Hi All,

I just built a new PC, with the following setup:

ASUS TUF B460-PLUS mobo
i7 10700k
be quiet Dark Rock 4
2*8GB HyperX Fury 3200mhz CL16
Gigabyte Vision RTX 3070 OC 8GB
Samsung evo 970 evo plus

All packed in a be quiet pure base 500 - 2 140mm fans at the front, 1 at the top (over the CPU) and 1 120mm in the back. The two front blowing in, top and back blowing out.

My problem is with while playing Cyberpunk 2077 (maxed) - the CPU temp increases to over 80 degrees Celsius (once reached a 100 - since then I did a BIOS update and have only hit somewhere close to 90).

Is this normal? Should it go this high (I understand its working it's butt off, but still feels scary).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
No, sorry. That would actually be a bit worse than the DR 4.
Top-down, or downdraft, coolers like that work best in chassis with side intakes over them, alongside top and rear exhausts filled. With a solid, side glass panel, there's exhaust, but now the intake is coming from the gpu alone.

IMO, your best options are:
A)One of the big daddy air coolers, like the Deepcool Assassin 3. That should be able to deal with both the cpu and gpu.

B)Front mounted 280mm hybrid cooler. Be quiet has those Pure Loop hybrid coolers now, if you want to keep a certain theme.
Fans positioned to pull air - not push - through the radiator and into the chassis. Add another fan up top for more effective exhaust.
80C is high, but well within safe temps.
While dark rock 4 isn't the be all and end all of coolers, it's pretty darn close, and I think those temps are still quite high for that load.
I would reseed (take off and put back on) the cooler, and if you want, replace the thermal paste.

Reactions: bibu46

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well...
1)You've got an airflow choke point thanks to the Pure Base 500's front panel.

2)Dark Rock 4 isn't really adequate here. TDP is a tricky debate, but there's not much else to go on...
Dark Rock 4 is supposedly good for up to 200w of heat. 10700K is a potential 230w cpu. Plus, you have a 3070 below it, and some of it's heat does pass through the DR 4.

I'd say, get a beefier cooler, or start tinkering with cpu Vcore offsets - or both.

Mar 2, 2021
Well...
1)You've got an airflow choke point thanks to the Pure Base 500's front panel.

2)Dark Rock 4 isn't really adequate here. TDP is a tricky debate, but there's not much else to go on...
Dark Rock 4 is supposedly good for up to 200w of heat. 10700K is a potential 230w cpu. Plus, you have a 3070 below it, and some of it's heat does pass through the DR 4.

I'd say, get a beefier cooler, or start tinkering with cpu Vcore offsets - or both.

I do have a Dark Rock TF in my previous setup - I know it might sound dumb, but should that be enough for the CPU? That one is running an FX 8350 - so I believe switching the two coolers would not make it worse for the FX?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, sorry. That would actually be a bit worse than the DR 4.
Top-down, or downdraft, coolers like that work best in chassis with side intakes over them, alongside top and rear exhausts filled. With a solid, side glass panel, there's exhaust, but now the intake is coming from the gpu alone.

IMO, your best options are:
A)One of the big daddy air coolers, like the Deepcool Assassin 3. That should be able to deal with both the cpu and gpu.

B)Front mounted 280mm hybrid cooler. Be quiet has those Pure Loop hybrid coolers now, if you want to keep a certain theme.
Fans positioned to pull air - not push - through the radiator and into the chassis. Add another fan up top for more effective exhaust.

Solution