Nemanja97

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
Hi there. So I recently bought a used ASUS rog strix 1080 ti from a buy/sell website I use regularly. The description looked solid, I spoke with the person on phone (I didnt ask for benchmark photos or videos or any info at all Which I realized was a big mistake afterwards) I was sorta in a rush to buy a 1080 right... So The card came in, I plugged it in my PC (which I have a seasonic 520W power supply).
The card looks fine, no scratches nothing, looking mint in its original package. What caught my eye was the PCIe led's or in this case led, because only 1 was glowing (white) the other one was just not glowing.
I got drivers on.... launching warzone 2.0 The card makes a very quiet but noticeable sorta "flickering noise" if u will. And the game just crashes. So I try another game (R6 Siege). Same thing happened. So I thought lets try a less demanding game maybe my psu cant push enough power? I launch LoL it worked fine I guess. But I was told my power supply is"weak" for a strix 1080ti.
Then I buy a new corsair RM650x. Plug it in, put the card in and the exact same thing happened.
So I would like to know if there's a way I can prove the card is broken/faulty if the above results isn't enough. Also 3D Mark crashes the card and makes the display go crazy.

Solution
look to return it. all you can do.

there is 100% probability that it is a used mining card. there are millions of them flooding the world used markets hoping someone is willing to take the massive chance on such a thing.

do yourself a favor and avoid used gpu's at all costs

Endre

Reputable
Hi there. So I recently bought a used ASUS rog strix 1080 ti from a buy/sell website I use regularly. The description looked solid, I spoke with the person on phone (I didnt ask for benchmark photos or videos or any info at all Which I realized was a big mistake afterwards) I was sorta in a rush to buy a 1080 right... So The card came in, I plugged it in my PC (which I have a seasonic 520W power supply).
The card looks fine, no scratches nothing, looking mint in its original package. What caught my eye was the PCIe led's or in this case led, because only 1 was glowing (white) the other one was just not glowing.
I got drivers on.... launching warzone 2.0 The card makes a very quiet but noticeable sorta "flickering noise" if u will. And the game just crashes. So I try another game (R6 Siege). Same thing happened. So I thought lets try a less demanding game maybe my psu cant push enough power? I launch LoL it worked fine I guess. But I was told my power supply is"weak" for a strix 1080ti.
Then I buy a new corsair RM650x. Plug it in, put the card in and the exact same thing happened.
So I would like to know if there's a way I can prove the card is broken/faulty if the above results isn't enough. Also 3D Mark crashes the card and makes the display go crazy.

Unfortunately, there's always a risk when buying used products.
C'est la vie...

PS: Perhaps, you can send the card back to the seller.

Reactions: Nemanja97

Nemanja97

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
Well I called the guy, explained whats happening. He claims it works when he used it, guaranteed me it has no problems what so ever. I'm giving it to a guy who works with cards to try and fix it or whatever.
Thank you all for the replies. Happy holidays.
And wish me luck.

Reactions: Tac 25 and Endre

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
unless you were actually there to see when the seller used it to see the card working properly.. then we could always assume that seller could be lying / making excuses.

goodluck, I hope you could get it fixed. These mined cards are usually dead as a doornail when they croak.