Question I want to move my HDD to a friend's pc to download and after move it back to mine.

Jun 29, 2019
My internet speed is very slow (~500kbps)
And his is about 20MBps.

If i were to take my nearly empty HDD with only the Oculus app and Steam and either switch it with his HDD currently in his pc or place it inside with his HDD would this work and cause no issues or would we have some issues with it?
(my HDD does NOT have a windows installation installed neither does his)
(Both our windows installations are on our SSD and are both Windows 10)

FYI i need to download about 30-40 games from my steam library.

saurabhprob

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
Yes, it is easily possible, but you have to connect your HDD like his HDD must be primary slot one. By default pc always boot with the HDD which connects with slot one on the motherboard.

After connection starts your pc and right click on My computer>Manage>Disk Management. Here you can find all the media storage device connected with this computer.

popatim

Titan
@saurabhprob - this is somewhat incorrect. Some motherboards have a port 0 and on some motherbds port1 on the board is not 1 in the actual system (frustrating) and still (hopefully very few) boards have dynamic slot assignments so what was port 1 changed to port 6 when you added another drive (Super frustrating! Curse you Biostar!)

Reactions: saurabhprob

saurabhprob

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
@saurabhprob - this is somewhat incorrect. Some motherboards have a port 0 and on some motherbds port1 on the board is not 1 in the actual system (frustrating) and still (hopefully very few) boards have dynamic slot assignments so what was port 1 changed to port 6 when you added another drive (Super frustrating! Curse you Biostar!)
May be you are right.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it is easily possible, but you have to connect your HDD like his HDD must be primary slot one. By default pc always boot with the HDD which connects with slot one on the motherboard.

After connection starts your pc and right click on My computer>Manage>Disk Management. Here you can find all the media storage device connected with this computer.
Are you referring to trying to take a drive+OS from System A, put it in System B, and boot from it?
That does not appear to be what the OP is talking about.