[SOLVED] I recently bought the CX Series™ CX750M — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU and am wondering if it is a good buy

Nov 10, 2021
I have decided to upgrade my gpu to a 2070 super from a 2060. I previously had the evga 600WATT BQ PSU and saw that it was a very bad gpu and that it had a lot of bad components. Also it didn’t even have enough power for a 2070 super to safely run on it. I am wondering if the CX Series™ CX750M — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU is a good buy to get. I have already bought it however it is still in shipping. My system specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock B500m pro4
Ripjaws 16gb 3600mhz
500gb Western Digital NVME ssd
2tb Baracuda HDD
Soon to be 2070super

Solution
Both the CXM and BQ are double forward units with DC-DC for the minor rails. The CXM has better performance overall and has otp which the Bq lacks, so it is an upgrade, but a fairly small upgrade.

While it will probably run a 2070 super, I suspect you will be hearing the coils sing under load.

If you can I would return it and get a better power supply to replace it.
Both the CXM and BQ are double forward units with DC-DC for the minor rails. The CXM has better performance overall and has otp which the Bq lacks, so it is an upgrade, but a fairly small upgrade.

While it will probably run a 2070 super, I suspect you will be hearing the coils sing under load.

Solution
Nov 10, 2021

What do you think would be a good PSU. Preferable in the cheeper range. But still works good.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021
Depends.

WHat is your budget? What website would you be buying a PSU from?

The CX750M would work and probably be reliable, but I would try to return it and get something better.
I’ve just cancelled my Corsair PSU and am waiting 24hrs or less for the money to go back into my account so I have time to think. I bought it from Amazon. My budget is as low as you can get. As long as it has enough power for my system and will last me a long time.

I’ve just cancelled my Corsair PSU and am waiting 24hrs or less for the money to go back into my account so I have time to think. I bought it from Amazon. My budget is as low as you can get. As long as it has enough power for my system and will last me a long time.

Amazon US?

You're in the US?

If you're in the US, you can get a CX650 for literally nothing: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-s...corsair-_-17-139-200-_-Product&quicklink=true

$54.99 before rebate. $34.99 after rebate. You don't "need" a 750W PSU.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I am looking at 650W PSUs as well... I think that RM650X is a great deal. An Audi at a VW price.

I am wondering though, changing CX every 5 years versus changing RMx every 10 years - which choice has better chance of not having PSU fail event?

Nov 10, 2021
RM650X is a lot better. I would go for it if you can afford it.

How much more is the RM650x over the CX650?
The RM650X is only 80 vs the CX650 is 56 however they both have a 20$ mail in rebate so I can get the RM650X for 60 technically. Also just to clarify a 650watt PSU is enough for a 2070 super?

Last edited: