[SOLVED] I cloned my hdd to sdd and this happened

Apr 24, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
So i have brought a crucial ssd (1TB) and when it came I wanted to move everything from my hdd to sdd so yea i cloned it using acronis (im new to all this). Once cloned i could boot off from my ssd and then i was going to wipe the hdd to use as storage but when i went to the devices and drivers tab i realized it said my new ssd had only 500gb and not the 1tb so i went on google etc and looked for answers but nothing worked.

I have tried to click extend volume but its gray and i tried to shrink 1gb etc nothing was working so i thought id just delete the volume on my sdd and hopefully start afresh and just clone windows onto my ssd using aomei however once i did that i formatted my drive and it still says that 500gb is used for something else. Like i said im new and i really need help if anyone wants to screenshare my discord is Newk#5354

If you know of any solutions please let me know ill try it and give feedback on here.. sorry if this isnt in the right area im just so new to all this

Solution
Which drive is SUPPOSED to be the 1TB Crucial?
Disk 1 or Disk 2?

From that Disk Management window, it is Disk 2, containing the F partition.
Which you are not currently booting from.

Redo the whole clone thing.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait...
I know that if you use the free version of AOMEI the destination partition is always the size of the source partition.

I also know that the paid version of AOMEI lets you expand the destination partition.

As far as why disk management isn't letting you do it....go through this....

If Extend Volume is grayed out, check the following:

• Disk Management or Computer Management was opened with administrator permissions
  • There is unallocated space directly after (to the right) of the volume, as shown in the graphic above. If there's another volume in-between the unallocated space and the volume you want to extend, you can either delete the in-between volume and all files on it (make sure to back up or move any important files first!), use a non-Microsoft disk partitioning app that can move volumes without destroying data, or skip extending the volume and instead create a separate volume in the unallocated space.
  • The volume is formatted with the NTFS or ReFS file system. Other file systems can't be extended, so you'd have to move or back up the files on the volume and then format the volume with the NTFS or ReFS file system.
  • If the disk is larger than 2 TB, make sure that it's using the GPT partitioning scheme. To use more than 2 TB on a disk, it must be initialized using the GPT partitioning scheme. To convert to GPT, see Change an MBR disk into a GPT disk.
  • If you still can't extend the volume, try searching the Microsoft community - Files, folders, and storage site, and if you don't find an answer, post a question there and Microsoft or other members of the community will try to help, or Contact Microsoft Support.

Apr 24, 2020
I know that if you use the free version of AOMEI the destination partition is always the size of the source partition.

I also know that the paid version of AOMEI lets you expand the destination partition.

As far as why disk management isn't letting you do it....go through this....

If Extend Volume is grayed out, check the following:

• Disk Management or Computer Management was opened with administrator permissions
  • There is unallocated space directly after (to the right) of the volume, as shown in the graphic above. If there's another volume in-between the unallocated space and the volume you want to extend, you can either delete the in-between volume and all files on it (make sure to back up or move any important files first!), use a non-Microsoft disk partitioning app that can move volumes without destroying data, or skip extending the volume and instead create a separate volume in the unallocated space.
  • The volume is formatted with the NTFS or ReFS file system. Other file systems can't be extended, so you'd have to move or back up the files on the volume and then format the volume with the NTFS or ReFS file system.
  • If the disk is larger than 2 TB, make sure that it's using the GPT partitioning scheme. To use more than 2 TB on a disk, it must be initialized using the GPT partitioning scheme. To convert to GPT, see Change an MBR disk into a GPT disk.
  • If you still can't extend the volume, try searching the Microsoft community - Files, folders, and storage site, and if you don't find an answer, post a question there and Microsoft or other members of the community will try to help, or Contact Microsoft Support.
i hate to be that guy but ive got no idea what that means can i just screenshare with you on discord or any other apps?

Apr 24, 2020
Please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.

At the end of the cloning process, did you:
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive
Power UP with only the new drive connected?

If not, do that now.
sorry also i did power off and removed the old drive and it did boot up but i had half the memory and couldnt expand but then i deleted volume and still have 500gb after formatting it etc

Apr 24, 2020
Unclear as to which drive is which.

Please describe what is on each.
Disk 0 =
Disk 1 =
Disk 2 =
etc...
Disk 2 is the new ssd should have nothing on it i did clone 500gb of disk 1 onto it however i thought i deleted it apparently not disk 0 is an ssd that i used for a steam game and disk one is the main disk with my games and windows os

Apr 24, 2020
how do i free up the other 500gb?
Can you please show full screenshot from Disk Management with all 3 drives visible?
(It shows only 2 of them)

Anyway - you have to redo cloning. It's not cloned properly, partition F: is empty.
Clean Disk 2 (1TB);
Reclone Disk 1 to Disk 2;
Shutdown system, leave only 1TB drive connected and boot your system;
Shutdown again, reconnect drives, change settings in BIOS to boot from 1TB drive;
Boot into windows and clean 500GB drive.
After that delete 466GB recovery partition and extend windows partition to full size of the drive.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020
Can you please show full screenshot from Disk Management with all 3 drives visible?
(It shows only 2 of them)

Anyway - you have to redo cloning. It's not cloned properly, partition F: is empty.
Clean Disk 2 (1TB);
Reclone Disk 1 to Disk 2;
Shutdown system, leave only 1TB drive connected and boot your system;
Shutdown again, reconnect drives, change settings in BIOS to boot from 1TB drive;
Boot into windows and clean 500GB drive.
After that delete 466GB recovery partition and extend windows partition to full size of the drive.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15SFIqfn2pbvSqfMT9pL_ANigeodCYM0zyuiGLZ-JiFA/edit?usp=sharing