Question I7 2600 Underperfoming with GTX 1660 Super

Jan 8, 2021
Hello. I have an old build that im upgrading by time. The problem is that im having a very strange low perfomance even with old games. My Build is on the pic under. My Psu is a Corsair TUF MasterWatt 450w 80 plus bronze

Example:
lzM2tFgLTeGikXQsNoGyRA.png

/\ 137 fps
Z-fV65xURNuso6rgzIlO1A.png

/\ 62 fps with sudden drops to 50's fps

What i tried to avoid this:
-Everything on maximum perfomance mode on Windows and bios(CPU and GPU)
-Unpark cpu programs
-Karpesky Antivirus Analysis
-Reducing game graphics

The problem is a fps drop below 60 even in old games. When i`m looking some parts of the map my fps rises and in other the fps suddenly drops to below 60. If was to 80 i would not be worried. Obviously i know that this is happening because of the cpu processing things more easy objects and etc... But the problem is that is happening on old games like BF4 and even the Insurgency, a game that uses the source engine(not the sandstorm). On insurgency the game never uses more and 30% of the cpu.

I found a site that has analyzed Apex legends saying that the game i gpu not cpu bound and with a dual core and a Rtx 2080 it hits the minimum of 63 fps. https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/apex-legends-pc-performance-analysis/

My two guests are the single channel memory or a cpu bottleneck. But both would be affecting a game like Insurgency who needs very low memory and cpu? Or would it be affecting BF4 too? In both i get sudden drops to below 60 fps. I searched on internet and there are topics saying that the i7 2600 should run BF4 flawlessly. I play on 1600x900 and that's not even 1080p.
A thing that happens in some of these games is a very strange CPU use. On apex the difference between 130 fps and 59 is only 2%.

So for a summary i know that the cpu will bound my 1660 super. But was this supposed to be limiting this hard on even a game that uses a 2004 engine or BF4 that was launched only a year after my cpu launch?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair never made a TUF PSU. CoolerMaster on the other hand have a MasterWatt series of PSU's. On that note, you're advised to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Might I ask where you sourced the games from? Is it just the titles you've mentioned above? What GPU did you have prior to the GTX1660? You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall them in an elevated command(manually), i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jan 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair never made a TUF PSU. CoolerMaster on the other hand have a MasterWatt series of PSU's. On that note, you're advised to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Might I ask where you sourced the games from? Is it just the titles you've mentioned above? What GPU did you have prior to the GTX1660? You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall them in an elevated command(manually), i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Thanks. Sorry about the PSU. I wrote this late at night. Indeed is a CoolerMaster. I had a Corsair 430w before. That's why i made this mistake.
About the Specs, i posted a photo of speccy but it disappeared for some reason. Sorry for that too.

image.jpg

The games are from Steam and Origin. This is happening mostly on FPS games with big maps. I chose to talk about Insurgency because it's not a heavy game and my cpu should be running easy. In other games the perfomance is normal. At least i think it is. On Rainbow Six Siege on ultra i get a 100 fps of minimum on Ultra; CS GO i have 100's fps but i think that is a single channel bottleneck; Metal Gear V i have never a fps below 60 on ultra; Just Cause 3 there is stutter and some drops with explosions with some graphical tweaks. On ultra i get 40 fps on some cities; FIFA 20 i have 100+ fps on ultra; Assetto Corsa runs on ultra with graphical mods but some cars mods with a 24 grid gives the game a fps drop to 40 fps. This not even changes with the lowest resolution possible.; Sniper Elite 4 gets 100 fps on ultra...
To summary: There are some games that this is happening. Not all. Mostly are the big map games.

I used DDU about 10 times. Not worked.
Prior to the 1660 i had a old GTX 550Ti.

Last edited:

theworstpersonever

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Thanks. Sorry about the PSU. I wrote this late at night. Indeed is a CoolerMaster. I had a Corsair 430w before. That's why i made this mistake.
About the Specs, i posted a photo of speccy but it disappeared for some reason. Sorry for that too.

image.jpg

The games are from Steam and Origin. This is happening mostly on FPS games with big maps. I chose to talk about Insurgency because it's not a heavy game and my cpu should be running easy. In other games the perfomance is normal. At least i think it is. On Rainbow Six Siege on ultra i get a 100 fps of minimum on Ultra; CS GO i have 100's fps but i think that is a single channel bottleneck; Metal Gear V i have never a fps below 60 on ultra; Just Cause 3 there is stutter and some drops with explosions with some graphical tweaks. On ultra i get 40 fps on some cities; FIFA 20 i have 100+ fps on ultra; Assetto Corsa runs on ultra with graphical mods but some cars mods with a 24 grid gives the game a fps drop to 40 fps. This not even changes with the lowest resolution possible.; Sniper Elite 4 gets 100 fps on ultra...
To summary: There are some games that this is happening. Not all. Mostly are the big map games.

I used DDU about 10 times. Not worked.
Prior to the 1660 i had a old GTX 550Ti.

I know I'm little late, but I found the problem you have. Your CPU is a bottleneck so you might need to upgrade it.

I did this with CPU bottleneck calculator and It's the result I have with your specs: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-2600/GeForce_GTX_1660_SUPER/001155lu/8/100

Before you upgrade your CPU, make sure it's compatible with your current motherboard or else you also need change to it to allow newer gen 10th CPUs.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021
I know I'm little late, but I found the problem you have. Your CPU is a bottleneck so you might need to upgrade it.

I did this with CPU bottleneck calculator and It's the result I have with your specs: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-2600/GeForce_GTX_1660_SUPER/001155lu/8/100

Before you upgrade your CPU, make sure it's compatible with your current motherboard or else you also need change to it to allow newer gen 10th CPUs.
Not late at all. I made this post on some forums to have more opinions. Other people said about the CPU too. Indeed is truly a Bottleneck in CPU intensive games. Nowadays every online shooter needs a new gen cpu. The other point of advice was on ram. I was running on single channel 8Gb, which is awful. Now i have 12gb with 8 + 4 on flex mode. This helped my fps. My Motherboard is very limited because of the 1155 socket. This socket is unusual. The best cpu i can get with this mb is a third gen i7. So it's not worth it to upgrade. I will wait some time and upgrade to a ryzen in the future. Thanks for you time.