[SOLVED] I need to change my gpu please help!!

Aug 25, 2019
So i have been playing fortnite for some time and i am trying to make it in the competitive scene , But my computer is not that strong or modern so i have huge frame drops and pretty much really low fps to the point where the game is just unplayble , i have been told that i need to change my gpu but i dont have that much spare time to read every thing about them so please help me
Here are my specs :
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300 24 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2) 41 °C
Graphics
22EN33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 35 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA ) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24D5MT ATA Device
Audio
Συσκευή ήχου USB
My problem is that i have really low fps and frame drops and my bugdet is 250 - 300 euros , my monitor is 60hz and my power supply is an SL - 550 v2.2 i believe so

Solution
OP's mobo maxes out at 95W TDPs so some of the more obscure 95W FX 8xxx CPUs is the limit (ie FX8320E). I do agree with the notion though. It leaves enough budget for an RX570 at the very least. Also, the FX CPUs are pretty cheap on the used market. Those few extra cores probably won't increase your frame rates since they're no faster (even a tad slower) than the FX4300, but they may reduce the dips. That's the goal, just get rid of those dips. Depending on the cost of a drop-in CPU replacement, it may be a small cost for a small (but important) improvement.

It's just difficult to incur all the cost of new mobo, RAM, windows license(?) for a bottom-of-the-barrel Ryzen 1200 CPU and that wouldn't leave much/any room...
Aug 25, 2019
GPU = R9 2__?

You should be looking at a new CPU. THAT is likely your real limitation right now.

Country?

When you say "competitive" does that mean sponsored/ paid?
hi yeah i have been playing from a net cafe on pro scrims and i have been doing really well and various teams with their own sponsors want to add me on their team but they all need me to be active so this is why i need to upgrade my pc cause i cant be on net cafes like 5 hours plus . My problems are that i got 60 - 80 ping which unfortunately cant be fixxed since i am in greece and i got really low fps so i am trying to focus on that , can you pls explain me why i should change my cpu and not gpu ?

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
In my opinion 60 ping isn't even anything. I play at like 80 all the time and I'm fine. What is your budget, and what are you going to upgrade? Cpu and gpu? Because I can list some good parts.

Aug 25, 2019
In my opinion 60 ping isn't even anything. I play at like 80 all the time and I'm fine. What is your budget, and what are you going to upgrade? Cpu and gpu? Because I can list some good parts.
well i dont know , i never looked the tech part you know i just googled parts of the pc responsible for the fps and it showed me that the 2 main parts are cpu and gpu , i asked my cousin who knows a bit about this topic and he is the one who gave me the pc and he suggested me gpu so i guess gpu unless there is smth better i can do

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
well i dont know , i never looked the tech part you know i just googled parts of the pc responsible for the fps and it showed me that the 2 main parts are cpu and gpu , i asked my cousin who knows a bit about this topic and he is the one who gave me the pc and he suggested me gpu so i guess gpu unless there is smth better i can do
How old is the CPU? Because you can just overclock it to like 4.0 ghz and it would proform better, but you will need a better cooler as well. For a gpu I'd recommend a RX 570 ( don't get the RX 560) and for a cpu i would recommend a AMD ryzen 5 2600. Is your motherboard am4? Look up your board and it'll say if it is. Also where do you shop? I can show you what to get.

Aug 25, 2019
How old is the CPU? Because you can just overclock it to like 4.0 ghz and it would proform better, but you will need a better cooler as well. For a gpu I'd recommend a RX 570 ( don't get the RX 560) and for a cpu i would recommend a AMD ryzen 5 2600. Is your motherboard am4? Look up your board and it'll say if it is. Also where do you shop? I can show you what to get.
thanks for the help since i am in greece i shop from our "amazon" which is called skroutz
also here are more detailed info about my motherboard :
Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2)
Version Rev X.0x
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 780G
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 38 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 1101
Date 17/1/2013
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.380 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.220 V
+3.3V 1.992 V
+5V 3.387 V
+12V 7.968 V
-12V -12.000 V
-5V -7.488 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 4.637 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCIEX1_1
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E x16
Slot Type PCI-E x16
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCIE16X
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 2

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
thanks for the help since i am in greece i shop from our "amazon" which is called skroutz
also here are more detailed info about my motherboard :
Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2)
Version Rev X.0x
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 780G
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 38 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 1101
Date 17/1/2013
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.380 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.220 V
+3.3V 1.992 V
+5V 3.387 V
+12V 7.968 V
-12V -12.000 V
-5V -7.488 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 4.637 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCIEX1_1
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E x16
Slot Type PCI-E x16
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCIE16X
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 2
I noticed that is said "am3" so the AMD ryzen 5 2600 will not fit. Here's another option. https://www.skroutz.gr/s/14189412/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-570-4GB-Pulse-11266-34-20G.html (and this also)
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/8896451/AMD-FX-8350-Box-Wraith-Cooler.html

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I'd change the gpu first. You get the lots of proformace first, then more when you install your CPU. When you get a gpu, make sure to install ALL graphics drivers. It should come with a disk. If it dosent, look up the drivers and download them. Also make sure your Bois is updated as well. Your psu... I'll have to do some research. I'll be back. Okay this is edited btw, yes your psu should be fine. However I would recommend upgrading sometime in the future. Just make sure your psu has pcie cables. The RX 570 should have 4 pin pcie cables. DO NOT use CPU pwr cables! This will fry your gpu. Also make sure the psu is set to the highest watts. It should be a red slider on the back. Unplugg it a set it to the highest number.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
I'd change the gpu first. You get the lots of proformace first, then more when you install your CPU. When you get a gpu, make sure to install ALL graphics drivers. It should come with a disk. If it dosent, look up the drivers and download them. Also make sure your Bois is updated as well. Your psu... I'll have to do some research. I'll be back. Okay this is edited btw, yes your psu should be fine. However I would recommend upgrading sometime in the future. Just make sure your psu has pcie cables. The RX 570 should have 4 pin pcie cables. DO NOT use CPU pwr cables! This will fry your gpu. Also make sure the psu is set to the highest watts. It should be a red slider on the back. Unplugg it a set it to the highest number.
oke thanks for the help mate i appreciate it :D

Do this test. Change in game settings to low and resolution to 720p and note FPS. Then change back to 1080p medium and test again. If FPS doesn't change, you're CPU-limited. If it does change, you could be limited a bit by both.

Would be helpful to know the actual model number of your GPU so we know where you're currently at.

Aug 25, 2019
Do this test. Change in game settings to low and resolution to 720p and note FPS. Then change back to 1080p medium and test again. If FPS doesn't change, you're CPU-limited. If it does change, you could be limited a bit by both.

Would be helpful to know the actual model number of your GPU so we know where you're currently at.
hi i already have all the settings to low and i cant change the resolution so i guess the least i can do is to give you the detailed info about my gpu
Graphics
Monitor
Name 22EN33 on AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels
State Enabled, Primary, Unsafe
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer ATI
Model AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Device ID 1002-6810
Subvendor Sapphire/PCPartner (174B)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 450 MHz
Current Memory Clock 1400 MHz
Current Shader Clock 1400 MHz
Voltage 0.875 V
Technology 28 nm
GPU Clock 1070,0 MHz
Temperature 37 °C
Core Voltage 1.225 V
Driver version 26.20.13001.29010
BIOS Version 113-1E271000-O42
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory 2048 MB
Bandwidth 179,2 GB/s
Count of performance levels : 2
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock 300 MHz
Shader Clock 150 MHz
Level 2 - "Perf Level 1"
GPU Clock 1070 MHz
Shader Clock 1400 MHz
hope it helps , sorry for being a newbie on all these topics but i appreciate your help :D

Aug 25, 2019

when you say change the resolution to 720p you mean in-game or in the pc in general ?

Wait, before you proceed, you haven't told us what case you are using. This will determine what we can suggest. Some of us here use small form factor cases that no doubt will limit upgrade possibilities.

250-300 euros is a very tight budget for an upgrade, but getting into 60 fps on Fortnite is really easy with modern hardware. Here are a few things I notice:

1. Your PSU is subpar for modern hardware, consider replacing it as the highest priority.
  2. Your Motherboard + CPU + RAM combo seems to be your second weakest link. The GPU might apparently be an R9 270 or an R9 270X. This YouTuber plays above 60 fps constantly with an R9 270 with a Pentium G processor.
  3. The used market can also help you get some good deals. You can also sell your older parts second hand to increase your budget.
If you have an ordinary, mid-tower case (usually around 45 cm tall and 22 cm wide) I would go for this (it'll be nice if you can give us a website that we can use for Greek computer component prices):

Corsair CX 450 + Ryzen 3 1200 + Asrock B450M Mobo + 2x4 GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM: est ~ 300 Euros

Or if you want to be more adventurous:

Corsair CX 450 + Second Hand i7 2600k/2700k + Second Hand P67 Board + 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM: est ~250 Euros

You can sell your Old Mobo + CPU + RAM for 100 Euros.

Aug 25, 2019
Wait, before you proceed, you haven't told us what case you are using. This will determine what we can suggest. Some of us here use small form factor cases that no doubt will limit upgrade possibilities.

250-300 euros is a very tight budget for an upgrade, but getting into 60 fps on Fortnite is really easy with modern hardware. Here are a few things I notice:

1. Your PSU is subpar for modern hardware, consider replacing it as the highest priority.
  2. Your Motherboard + CPU + RAM combo seems to be your second weakest link. The GPU might apparently be an R9 270 or an R9 270X. This YouTuber plays above 60 fps constantly with an R9 270 with a Pentium G processor.
  3. The used market can also help you get some good deals. You can also sell your older parts second hand to increase your budget.
If you have an ordinary, mid-tower case (usually around 45 cm tall and 22 cm wide) I would go for this (it'll be nice if you can give us a website that we can use for Greek computer component prices):

Corsair CX 450 + Ryzen 3 1200 + Asrock B450M Mobo + 2x4 GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM: est ~ 300 Euros

Or if you want to be more adventurous:

Corsair CX 450 + Second Hand i7 2600k/2700k + Second Hand P67 Board + 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM: est ~250 Euros

You can sell your Old Mobo + CPU + RAM for 100 Euros.
oke hi thanks for the whole info , i am aiming for maybe 80 - 100 fps(stable) since currently i can either cap my fps on 60 which i tried and i cant play like that or have it uncapped which leads to huge fps drops , i got a medium tower could you pls suggest combos or parts like above but having on mind that i aim for 80+ fps ? i would love that since i am kinda confused , others say i need to change my cpu others say my psu and others my gpu first , you seem like experienced if you could help me out here that would be awesome ! :D
edit : also have in mind the video you linked me with is old and the requirments may have changed and the website is called skroutz : https://www.skroutz.gr/

your mainboard (amd 790 chipset) will not support FX 8350, even if it will support it, u wont get any visible performance uplift

btw old am3 cpus had underclocked northbridge frequency which degraded cpu performance, but its easily overclockable
am3+ had that bug fixed

It's kind of hard to squeeze 300 euros to upgrade both the CPU + Mobo + RAM combo and the GPU (Plus PSU as well). It might be worse, you pointed out that the requirements have changed (I don't play Fortnite, so I assume you know more than I do).

Even an RX 560, a card barely faster than yours costs 100 euros. A faster RX 570 will set you back 140 euros. There is no room for the PSU and the combo. Here's the combo I'm talking about, and it will cost 160 euros:

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11542607/Corsair-CX-Series-CX450.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11139198/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-Box.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/18161198/Asrock-B450M-HDV-R4-0.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9470608/G-Skill-Aegis-8GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16S-8GISB.html

You can:
  1. Go with the RX 570 and the combo: That would go over your budget.
  2. Go with the RX 560 and the combo: You probably won't get a lot of upgrade from the GPU side, as it won't be much faster. All you get is a CPU upgrade.
  3. Not get the combo but get the PSU, and then getting a more powerful GPU like the 1660 Ti: This will be barely an upgrade as your CPU is holding it back.
  4. Go with the combo and keep the GPU: Pretty much what I initially suggested.
However, as I said, you might have better luck with selling your old components. Strongly consider doing that.

Reactions: RyukKanji
Aug 25, 2019
It's kind of hard to squeeze 300 euros to upgrade both the CPU + Mobo + RAM combo and the GPU (Plus PSU as well). It might be worse, you pointed out that the requirements have changed (I don't play Fortnite, so I assume you know more than I do).

Even an RX 560, a card barely faster than yours costs 100 euros. A faster RX 570 will set you back 140 euros. There is no room for the PSU and the combo. Here's the combo I'm talking about, and it will cost 160 euros:

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11542607/Corsair-CX-Series-CX450.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11139198/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-Box.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/18161198/Asrock-B450M-HDV-R4-0.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9470608/G-Skill-Aegis-8GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16S-8GISB.html

You can:
  1. Go with the RX 570 and the combo: That would go over your budget.
  2. Go with the RX 560 and the combo: You probably won't get a lot of upgrade from the GPU side, as it won't be much faster. All you get is a CPU upgrade.
  3. Not get the combo but get the PSU, and then getting a more powerful GPU like the 1660 Ti: This will be barely an upgrade as your CPU is holding it back.
  4. Go with the combo and keep the GPU: Pretty much what I initially suggested.
However, as I said, you might have better luck with selling your old components. Strongly consider doing that.
i really dont know , kinda hard to decide but my budget is strict at 300 euros and i could use your opinion on how i could acquire more and steady fps , i dont wanna do a whole upgrade , for example i dont mind having my old cpu as long as i get like 80-100 stable fps you know so um if it takes like to spend all 300 euros on a gpu and it makes that happen am fine , if i need a 50 euro psu for example and i can buy a 250 euro gpu i dont mind it as well , so um if it is possible and you have something in mind i would highly appreciate your help

I am not sure where to begin, but I believe only option 1 guarantee 80-100 FPS. I am doubtful about the others. You can take a look at the used market, or sell your parts.

If you really want to have that 80-100 fps without selling your older components, my advice would be: Get adventurous. Get second-hand i7-2600K, P67 board, keep your RAM and RX 480 and a new CX 450. Here (I'm from Indonesia) this upgrade will cost me around 250 euros. I can guarantee 80 fps.

Otherwise, option 4. It's hard, but reality is often hard.

Reactions: RyukKanji
Aug 25, 2019
I am not sure where to begin, but I believe only option 1 guarantee 80-100 FPS. I am doubtful about the others. You can take a look at the used market, or sell your parts.

If you really want to have that 80-100 fps without selling your older components, my advice would be: Get adventurous. Get second-hand i7-2600K, P67 board, keep your RAM and RX 480 and a new CX 450. Here (I'm from Indonesia) this upgrade will cost me around 250 euros. I can guarantee 80 fps.

Otherwise, option 4. It's hard, but reality is often hard.
oke i dont want to use second hand parts so can you sent me the links for every part of option 1 on skroutz and i will see them and write back if i have any further questions about it ( also big thanks for the help man )

From googling the device ID, it would appear the OP has an R9-270X 2GB.

I know money is tight, but if you're serious about competitive gaming, you need appropriate hardware, and none of your current system is very good for your aspirations. Even if you do the GPU as you want, your CPU is also weak so you're still going to have problems. And if you're gaming competitively at 80-100FPS then you really should have a 144Hz FreeSync monitor. I know you have to start somewhere, but 300 euros isn't going to get you to the finish line. The truth hurts, sorry.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
From googling the device ID, it would appear the OP has an R9-270X 2GB.

I know money is tight, but if you're serious about competitive gaming, you need appropriate hardware, and none of your current system is very good for your aspirations. Even if you do the GPU as you want, your CPU is also weak so you're still going to have problems. And if you're gaming competitively at 80-100FPS then you really should have a 144Hz FreeSync monitor. I know you have to start somewhere, but 300 euros isn't going to get you to the finish line. The truth hurts, sorry.
i dont really care for the monitor right now is there a way for me to hit 80-100 stable fps with these money and if so what do i have to change on my system ?( i know that with a 60hz monitor i will be able to see 60 fps but if i hit 80-100 fps stable the game will be way smoother this is what i wanna accomplish