Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Hey guys, so, I have an opportunity right now to get a rig with an i7 3960x, Asus p9x79 pro motherboard, 32gb G Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz, dual MSI 7970 in Crossfire (which I can replace easy if I ever need to), Corsair 850w Gold and Thermaltake 760 AIO. I will then add a 1tb SSD that I already have. All this for 200 bucks.

Is it worth the investment? I had a Ryzen 1400 and Rx 480 last month, would this be about the same as that? I don’t really care about it being a dead end in terms of upgradeability, I use the computers for Netflix, programming, some casual gaming sometimes.

thanks guys

Solution
Totally untrue.
Efficiency or whether it's 'worth it' is a totally different argument. mGPU (whether it's AMD or NVIDIA) is supported by many, many, many games.
The 7970s are anyways too old to beat a single RX480 and which new game works with mGPU without issues and has good scaling? If there was recent mGPU games people would use mGPU which is dead nowdays for a reason. Even back in the time I had dual 280X with tons of issues due to mGPU. mGPU is dead and is only used for benchmarks. That is why GPU reviews stopped including mGPU testing in their GPUs reviews.

Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Definitely worth it. Make sure someone isn't trying to dump 'damaged' good on you, though.
Also, make sure it can 'do what you want'. It may be a good deal but if you want to play RDR2 at ultra settings you'll need to look elsewhere.
I can verify that everything is working as it should. And no, if I game at all it’ll be light games. Some league, apex, the Sims (my wife enjoys it a lot)
I mostly just want to know if it’ll run about the same as my list config, Ryzen 5 1400, rx480, 8gb 2133

I can verify that everything is working as it should. And no, if I game at all it’ll be light games. Some league, apex, the Sims (my wife enjoys it a lot)
I mostly just want to know if it’ll run about the same as my list config, Ryzen 5 1400, rx480, 8gb 2133
The RX 480 is way more powerful than the HD 7970. The GPUs are basically worth nothing since no games can use 2 GPUs now.

Which model is the PSU? If its a quality one then it might be worth it but performance wise the CPU is on par with the 1400. Why not upgrade to a 2700X for ~150$?

The GPUs are basically worth nothing since no games can use 2 GPUs now.
Totally untrue.
Efficiency or whether it's 'worth it' is a totally different argument. mGPU (whether it's AMD or NVIDIA) is supported by many, many, many games.

Edit - I do agree with the RX480 comment though. Run some baseline benches on the HD7970 rig as is and then swap in the RX480 and test to see what kind of a boost it gives you.

Last edited:
Totally untrue.
The 7970s are anyways too old to beat a single RX480 and which new game works with mGPU without issues and has good scaling? If there was recent mGPU games people would use mGPU which is dead nowdays for a reason. Even back in the time I had dual 280X with tons of issues due to mGPU. mGPU is dead and is only used for benchmarks. That is why GPU reviews stopped including mGPU testing in their GPUs reviews.

Last edited:
Solution

Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
The RX 480 is way more powerful than the HD 7970. The GPUs are basically worth nothing since no games can use 2 GPUs now.

Which model is the PSU? If its a quality one then it might be worth it but performance wise the CPU is on par with the 1400. Why not upgrade to a 2700X for ~150$?
It’s an RM850i. And I no longer have the 1400 rig, I’m without a computer atm. And I’ll probably buy a rx5600xt next month in case the dual gpus don’t cut it. If the cpu is on par than that’s ok by me