[SOLVED] I would like to upgrade my prebuilt PC, will it be possible?

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
This is my PC: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03832938

I would like to add a GPU, but this is a small form factor PC, so only small form factor GPUs would fit in it, and finding those is pretty hard in India. So, I was thinking of buying a separate normal sized case and putting all of my old components in it, along with the new GPU, but I'm not sure if there will be issues.

So, could you guys please tell me what sort of stuff I need to keep in mind to see if this is possible? I can send pictures, and any other details if you guys want, I'm just not sure what, so please ask. BTW the GPU that I'm thinking of buying is the 1050ti/1650, that sort of range. There's a possibility that my 320W PSU might not be enough, too, so maybe I gotta upgrade that as well.

V4SiBbG.png

Solution
All I can say is, this is a low profile GPU:

mZ1gCtT.png

And it looks way bigger than the bracket that I have in my small form factor PC:

cTx0XoJ.png
So that is a full size bracket on a low profile card--very common as most come with both brackets. You simply replace the full size bracket with the smaller one. It will fit in your system so long as there is enough room for a card that takes up more than one slot like in your example.

Lutfij

Titan
Don't bother doing anything in terms of upgrades for that prebuilt. The power to the board is proprietary and the PSU used to power the prebuilt is low in wattage, even a replacement unit of the same size won't net you a higher wattage.

By the time you factor in the resources spent towards your "pseudo" upgrade, you're already half way into buying an entry level gaming system.

I'd advise on saving money and then buy a new system with reliable parts and a case that allows you to add parts later down the road.

So there are low profile versions of the 1050ti, but as you have discovered, they are more rare and expensive. The 1030 is an option, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem with prebuilts is that they are generally proprietary in their build, so a lot of things are not industry standard.

But the good thing is that HP used the same motherboard between the SFF and tower versions of the EliteDesk 800 G1 so all you really need is the tower case with power supply and can swap over your parts. However, the downside is that it seems really hard to find just a case for this, so you would probably be better off just buying the tower version and selling your SFF version, essentially paying the difference. You can swap over components like memory, cpu, storage, etc, and literally be back to booting in minutes. Then you have a slightly better upgrade path.

But for all this trouble, you might as well pay the premium for the more expensive 1050ti low profile and just put it in your current system.

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
Thanks guys for the replies, but my PC's bracket or whatever you call it is even tinier than the low-profile GPUs that I can find, so I'm just gonna save up and buy a new PC.

logainofhades

Titan
All I can say is, this is a low profile GPU:

mZ1gCtT.png

And it looks way bigger than the bracket that I have in my small form factor PC:

cTx0XoJ.png
So that is a full size bracket on a low profile card--very common as most come with both brackets. You simply replace the full size bracket with the smaller one. It will fit in your system so long as there is enough room for a card that takes up more than one slot like in your example.

Solution

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
HOLY CRAP THANK YOU!!! This is the first time I'm learning about this. Why haven't I heard of this before!!!? Anyway I only play csgo and other light games so I think I'm going to buy a budget low profile GPU to fit into this PC. Once again, thank you.

HOLY CRAP THANK YOU!!! This is the first time I'm learning about this. Why haven't I heard of this before!!!? Anyway I only play csgo and other light games so I think I'm going to buy a budget low profile GPU to fit into this PC. Once again, thank you.
You're welcome! Gotta read more as any new card with both brackets will explain it in their manual which is downloadable online. ;) (I always read the manual of stuff I plan to buy before I buy it--makes setting it up and using it easy-peasy. :D)

Now keep in mind that the low profile is only part of the solution--you may also have restrictions on how 'wide' the card is--ie if it takes up more than one slot. I know in my Dell SFF systems, the power supply is right next to the slot so a card that uses 2x slots for width won't fit. And that makes me limited to not only low-profile cards, but also single slot cards.