crosair cv 650w bronze
16 ram
1 tera ssd
you could try to uninstall the ryzen master, update the bios to the latest if it's not the latest, load optimized, and turn off PBO then save and exit. boot to windows and install the latest amd chipset driver from the amd website, install and reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan.

Last edited:
amd 5 3600x
asus prime b450m-k
gtx 1070 aero
crosair cv 650w bronze
16 ram
1 tera ssd

Updating BIOS without updating the chipset drivers could lead to all kind of strange behaviors. Assuming you are runing Windows 10 64 bits, you can donwload newest drivers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 (If not look for the right ones).

This is what I would do, remove all chipset drivers with control panel (if you ever manually installed any at all), then restart the PC go into the BIOS and load defaul / optimized setting and "F10" key to Save and Exit those changes.
After that load Windows and install the new chipset drivers and restart the PC again.

If after doing this everything is working fine, then you can go back to BIOS and enable XMP/DOCP.

Also about everything Koekieezz wrote, very important keep PBO disable!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, somehow pbo still messes up with voltage, tested it on b550m gaming + r5 3600, updated bios to the latest agesa, load all defaults/optimized, enabled PBO (just pbo, nothing else), booted up to win 11 and installed the latest chipset driver, used ryzen balanced power plan, when it is stressed out (i use aida64 stress fpu only), the voltage kinda spiked from 1.3 to 1.4 very inconsistent, while i turned off pbo, it runs pretty well, no voltage spikes (set max at 1.35v), 5c more cooler somehow...

Reactions: SûnnyNîght
Without PBO you are sacrificing some performance but if that satisfies your needs and makes problems you are better off without it. The key to all of that is adequate cooling and voltage control.
You might want to give https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-1-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html a try, it's good at finding optimal performance for optimal voltages and temps. Not really just an OC tool.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen isn't Intel. Intel are static cpus, you set the max boost and voltage and that's exactly what the cpu does, regardless of temps or power needs. If it can't, it bluescreens.

Ryzen don't work that way, even with pbo. They are self governing dynamic cpus that won't exceed their programmed limits. Only thing pbo does really is extend the working limits. You have a 65w TDP rated cpu, pbo can bump that limit so if there is sufficient cooling and the cpu voltages are low enough you can use 90w etc.

So using pbo makes no difference for the most part, since the cpu will rarely have need for that limit extension.

As far as voltages go, be careful. Not that the cpu is in any danger, but your conceptions under the assumption it's supposed to run like Intel. A really old game is going to be highly single threaded, may only use 1 or 2 threads. So the Ryzen can and will use upto 1.5v for those threads, and lower the amperage requirements, in order to get its 65w boost. But unlike Intels, that's Not the whole cpu, just 1 or 2 cores. The rest of the cores will be running 1.1v etc. If that much. With a modern, high multithread game, you'd see the used threads running lower voltages, maybe 1.3v, and apps like Cinebench or occt running all cores, mebe 1.2v. But your boost clocks will be lower, not the maximum. The max is only seen on 1-2 cores.

A Ryzen won't let you blow it up, or tries really hard not to, unless you get crazy stupid with manual settings trying to OC it like it is an intel. Enabling pbo isn't one of those settings.

I'm not a big fan of pbo/Ryzen master, much prefer to believe the engineering geniuses who designed the Ryzen kinda knew what they were doing, and so CTR2.1 is just a fine tuning of that effort, specific to your exact cpu, not broader based settings to cover every cpu.

Let the Ryzen be a Ryzen and do its thing and you'll not have issues.

Solution

As far as voltages go, be careful. Not that the cpu is in any danger, but your conceptions under the assumption it's supposed to run like Intel. A really old game is going to be highly single threaded, may only use 1 or 2 threads. So the Ryzen can and will use upto 1.5v for those threads, and lower the amperage requirements, in order to get its 65w boost. But unlike Intels, that's Not the whole cpu, just 1 or 2 cores. The rest of the cores will be running 1.1v etc. If that much. With a modern, high multithread game, you'd see the used threads running lower voltages, maybe 1.3v, and apps like Cinebench or occt running all cores, mebe 1.2v. But your boost clocks will be lower, not the maximum. The max is only seen on 1-2 cores.

A Ryzen won't let you blow it up, or tries really hard not to, unless you get crazy stupid with manual settings trying to OC it like it is an intel. Enabling pbo isn't one of those settings.

I'm not a big fan of pbo/Ryzen master, much prefer to believe the engineering geniuses who designed the Ryzen kinda knew what they were doing, and so CTR2.1 is just a fine tuning of that effort, specific to your exact cpu, not broader based settings to cover every cpu.

Let the Ryzen be a Ryzen and do its thing and you'll not have issues.
PBO is part of Ryzen algorithm and Ryzen master is also by "engineering geniuses who designed the Ryzen".
CTR is by1usmus which is well known Ryzen guru which picked thru Ryzen, discovered and published data that AMD didn't release to public. Also well known for memory tweaks,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PB is part of Ryzen algorithm, PBO is extra, outside the scope of the normal operations. It's not much more than a backdoor bios setting that allows AIB partners to get more performance out of the cpu. Intrinsically no different to Intel Z boards with the ability to raise the multiplier beyond stock, found only on the AIB boards, not on any Intel manufactured mobo's.

Ryzen Master wasn't written by the people who designed the Ryzens, it's just a utility, written by software techs, most likely the same ppl who have been coding the radeon drivers, as successful and bug free as those have been.

Yuri Bubliy (1usmus) is a genius. A very determined person when it comes to Ryzens performance, as evident with his almost complete dismissal of RM and PBO with CTR and the new Project Hydra for Zen3/Zen3+. Even the bios setup to work those programs says to disable all of it, don't use it, it's basically junk. CTR doesn't change how the Ryzen functions, doesn't add anything extra, just fine tunes the individual chip to be the best it can within its boundaries. The user has the option, like PBO to extend those boundaries, but that's nothing more than raising limitations, not changing functionality. Ryzen master does the same, but does so manually, so unless you factor everything in, like a good Intel OC, just raising limits has the same affect as only bumping an intel multiplier. Only gets you so far.

The best I could do on my 3700x with PBO and RM was a CBr20 of just over 4700 and all core 4.4GHz, 83°C. With CTR2.1 I'm at 5010 all core at 4.2GHz, 69°C and single thread is 63 points higher. I can't argue those results. Anything I play is lower temp and averaging 5-10fps higher. And that includes running dram calculator on both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike