Aug 31, 2020
Hello there.
I have a 9900k on a asus rog strix z390-e gaming; I have had a lot of issues with this build (details below) a lot of BSOD and so, finally I managed to change my PSU (as a SATA cable was... well, "bloated" so the connection would fail) and the ssd drive. My actual Issue is that yesterday I got a BSOD meaning "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" while watching movies, so today I decided to Run some tests (i have now activated the minidumps if something happens) and discover that, If I run Prime95 my temps will go over 100 degrees and a Red light will show up in my Motherboard, then If i stop using the software it will dissapear. Then I tried cinebench r20 and at the very end of the bench the red led light appeared again and using HWMonitor I discover my temps were at 100 degrees celsius.

Is that red light (It is labeled as "CPU") showing me that there is CPU throttling because of the high temps? or is it something else?.
I have had the PC for like 2 months, on the first 3 days I got 3 bsod, changed the case for more airflow, then got another one, and another one, finally I changed my SSD drive and a M.2 I had for 2 M.2, and no BSOD (for a month) till yesterday, not even gaming or doing anything else, just... netflix.

I have:
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU: i9 9900K
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER BLACK GAMING
COOLING: I have a cooler master ma610p, 3 Intake fans, 1 outake
RAM: 2X8 3000 CRUCIAL BALLISTIX RAM (OC with XMP) (In like 4 days i will get in my hands a 2x8 trident z 3600 ones)
2 SSD: (1TB and 512G, same model): XPG SX6000 LITE PCIE GEN3X4 M.2 2280
PSU: ROG THOR 850 W (just for the fancy looks).
My case is a likely unknown one, it is a gamemax abyss TR 908.

Solution
Now, if i remove the fan blocking the glass panel (making him a NH-D15S, temps go up by 3-5 degrees) and, with that and glass panel on temps go up to... well, nearly the same as before.
A)That should be more than enough to tell you that the chassis is the core of your cooling woes.
Any cooler is only going to be as efficient from what the chassis allows.

B)Yes, the thermal results you got with the panel off were indeed nice.
Prime 95 AVX on is too much for many coolers, and isn't practical for many users - that it didn't hit 100C under that load wasn't bad though. In game thermals aren't going to be on the level of Prime 95 AVX off either.
I'm not going to count the fact those results were achieved with the panel off - we...
Aug 31, 2020
The red light is a visual reaction of the thermal throttle warning.

"CPU: i9 9900K
COOLING: I have a cooler master ma610p, 3 Intake fans, 1 outake"
No amount of chassis fans is gonna fix that. That cooler is underspecced for that cpu.
So I should get liquid cooling then? or is it another air related cooling that can handle my CPU?
Another thing, what about those BSOD? are those normal? or are they related to Temps?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
360mm hybrid cooler.
Air coolers, only if the bios is running Intel defaults - no overclocking, no Asus MCE, and power limits & duration left at defaults.
Cryorig R1 Universal
NH-D15S
NH-U12A
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2

Another thing, what about those BSOD? are those normal? or are they related to Temps?
Might be, might not be. There's not that much info to go on.
A)Tried running with all overclocks and XMP removed?

B)If you carried over the C drive from an older build, did you do a clean install of Windows?

C)Are you keeping up with motherboard driver updates - chipset, SATA, Lan, bios, audio...

Aug 31, 2020
360mm hybrid cooler.
Air coolers, only if the bios is running Intel defaults - no overclocking, no Asus MCE, and power limits & duration left at defaults.
Cryorig R1 Universal
NH-D15S
NH-U12A
Scythe FUMA 2

B)If you carried over the C drive from an older build, did you do a clean install of Windows?

C)Are you keeping up with motherboard driver updates - chipset, SATA, Lan, bios, audio...
Okay, Imma try finding those, Thank you very much!
A) the first like... 5 BSOD were when I didn't even knew what a XMP was and my 3000 kit was running at 2666; never have done anyking of overclock more than that and sometimes to the GPU (never had issues or BSOD while being with my GPU OC).
B) New device!, I have done a lot of clean installs since the first BSOD and every one of them.
C) Indeed, Nothing new to be updated in my device, last one I installed was BIOS a week ago that I discover there was a new update.

I just... don't know! First thing I did was to contact the place where it was built (since they gave me warranty) They "tested" it and nothing was wrong. I did some tests myself (no red led while using prime95) and nothing wrong, memtest86 was also fine. Then they just changed both the m.2 i had and then my SSD to the ones I listed above. Then I decided to change my PSU as I had a gamemax and I..dont really trust in them tbh, so i got myself the ROG THOR cof cof seasonic one.
Since then no issues till yesterday where just by watching movies the Whea uncorrectable error (not the first time, some of the first 5 BSOD I got where that one, critical process died and another one like "kernel data inpage error" (before the m.2 and psu swap) got in my sight (i have also played games on ultra and no issues there, thats why this is so strange).

Im just.. waiting my trident z ram, hoping the issue is RAM related (I guess it is not and maybe is more temperature related). If not, well.. I think I must change another hardware besides the cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Windows system file checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

B)Scan PC for viruses/malware. Adwcleaner is a handy free tool if you're only running an AV: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

C)Do the 2 storage drives have their own drivers/firmware? You can find out by checking the product support page. A software package or other would be there, if available.

D)Running any 'automatic driver installer' apps, like Driver Booster? Remove it.

Most of the errors you stated sound driver related.

Reliability Monitor - Windows Search - may be able to tell you the source of the BSODs.

Aug 31, 2020
A)Windows system file checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

B)Scan PC for viruses/malware. Adwcleaner is a handy free tool if you're only running an AV: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

C)Do the 2 storage drives have their own drivers/firmware? You can find out by checking the product support page. A software package or other would be there, if available.

D)Running any 'automatic driver installer' apps, like Driver Booster? Remove it.

Most of the errors you stated sound driver related.

Reliability Monitor - Windows Search - may be able to tell you the source of the BSODs.

A)Process done. What does that do?
B)Done, nothing found (at least the software told me that).
C)I have been trying to find their own software but not, there is nothing.
D) Nope, never been a fan of third party driver helper, I just use windows update and official websites (nvidia, asus (bios), etc.)
The reliability monitor only shows "Windows didnt close correctly" (I have my computer in spanish so I just translated that) and nothing else, everytime I get a BSOD it stucks in 0% I just hold the power button.

Edit: I just entered my event vysor and found 2 things:
1: Same second as the bsod happened it says something like this:
"dump file could not be created due to an error during dump creation"
2. 1 second before the BSOD: "Disk 0 has the same identifiers as one or more disks attached to the system. Visit the Microsoft Support Service website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue"
Edit 2: surprinsingly I just wanted to see if there was any newer versiion of drivers on the asus support page and.. yes there are, I have a 2 year older audio driver for example, not even armory crate have had detected that or windows update, I just found out for myself... Im getting kinda worried it is on a lot more of drivers... for example, when I look to my disk units drivers it says "Standard NVM Express controller" and it is from 2006... is there any newer versrion?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
UPDATE:
They changed my CPU and now they are changing my Motherboard, but they gave me 3 options.
  1. MSI MEG Z390 ACE
  2. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER
  3. ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO

Im damn worried about the Hero one being that bad handling temperatures but I dont really like the MSI one, I loved the AORUS one but I do hate its RGB software....
Which one is the recommended?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Process done. What does that do?
Windows system file checker scans for missing or corrupted Windows files.

UPDATE:
They changed my CPU and now they are changing my Motherboard, but they gave me 3 options.
  1. MSI MEG Z390 ACE
  2. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER
  3. ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
Im damn worried about the Hero one being that bad handling temperatures but I dont really like the MSI one, I loved the AORUS one but I do hate its RGB software....
Which one is the recommended?
Huh? What's so bad about the Hero?
I don't see any of the 3 boards having an issue with a 9900K...

Aug 31, 2020
Windows system file checker scans for missing or corrupted Windows files.

Huh? What's so bad about the Hero?
I don't see any of the 3 boards having an issue with a 9900K...
That it is only a 4 +2 phase (ASUS says it is an 8 phase but it is really a 4 phase), and the aorus one is a 12 phase; so... while being on load VRMs temperatures on Hero would get nearly 10-20 degrees hotter than on the Aorus one. Been stuck on that desicion a lot of time. Hero is more beautiful with better RGB software and BIOS than the aorus master... but the aorus will get better VRMs temperatures while doing stuff. So... performance or looks... what should I choose...

The z390e gaming has 4 phases too, and those temps on 100 degrees could not even be solved with a liquid cooler (AIO), everytime XMP gets activated temps fly to 100 degrees while on prime95

Aug 31, 2020
That it is only a 4 +2 phase (ASUS says it is an 8 phase but it is really a 4 phase), and the aorus one is a 12 phase; so... while being on load VRMs temperatures on Hero would get nearly 10-20 degrees hotter than on the Aorus one. Been stuck on that desicion a lot of time. Hero is more beautiful with better RGB software and BIOS than the aorus master... but the aorus will get better VRMs temperatures while doing stuff. So... performance or looks... what should I choose...

The z390e gaming has 4 phases too, and those temps on 100 degrees could not even be solved with a liquid cooler (AIO), everytime XMP gets activated temps fly to 100 degrees while on prime95
Even on a Gaming X max who has 10 phases... so.. i dont know what to put on that 9900k with xmp to make those temps go down.

Aug 31, 2020
Jum
Yeah, Asus likes LOVES to use phase doublers. It works though.

So it runs that much hotter, but is the final number(C) even considered dangerous to the VRMs? They tend to have even higher thermal limits than cpus do, like 110-120C.
Jm, can VRMs temps affect indirectly CPU temps?

What would you preffer? The asus one (I would have to be like 3 weeks without my PC) or should I just go with the aorus (will be here on monday-tuesday maximum)?

Im just tired of getting 100 degrees while on prime95 or even while being rendering videos... I just want te have my high end pc working fine with my XMP enable and maybe a little overclock in the future (after reading a lot).
Thats why aorus is calling me... but that RGB software kills me haha, im on that point were one of my biggest corcenrn is if my rog thor psu would work on the ARGB header of the aorus

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Jm, can VRMs temps affect indirectly CPU temps?
No, but when they thermal throttle, they reduce the power supplied to the cpu.

What would you preffer?
Up to you. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Im just tired of getting 100 degrees while on prime95 or even while being rendering videos...
Wait a minute... I had to go back and re-read the OP.
You mention cpu thermal throttling, which makes sense considering the cooler, but not that the VRMs were too.
So were both cpu and VRMs thermal throttling? If the VRM wasn't, it shouldn't be a concern with these new boards.

Aug 31, 2020
No, but when they thermal throttle, they reduce the power supplied to the cpu.

Up to you. I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Wait a minute... I had to go back and re-read the OP.
You mention cpu thermal throttling, which makes sense considering the cooler, but not that the VRMs were too.
So were both cpu and VRMs thermal throttling? If the VRM wasn't, it shouldn't be a concern with these new boards.
I understand... last question... Im just left with two MOBOs, the msi and the aorus... I have seen a lot of test and Aorus board gets like in a range of 5 to 10 less temperature on the VRMs than the msi. But on the other hand RGB software (Im a very big fan of RGB and Have like 3 strips, then I have my psu with rgb, my fans (even bought rgb ram) on MSI is WAY better than on AORUS, even its BIOS is better... Im just wondering, would it really be worth it to get in my hands an AORUS that will stress me a lot with that crappy software only for VRMs temperatures... or should I get a little bit more high VRMs temperatures on MSI but i would not be as stressed with the RGB.
I know it is my desicion but im not that well informed on pc hardware so I dont know if it is worth the risk.

I would even get the msi tomorrow! so... damn, i dont know.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have seen a lot of test and Aorus board gets like in a range of 5 to 10 less temperature on the VRMs than the msi.
Ok, but is the 'hotter' board dangerous in any way? If not, you're worrying over nothing.

I know it is my desicion but im not that well informed on pc hardware so I dont know if it is worth the risk.
You are correct, but 'worth the risk'? On a purely aesthetic feature?
That you even need more software to control RGB is a headache in my eyes. The fewer 3rd party apps one has to cram in their PC, the better.
I already covered the hardware end of things for you: Any one of those boards can handle a 9900K without issue.
Now, it's your turn to choose based on aesthetics. I think you already know which one you want...

Aug 31, 2020
-
360mm hybrid cooler.
Cryorig R1 Universal
NH-D15S
NH-U12A
Scythe FUMA 2

Followed your advice and got a NH-D15, had to remove glass side panel (the fan is very big), temps went down a lot, While doing prime95 without avx it stays on 78-80 degrees (as time passes they began to go down like 2 or 3 degrees), (before it was at 95 in a moment), with avx temps get to 93 maximum. While normal usage of PC temps stay at 60s, havent been able to try while gaming but, i suspect it will go up to 70-75 as before it went up to nearly 80s. And while doing nothing temps stay at 35-37 (as PWN makes the fans ultra slow. if fans are at full speed temps will go down to 29-30)

Now, if i remove the fan blocking the glass panel (making him a NH-D15S, temps go up by 3-5 degrees) and, with that and glass panel on temps go up to... well, nearly the same as before.

So.. i prefer to have glass panel off and cover it with something while i dont use it to avoid dust; and then i will probably get a better air flow case, but by now im happy with that 15-20 degrees below.

Are those temps nice? i see that my CPU fans are only at 90% of speed while being on 80 degrees, so, i think that temps while reduce some more.
Should I put those fans to full speed always? They make some noise but i dont really care that much, Im also willing to get a headset so, i will notice anything about that sound. Then.. i just gotta accept that 9900 is a hot CPU as I dont wanna get an AIO as it scares me and (i dont have more money to invest rn)-

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)That should be more than enough to tell you that the chassis is the core of your cooling woes.

Prime 95 AVX on is too much for many coolers, and isn't practical for many users - that it didn't hit 100C under that load wasn't bad though. In game thermals aren't going to be on the level of Prime 95 AVX off either.
I'm not going to count the fact those results were achieved with the panel off - we already know that the chassis isn't adequate for your current hardware combination.

C)If you don't mind the noise, there's really no harm in running the fans higher if you want to. You don't really risk harming the cpu unless it literally just SITS at 85C+ for extended periods of time.

D)Hybrid coolers aren't as bad as some have made them out to be. I was scared of getting one too - at first, but my curiosity got the better of me.
I tried out my very first one on the gpu back in June, and it's been fine so far.
If there's any real downside to them, it's this: the user needs to have a backup cooler on hand when the pump inevitably fails/shows signs of failure.
You literally can't use the PC with the cooler in that state; the part being cooled hits critical limits with little to no effort.

Air coolers don't suffer from this at all; the heatsink doesn't 'break', and even if the fan(s) fail, the heatsink can still be cooled by the chassis fans.
Hybrid coolers are also just as dependent on good airflow; don't expect to keep the device reasonably cool on the liquid flow alone.

Solution
Aug 31, 2020

I'm not going to count the fact those results were achieved with the panel off - we already know that the chassis isn't adequate for your current hardware combination.

C)If you don't mind the noise, there's really no harm in running the fans higher if you want to. You don't really risk harming the cpu unless it literally just SITS at 85C+ for extended periods of time.

D)Hybrid coolers aren't as bad as some have made them out to be. I was scared of getting one too - at first, but my curiosity got the better of me.
I tried out my very first one on the gpu back in June, and it's been fine so far.
If there's any real downside to them, it's this: the user needs to have a backup cooler on hand when the pump inevitably fails/shows signs of failure.
You literally can't use the PC with the cooler in that state; the part being cooled hits critical limits with little to no effort.

Air coolers don't suffer from this at all; the heatsink doesn't 'break', and even if the fan(s) fail, the heatsink can still be cooled by the chassis fans.
Hybrid coolers are also just as dependent on good airflow; don't expect to keep the device reasonably cool on the liquid flow alone.
Thank you! Thats about it so! One last question, if i put my CPU fans on full speed, will it affect its lifetime?