[SOLVED] I have a ping problem

Jan 19, 2020
Hi, I play video games as my job and I am getting a problem with my internet... Let me explain I play Fortnite competitively and I used to get 20 ping on NA-East (my own server) and now I get 60 and sometimes spikes to 150 which is unplayable. The weird think is that I sometimes I get higher ping on my own server than a server across the world.... This started to happen about 2 months ago. Heres a few things I have tried:
-Factory reset router
-Factory reset PC
-Traded in my modem for a new one

Solution
Your first step is to verify that nothing in your house is doing some kind of backup of software update.

That unfortunately is the peak load time for many ISP as lot of people are watching stuff like netfilx. If your ISP has a capacity issue you will see stuff like this.

You will need to to the testing during this time to try to find it. If the ISP has a capacity issue they will never admit it.
You need to spend some time running commands like tracert and ping to try to determine where in the path the problem is.

I will first assume you use a ethernet connection.

In some ways what you hope to see is a problem in the first 2 hops. The first one is your router and issues here could be the pc or the router. The second hop is your connection to the ISP. Delays here mostly are related to over utilization. What would be bad is if the ISP over sold the network and your neighbors usage is causing this. You need to be very sure your usage does not spike to 100%. This is mostly download but can be upload if the rate is small.

Things past the first couple hops you can do very little about. In some cases it could be your ISP does not have good connection options to get to the ISP that runs the server. Pretty much the only fix is to get a different ISP that might have a better path to the server. Most people do not have much choice in ISP to their house.

Although unlikely a vpn service might improve this. In general the overhead and the extra devices the data must pass through tend to make vpn have higher latency. In some cases you might get lucky and you find a vpn data center you get good performance to and they have a better path to the server ISP. This tends to work best for people in india and asia but maybe you get lucky.

Jan 19, 2020
You need to spend some time running commands like tracert and ping to try to determine where in the path the problem is.

I will first assume you use a ethernet connection.

In some ways what you hope to see is a problem in the first 2 hops. The first one is your router and issues here could be the pc or the router. The second hop is your connection to the ISP. Delays here mostly are related to over utilization. What would be bad is if the ISP over sold the network and your neighbors usage is causing this. You need to be very sure your usage does not spike to 100%. This is mostly download but can be upload if the rate is small.

Things past the first couple hops you can do very little about. In some cases it could be your ISP does not have good connection options to get to the ISP that runs the server. Pretty much the only fix is to get a different ISP that might have a better path to the server. Most people do not have much choice in ISP to their house.

Although unlikely a vpn service might improve this. In general the overhead and the extra devices the data must pass through tend to make vpn have higher latency. In some cases you might get lucky and you find a vpn data center you get good performance to and they have a better path to the server ISP. This tends to work best for people in india and asia but maybe you get lucky.

I just tried both commands and for every hop I got "Request timed out" and same with the ping command
and then this is what it says this after: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Your first step is to verify that nothing in your house is doing some kind of backup of software update.

That unfortunately is the peak load time for many ISP as lot of people are watching stuff like netfilx. If your ISP has a capacity issue you will see stuff like this.

You will need to to the testing during this time to try to find it. If the ISP has a capacity issue they will never admit it.

Solution