[SOLVED] I have a GTX 1050 and a Ryzen 3 1200 and My Gpu Usage is Low and Cpu Usage is High!!!!

noahcs

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I have a GTX 1050 and Ryzen 3 1200 and My CPU Usage is High and GPU Usage is Low on CSGO? I have tried many fixes but none seem to be working anyone have a solution??

Solution
So with the issue now being known, it's not all that surprising.

Until the Ryzen 3000 series, AMD were heavily behind on IPC. It's why when chasing high framerates Intel is still recommended. With CSGO being heavily thread limited and clockspeed reliant (as I understand it) then the early Ryzens wouldn't have matched some of the older Intel CPUs. Bear in mind the G4560 could outperform even the i7-7700k given the correct workload, if memory serves.

It's starting to sound like this was the wrong upgrade for you.
So, you need to provided a little more info. What resolution is your monitor. Is it only CS:GO?

List your full PC specs, including ram, mobo, PSU etc.

First things first though. The Ryzen 1200 is a entry level CPU, so you can expect it to max out in lots of games, and usage scenarios.

noahcs

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
My full specs are
Gtx 1050
Ryzen 3 1200
16gb of DDR4
500W evga psu
asus b350 motherboard
The fixes i have tries are high performance mode and deleting and installing windows again none have worked also note that before i upgraded my cpu i had a pentium G4560 and it worked fine with the 1050??

Jinxterino

Commendable
Nov 3, 2019
CSGO is known for being CPU intensive rather than GPU intensive. It simply utilizes your entire CPU while it leaves GPU because it doesn't need it.

Do you struggle to achieve a specific frame rate/performance?

Last edited:

noahcs

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
CSGO is known for being CPU intensive rather than GPU intensive. It simply utilizes your entire CPU while it leaves GPU because it doesn't need it.

Do you struggle to achieve a specific frame rate/performance?
Yeah on my old intel rig on all low i was getting in the 200s and now on all low im getting like 120

So with the issue now being known, it's not all that surprising.

Until the Ryzen 3000 series, AMD were heavily behind on IPC. It's why when chasing high framerates Intel is still recommended. With CSGO being heavily thread limited and clockspeed reliant (as I understand it) then the early Ryzens wouldn't have matched some of the older Intel CPUs. Bear in mind the G4560 could outperform even the i7-7700k given the correct workload, if memory serves.

It's starting to sound like this was the wrong upgrade for you.

Solution
Gosh, i'm not really sure what to say about some of the answers in this thread, but not all are accurate.

To the OP, Your CPU and GPU are actually quite well balanced. The GPU /CPU usage is not explained at all by the other posters. Rather there are some generic answers that don't provide you with a solution.

The key here, is what resolution you are playing. Without knowing that, it's very difficult to make a determination. Your GTX1050 is a low- mid range GPU. You will not get more than average performance at 1080p. To get high FPS, it's most likely you will have to dial all in game settings to low.

Sure an Intel CPU might give you 10% more FPS, but that does not account for the nearly 50% drop you get compared to your previous set up.

Bear in mind the G4560 could outperform even the i7-7700k given the correct workload, if memory serves.

As for this statement, it's simply untrue, in any usage scenario. I just don't know what to say to this statement. I'd ask the poster of this reply to give any example where this is true. Because it's simple not the case. This is fact.

Jinxterino

Commendable
Nov 3, 2019
CSGO being CPU intensive is not a generic answer... it's a fact and that's all anyone needs to know about this game when choosing CPU. A simple search for Ryzen 3 1200 performance shows that in CSGO it struggles even in 720p so it doesn't matter at what rez he is playing because this CPU will always sit at 100% usage is most commonly used rez. ppl use to play this game. It's simply too weak for CSGO and needs to be replaced with something which has higher clocks per core. Heck, even Gen 1 i5 760 with 4 cores at 3.8Ghz can handle CSGO at 1080p on low settings with decent and smooth performance.
R3 3200G would be a good replacement for CSGO if the user is on a tight budget.

Last edited:
CSGO being CPU intensive is not a generic answer... it's a fact and that's all anyone needs to know about this game when choosing CPU. A simple search for Ryzen 3 1200 performance shows that in CSGO it struggles even in 720p so it doesn't matter at what rez he is playing because this CPU will always sit at 100% usage is most commonly used rez. ppl use to play this game. It's simply too weak for CSGO and needs to be replaced with something which has higher clocks per core. Heck, even Gen 1 i5 760 with 4 cores at 3.8Ghz can handle CSGO at 1080p on low settings with decent and smooth performance.

Oh, dear. Another untrue statement. What do you base this on. Link something. Rather than just stating misconceptions.

CS:GO, is not CPU intensive. BF V is CPU intensive. I think you are misunderstanding the issue. I would agree that single core performance is important in CS:GO for FPS, but that doesn't mean it's CPU intensive. It means it's single core reliant on fast CPU speed. I don't disagree with that.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Make sure Multicore Rendering is enabled in your video settings in game. I am not very knowledgeable on this subject, but I know that if you want peak performance then you should enable this setting.

Jinxterino

Commendable
Nov 3, 2019
Oh, dear. Another untrue statement. What do you base this on. Link something. Rather than just stating misconceptions.

CS:GO, is not CPU intensive. BF V is CPU intensive. I think you are misunderstanding the issue. I would agree that single core performance is important in CS:GO for FPS, but that doesn't mean it's CPU intensive. It means it's single core reliant on fast CPU speed. I don't disagree with that.
Can you be less vague and precisely say what is untrue and while you are doing it show any evidence proving that it's untrue rather than throwing subjective opinions as if they meant anything?

Anyway, the term "CPU intensive" can mean more than one thing but in term of CSGO, it means that the game relies more on CPU performance (mostly single core) rather than GPU. In general, the newer architecture your CPU has and the fastest it is per core the better your CSGO will perform at least when it comes to FPS which is what people really care for in this game.

I think I've been pretty accurate, but how about this:
A simple search for Ryzen 3 1200 performance shows that in CSGO it struggles even in 720p so it doesn't matter at what rez he is playing because this CPU will always sit at 100%

It's just not true. Stop with that kinda crap. Illustrate it if you wish, otherwise move on. It;s simply not true. CS:GO is neither CPU or GPU intensive, what matters most is clockspeed on a single core, and a relatively comparative GPU, which Ive already explained, and which the OP has. This statement above, particularly this: 'so it doesn't matter at what rez he is playing because this CPU will always sit at 100%' is complete garbage.

Again, if you have something to back your original post, then please link it. But I suspect you have nothing to offer there.

To summarise: The OP's CPU/GPU combination is balanced and well matched with the game being played. If the OP want more performance, they need both a CPU/GPU upgrade to push more FPS.

Anyway, I digress. I won't respond to further inaccuracies.