[SOLVED] i7-4790 (non-K) stuck at 3.6 ghz, not boosting why?

Dec 6, 2020
Hi,

My CPU is constantly clocking 3.6 ghz, while it is supposed to be boosting to 3.8-4.0 ghz with Intel Turbo Boost. I see many benchmarks from this CPU ranging up to 4 ghz, but I cannot seem to get it over 3.6.

Strange thing is that in the BIOS the system does fluctuate around 3.8 ghz, but after starting windows using 3DMark and CPU-Z all cores run at 3.6 ghz. Turbo boost is enabled in Bios.

I run it on a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 mother board.

Any ideas on how to get the max out of my CPU?

Solution
On these chips, boost speed is defined for a single core at once, and is only useful if a single thread app is requiring 100% CPU time. Meaning that the other cores must be idle (or close to it) to allow boosting. Stuff like CPU-Z benchmark and 3Dmark will load all cores, preventing boost.
On these chips, boost speed is defined for a single core at once, and is only useful if a single thread app is requiring 100% CPU time. Meaning that the other cores must be idle (or close to it) to allow boosting. Stuff like CPU-Z benchmark and 3Dmark will load all cores, preventing boost.

Solution
Jan 14, 2021
Your problem could come from Windows power option.
Right click on windows start button > power options > additional power settings and select high performance if it's not.
Then on the right of the mode name , click on change plan settings > change advanced power settings. In the list you will find Processor power management, put minimum and maximum processor state to 100% and it should be good.
Think also that you can get back to Balanced mode when high perfs are not needed, it will save some power consumption.

Hope this help !