[SOLVED] I5-9300H overheating (Undervolting does not help)

Sep 4, 2020
Greetings!

When I was gaming yesterday (GTA 5 + Spotify apps were open), I wanted to adjust the screen angle, and at that moment I felt the laptop was quite warm. Then I opened Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and saw that temperature was 97 degrees (Screenshot 1). I reduced the input voltage value to maximum possible of -0.085 for my laptop, but it did not help. In a while (after I have lowered Core Voltage Offset) a peak of 94 degrees was reached again (Screenshot 2). Furthermore, Thermal throttling just went on (Screenshot 3).

228c055df87c86e8d42fcbd7b55e574e28afd99c.jpg

I don't know why the temperature was so high at first place, but undervolting did not work in one other way this time. In the summer when it was +30 outside, lowering the Core Voltage Offset helped a lot. At that time it made a difference of 10-15 degrees.
Any clues how to reduce overheating/thermal throttling ?

Ideapad L340 G
i5-9300H
8gb ram
GTX 1650

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Greetings!

When I was gaming yesterday (GTA 5 + Spotify apps were open), I wanted to adjust the screen angle, and at that moment I felt the laptop was quite warm. Then I opened Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and saw that temperature was 97 degrees (Screenshot 1). I reduced the input voltage value to maximum possible of -0.085 for my laptop, but it did not help. In a while (after I have lowered Core Voltage Offset) a peak of 94 degrees was reached again (Screenshot 2). Furthermore, Thermal throttling just went on (Screenshot 3).

228c055df87c86e8d42fcbd7b55e574e28afd99c.jpg

I don't know why the temperature was so high at first place, but undervolting did not work in one other way this time. In the summer when it was +30 outside, lowering the Core Voltage Offset helped a lot. At that time it made a difference of 10-15 degrees.
Any clues how to reduce overheating/thermal throttling ?

Ideapad L340 G
i5-9300H
8gb ram
GTX 1650

Hi @Dogrub

1st off, Welcome to the forums.

• How old is the laptop?
  • How much pressure do you feel coming out of the exhaust ports?
  • Are these temps new or...?
  • Have you tried using a laptop cooler?
  • Have you removed the back of the laptop and looked for dust buildup?
  • Have you reapplied the thermal paste on the GPU & CPU? There is very limited space inside a laptop as you well know and so optimum airflow at all times is needless to say, critical.
I have an older i5 laptop and it's an oven when on. Bought this cooler and all performance and throttling issues went away.

Sep 4, 2020
Salut @Mrgr74!
  1. How old is the laptop? I bought it in August last year
  2. How much pressure do you feel coming out of the exhaust ports? As usual. (I haven't noticed anything special)
  3. Are these temps new or...? Last summer I have experienced those kind of temperature peaks
  4. Have you tried using a laptop cooler? In the summer, when the temperature outside was quite high, I bought a laptop cooler to solve this problem, but the effect was barely noticeable (-3/5°C ). Fortunately, at that time I discovered undervolting what helped me to reduce the average temperature (at high loads/while gaming) to 75°C with 80°C being the peak maximum.
  5. Have you removed the back of the laptop and looked for dust buildup? Maybe half a year ago.
  6. Have you reapplied the thermal paste on the GPU & CPU? There is very limited space inside a laptop as you well know and so optimum airflow at all times is needless to say, critical. No
Thank you in advance.

The one I bought

This is the cooling pad I have purchased