triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hi! I'm gonna purchase i5-750 Processor this weekend, and I decided to install Windows XP Professional Edition (SP3) 32-bit on it.

Then I read this from Intel's website about i5-750 Processor:
64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Consult with your system vendor for more information.

:(

This is the motherboard I will buy along, Asus P7P55D-E PRO.
Please don't suggest me to take Windows Vista, 7, and 64-bit, I choose XP over them due to needed of my job usage.
Will there be any problems to install 32-bit OS on 64-bit processor?

Thanks in advance!

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

U r getting confused between 'architecture' & '32/64 bit OS'
2day, any modern processor will run a 32 bit OS. Also almost all Motherboard BIOSes are equipped to run 32 bit applications. Intel has had that disclaimer for years, pity it won't update that.
so don't worry, ur i5-750 will run any 32 or 64 bit OS.

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
your processor architecture and operating system bitwidth are different concepts 64bit processors can work with 32 bit OS's but it wont be as efficient because you've got all that bus space left not being used.

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
well im just visualizing stufff, your bus is a flow path, and each bus has a different amount of data flowing through it over time, your quickpath interconnect connects the ram to the processor, at least i think so and so is your NB. so there are tons of buses in your computer its just that 64bit processors can work with 64-bit bus channels, hence more data per unit time.