[SOLVED] I am stuck, Windows 10 installation media will not run (orange ccreen of death) ?

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
God bless you if you actually read this all and help me out :)

I am so <Mod Edit> right now because my PC just keeps running into more and more problems its like compound depreciation in operating system performance.
It all started when I wanted to install some RGB fans. Nothing special, just wanted the cheap easy, and aesthetic upgrade. I had to unplug and replug a couple of things including taking out my GPU in order to secure the fans properly, but after installing the fans, my PC would run for a while then get a blue screen of death. So I decided to run a system file check and it told me it couldn't fix some of the problems so I didn't really know what to do from there and decided to reinstall windows. I tried different ways to reinstall windows but now things have just gotten worse. Windows won't even run and just goes straight to the blue screen of death and is now required to reinstall from a USB or Disc.

Now, here's my issue.
I plug the win10 installation USB in, run it, it shows the windows symbol for maybe 1 or 2 seconds then goes to a black screen with an "_" flashing in the top left. Nothing is really concerning about that, but then what happens a few seconds after is orange with white lines. I have googled the issue, it seems to happen more with laptops but I can't seem to find a solution. I have remade the installation USB multiple times, even tried 32-bit windows, and still the same problem.
Today, my final try at this was to try to install Linux UBUNTU, but I guess my BIOS does not even recognize it because it tells me to "insert system disk".

I can confirm to you before you might ask:
I have tried different USB ports.
I have tried running the installation USB on another computer and it worked.
Sometimes it feels like that this will never end until I take it to a repair shop.

KGNmd.jpg

Here are my PC specs
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
i7 930
12GB DDR3 ram (Sometimes it says not all ram is available idk why)
GTX 1060
256GB SSD with broken win10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The previous install of win 10, was it a clean install or an update from 7 or 8? I just wonder if you ever installed win 10 on PC from usb before?
If you upgraded from 7 or 8, you may find only way to get 10 back on was via installing the old OS first and then upgrading it.

Matching ram is good idea, especially if sometimes PC doesn't see it all.

tried using rufus to make USB?

Today, my final try at this was to try to install Linux UBUNTU, but I guess my BIOS does not even recognize it because it tells me to "insert system disk".

Are you sure linux was bootable?

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Hello HydroFlare,

Let's see if we can get your rig up and running again - with or without RGB fans.

1. Can you confirm that your motherboard has six (6) RAM sockets?
  2. Are all sockets populated? (2GB x 6).
  3. Have you experienced any issues with your system prior to installing the RGB fans? (Over the past 12 months, say).
  4. Can you access the BIOS menu? (To change the boot sequence).
  5. Have you checked every connection carefully? (and I do mean EVERY connection).

Off the top of my head, it sounds like a RAM problem. Either one or more modules aren't locked properly or possibly even fried because of static.

At any rate, start by removing the RGB fans completely just to eliminate a potential source of problems.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Hello HydroFlare,

Let's see if we can get your rig up and running again - with or without RGB fans.

1. Can you confirm that your motherboard has six (6) RAM sockets?
  2. Are all sockets populated? (2GB x 6).
  3. Have you experienced any issues with your system prior to installing the RGB fans? (Over the past 12 months, say).
  4. Can you access the BIOS menu? (To change the boot sequence).
  5. Have you checked every connection carefully? (and I do mean EVERY connection).
Off the top of my head, it sounds like a RAM problem. Either one or more modules aren't locked properly or possibly even fried because of static.

At any rate, start by removing the RGB fans completely just to eliminate a potential source of problems.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.
Should have also mentioned this but there was a heavy thunderstorm the other day (this was after the pc started having problems) that knocked out my power could have fked up something in my computer. My RAM is pretty weirdly set up its 2x4gb and 2x2gb since it has two sets of ram slots. Checking every connection carefully in my computer is going to be super hard because it has awful cable management (It's an old upgraded pc ig the first guy who made it just put any random cable that worked).
I have never have had problems with windows in the past 12 months there have been times like this kinda where i would have to reset windows and it would be annoying to fix but nothing else.
The RGB fans are unplugged now also I do have access to the BIOS menu.

GreyCatz

Distinguished
OK, so it's a fairly old system and not one you built yourself.

I googled your motherboard, and the GigaByte board seemed to have 6 RAM sockets - but you say there are 4 sockets on your board?

Also, that RAM setup is very weird indeed. I'd suggest you remove the 2 smaller 2GB modules completely and only use the 2 larger 4GB modules. Place 1 module in the socket closest to the CPU, aka Position 1, and the other module in Position 3. Your current setup is weird, but more importantly it's highly ineffective.

On paper it would seem you lose 4GBs of RAM, but the difference between 8 and 12GBs is almost non-existent - and this is assuming a correct setup. In your case I suspect you were only able to utilize 5 or 6GBs.

In the BIOS menu go to the Boot tab and make sure the boot order picks your removable USB drive first. Also, make a note of the F-key used to open the boot order menu (F11 or F12 typically).

Try another boot-up with the USB and the new RAM setup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The previous install of win 10, was it a clean install or an update from 7 or 8? I just wonder if you ever installed win 10 on PC from usb before?
If you upgraded from 7 or 8, you may find only way to get 10 back on was via installing the old OS first and then upgrading it.

Matching ram is good idea, especially if sometimes PC doesn't see it all.

tried using rufus to make USB?

Are you sure linux was bootable?

Solution

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
OK, so it's a fairly old system and not one you built yourself.

I googled your motherboard, and the GigaByte board seemed to have 6 RAM sockets - but you say there are 4 sockets on your board?

Also, that RAM setup is very weird indeed. I'd suggest you remove the 2 smaller 2GB modules completely and only use the 2 larger 4GB modules. Place 1 module in the socket closest to the CPU, aka Position 1, and the other module in Position 3. Your current setup is weird, but more importantly it's highly ineffective.

On paper it would seem you lose 4GBs of RAM, but the difference between 8 and 12GBs is almost non-existent - and this is assuming a correct setup. In your case I suspect you were only able to utilize 5 or 6GBs.

In the BIOS menu go to the Boot tab and make sure the boot order picks your removable USB drive first. Also, make a note of the F-key used to open the boot order menu (F11 or F12 typically).

Try another boot-up with the USB and the new RAM setup.

Ok I removed the <Mod Edit> ram and it worked but now idk how to install windows without losing all my files.

It asks "where do you want to install windows?"
There is 3 types

Partition 1: System (only 100mb so not enough space)

Partition 2: Primary - 27 free GB however it says :
"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting on this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.
^^^^
However, The next button is still clickable but I am afraid that it my format my drive if i press it? I need confirmation for this.

The last partition is OEM (reserved) only 500mb free space so that also no go.

Idk what to do from here please help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
System partition is the boot partition, its size is correct and is likely mostly empty as the files don't need that much space
The one with 27gb free which says you can't install windows to it... is/was C drive
OEM reserved is also a non starter

you may need to wipe it to proceed. I can show you how to save info off C so you don't lose it all
Boot from the installer:
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
System partition is the boot partition, its size is correct and is likely mostly empty as the files don't need that much space
The one with 27gb free which says you can't install windows to it... is/was C drive
OEM reserved is also a non starter

you may need to wipe it to proceed. I can show you how to save info off C so you don't lose it all
Boot from the installer:
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Ok but how am I meant to restore these files? Like alot of files are gonna be in Appdata and inside the windows folder itself... I want to be able to restore all my programs and data they have.

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Hello HydroFlare,

Good to hear you're making progress - if slowly.

One thing, though: I was under the impression that your problem was mainly hardware-related, i.e. caused by RAM modules not mounted properly.

Have you tried booting the computer 'normally'? If so, do you still get a BSOD?

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Hello HydroFlare,

One thing, though: I was under the impression that your problem was mainly hardware-related, i.e. caused by RAM modules not mounted properly.

Hello HydroFlare,

If I had removed the RAM earlier I reckon it would have been able to startup normally but now it needs reinstalling.

Backing up stuff with only the command prompt is really tricky but I managed to get most of the important things. I cant copy + paste my users folder because i require permission from "system" or whatever and I cant bypass it because its too buggy so I decided to scrap it.

Im going to try just installing on my "primary drive" i went to the bios and made something AHCI idk i don't remember but it fixed the error i had before so im just gonna try install windows on this partition and if i lose everything oh well i have most my programs backed up anyway.

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Hello HydroFlare,

How do i fix the error "this partition is too small. Make the size fo this partition at least 10397MB or select another partition" I have 28.9GB of free space on this partition...

EDIT: I did disk clean and it just straight up wiped it so now I can install windows but I have no more files oh well :( bit sad but ig its time for a fresh start...

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Well, it's been something of a journey that hopefully will yield a working computer at the end.

I know it's a pain to lose all your files - I've been there so many times it's frankly embarrassing - but now you should have a computer that works and a fresh Windows installation.

On a final note: You did say the computer is a bit old, and that it looks a bit messy inside. Even so, you should really consider a full check of all connections, including the GPU (make sure it's properly locked in its socket) and the SATA cables running from the motherboard to the SSD.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Well, it's been something of a journey that hopefully will yield a working computer at the end.

I know it's a pain to lose all your files - I've been there so many times it's frankly embarrassing - but now you should have a computer that works and a fresh Windows installation.

On a final note: You did say the computer is a bit old, and that it looks a bit messy inside. Even so, you should really consider a full check of all connections, including the GPU (make sure it's properly locked in its socket) and the SATA cables running from the motherboard to the SSD.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.
It might sound like its over.. however its nots. Things just keep getting harder.
I am stuck on this error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log files" I have googled it and tried every little diskpart trick and the same message pops up everytime i try to install on my empty SSD. I honestly have no clue what to do because I have tried everything and the error isnt very specific enough. If you could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Since you've mentioned Diskpart I assume you can access the CMD program. If so, go through the following procedure:

Using Diskpart (as ADMINISTRATOR):

1. Type LIST DISK
  2. Type SELECT DISK [the number next to your SSD]
  3. Type CLEAN
  4. Type CONVERT GPT
  5. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
  6. Type LIST VOLUME
  7. Type SELECT VOLUME [the number next to your SSD]
  8. Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
  9. Type EXIT and close the CMD program
You now have a completely empty, formatted disk that Windows Setup should be able to recognize.

Start the computer with the bootable USB and select "Install without keeping any files" when asked (I know the wording is a bit different but you're going for a clean install). Windows Setup should then display the disk you've just formatted in Diskpart. From this point on there shouldn't be any issues. Just remember to remove the USB when the count-down bar hits zero and the screen goes black.

Cheers.

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Since you've mentioned Diskpart I assume you can access the CMD program. If so, go through the following procedure:

Using Diskpart (as ADMINISTRATOR):

1. Type LIST DISK
  2. Type SELECT DISK [the number next to your SSD]
  3. Type CLEAN
  4. Type CONVERT GPT
  5. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
  6. Type LIST VOLUME
  7. Type SELECT VOLUME [the number next to your SSD]
  8. Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
  9. Type EXIT and close the CMD program
You now have a completely empty, formatted disk that Windows Setup should be able to recognize.

Start the computer with the bootable USB and select "Install without keeping any files" when asked (I know the wording is a bit different but you're going for a clean install). Windows Setup should then display the disk you've just formatted in Diskpart. From this point on there shouldn't be any issues. Just remember to remove the USB when the count-down bar hits zero and the screen goes black.

Cheers.

HydroFlare

Commendable
Jun 9, 2019
Fixed it by doing Diskpart, select disk 0, clean, convert mbr. For some reason windows doesnt want to install on gpt. Maybe because my motherboard is too old.

TRENDING THREADS