Question i5-13600kf does not clock down | stuck idle frequency ?

Jun 7, 2023
Hello, I need help with my CPU:

i5 13600kf on an
Asus Z790 Strix Gaming H

For some reason it does not properly downclock and it is stuck at 5.1 ghz for the p cores and 3.9 ghz for the e cores almost all of the time. Very rarely some of the cores would shortly clock down to 800 mhz but go up again immediately.
Some of the tips I tried:
  1. Using default bios settings
  2. Manually enabling c states
  3. Making sure I was using the balanced power profile and resetting it
  4. Disabling background software like rgb controllers
  5. Disabling Asus multi core enhancement
What is also interesting is that using the power saver profile the p cores go down to 2.5 ghz max no matter what and would dynamically change to something like 1.4 ghz but mostly stay at 2.5 ghz on idle. The e cores are all over the place but also mostly at least at 2.1 ghz.

Any help would be appreciated. The idle power draw is about 30 W in this state and about 9 W in the power saver profile. I use HWMonitor as the software

Last edited:
HWMonitor
This program does not accurately track the speed of a CPU when it is idle or lightly loaded. Intel CPUs are extremely dynamic. Monitoring software that only reports what the CPU is doing once per second is not a good indication of what the CPU is really doing. Try using ThrottleStop. It uses the Intel recommended monitoring method and can accurately track what each thread of each core is really doing.

ThrottleStop 9.6

Intel designs their CPUs so the slightest load will cause them to instantly jump up to the maximum speed. If there is a task to perform, it is not efficient to lock the CPU to 800 MHz. They prefer to burst the CPU up to max speed, get tasks done as fast as possible and then immediately re-enter the low power C7 state.

What does ThrottleStop report for idle C0%? This is a very accurate measure of how idle your CPU really is. One poorly written program can create enough load to keep a 13600K constantly bursting up to full speed. The C0% for my computer shows that most cores and threads are idle. Average C0% with Google Chrome minimized is only 0.1%.

View: https://imgur.com/P5mEJZ2

If you are nowhere close to that then have a look in the Task Manager to see what background apps are causing the problem.

When your computer is idle at the desktop, are your cores spending 99% of their time in the low power core C7 state? This is another good sign of whether your computer is as idle as you think it is.

View: https://imgur.com/zc4g9Kc