Question i7 14700K or Ryzen 7 7800X3D

shawnsum

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Or just wait a couple months and see what comes out?

Current system is going on 6 years old and it's time upgrade!!

Leaning towards the 7800X3D considering all the stability issues going on with Intel, normally I would just throw a Intel setup together and not even consider AMD but it seems a lot has changed since I last looked at putting a build together! The X3D tech is interesting and 20-30 extra FPS seems nice if all you do is game and that's all I do with my home desktop so it makes sense to consider it!

That being said I know some games don't take advantage of the tech and man it would feel bad if something like Black Myth: Wukong came along and didn't benefit from the tech!!

Hoping to get some input and suggestions from you guys!!

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
If is hard to argue against the 7800x3d in your use case.

The only argument to be made at present is whether you wait a little while longer to see what the 9000 AMD processors cost and and what the performance is. They are not far off now and it might be prudent to hold on a little bit if you can. Once released there may be some small discounts on the 7800x3d as well so you wouldn't be losing anything

Reactions: shawnsum

shawnsum

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
If is hard to argue against the 7800x3d in your use case.

The only argument to be made at present is whether you wait a little while longer to see what the 9000 AMD processors cost and and what the performance is. They are not far off now and it might be prudent to hold on a little bit if you can. Once released there may be some small discounts on the 7800x3d as well so you wouldn't be losing anything
Makes sense to wait another two weeks or so at this point with the release so soon and that's what I've decided to do.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Makes sense to wait another two weeks or so at this point with the release so soon and that's what I've decided to do.
I think it's a good idea to see what options you have available. I think there is going to be a staggered release with the x3d parts released a little later but it will still give you an idea of pricing for the new generation and more options to pick from.

Jul 26, 2024
Or just wait a couple months and see what comes out?

Current system is going on 6 years old and it's time upgrade!!

Leaning towards the 7800X3D considering all the stability issues going on with Intel, normally I would just throw a Intel setup together and not even consider AMD but it seems a lot has changed since I last looked at putting a build together! The X3D tech is interesting and 20-30 extra FPS seems nice if all you do is game and that's all I do with my home desktop so it makes sense to consider it!

That being said I know some games don't take advantage of the tech and man it would feel bad if something like Black Myth: Wukong came along and didn't benefit from the tech!!

Hoping to get some input and suggestions from you guys!!
Go with the AMD!! Intel is having a lot of issues right now, and I would not recommend going with them. (Speaking from experience)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I might wait longer than that to see what happens since they recalled/delayed the launch.

If I was building right now I would get the 7800X3D and that is coming from a Intel fan.

Last edited:
What are your current parts?
Do you plan to reuse any of it?

What is your main use for this pc?
Is it exclusively gaming, or, do you run other apps?

I would discount the intel 13/14 gen issues,
They come from over aggressive default motherboard overclock settings that exceeded Intel specs.
Motherboard vendors are now busily updating bioses to fix the problem.
In a month or so, new motherboards will have the updates installed.
In the mean time, update the bios yourself before running anything stressful.

Now, that said, new stuff is coming and I would want to see what is offered.

What do you hope to pay for your next processor?
Are you looking for top of the line, or for a good middle level value?
As a rule, new processors have a 15% price/performance boost, and the top dogs will have a premium prices and heavy dealer markups.

Current AMD and Intel parts had issues at launch. They are still being addressed.
If you go next gen, be prepared to handle issues.

If current gen is a substantial boost in cpu power, I think I would stick to current and avoid new product issues.
If you want the ultimate in processor capability, plan on a new gen processor in about a year.

Following these forums, my sense is that Ryzen builds have more issues than Intel.
Mostly in the ram compatibility area.
Ryzen depends on fast ram for performance and is very picky about compatibility.

shawnsum

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
What are your current parts?
Do you plan to reuse any of it?

What is your main use for this pc?
Is it exclusively gaming, or, do you run other apps?

What do you hope to pay for your next processor?
Are you looking for top of the line, or for a good middle level value?

Sorry for the late response, I kind of stopped researching with the news of both companies having their own issues and with talks of a new X3D chip due for release!

Current system..

Intel i7 8700K

Asus Prime Z390-P

Corsair 16BG DDR4 3000

RTX 2070

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVM Express SSD

Quite old these days but it's holding up alright.

I use my PC to game on and nothing else and I do not plan to use any of my old components. Right now it seems like waiting until the new X3D chips are released would be the safe route but I am getting a itchy trigger finger with all the new releases we have coming very soon!