SilentkillarHF

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

so for the past months I've been dealing with an error screen saying "CPU Fan Speed error detected" upon boot up. Usually it just helped with a restart or two. But then the other day when it happened, it didn't fix after a couple of restarts, so I started googling around. Then I was told to just head over to the BIOS -> Monitor -> Ignore CPU Fan Speed... that helped, but as I was in the bios, I noticed that the CPU temperature was at 90 degrees with only being idle inside the BIOS.

This really shocked me, and scared me a little because that probably means I've been using my PC with CPU heavy programs and games for some time without knowing the CPU was having a hard time. As I saw it, I instantly decided it was time to clean the PC for dust and to apply some new thermal paste. I should mention that I'm using an old CoolerMaster liquid cooler, that's probably at it's 5th-6th year of use.

Neither the cleaning or the new thermal paste could take some of the heat, it was still at 90+ degrees. I'm suspecting that the pump in my liquid cooler might've died on me. But do any of you have any advice?

This all happened wednesday night, and I ordered new fans right away. I ordered a Cryorig H5 Ultimate and a Noctua cooler for the backend of my case. But the parts couldn't be delivered by the weekend, so now I'm left with no computer to work on or play on. Do you have any idea of what might cause the high temperatures? Could it be faulty sensors?

I tried turning off the PC and quickly go and feel around the CPU itself, and it was quite hot, but I'm not sure how 100 degrees should feel on my skin lol. It definetely was too hot for me to keep my finger there though.....

But now for the actual question... With knowing that I might've used my computer for weeks, maybe even months with my CPU running at 90 degrees, should I just stop here and wait for the new equipment, or is the i7-6700k strong enough for that, and could it get through the weekend safely without taking damage?

And maybe this is a silly question, but would it help a bit if I took an actual room fan to blow inside the side of the case with the panel off? :'D

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and thanks in advanced for any advice!

"CoolerMaster liquid cooler, that's probably at it's 5th-6th year of use. "

Enough said..

90% chance the pump is failing or has failed, now suffering from lack of fluid (micro-leaks) and/or hard water deposit fouling limiting fluid flow...

I'm surprised you got 5-6 years from it...

If your case is roomy enough, look for a conventional sink/fan Noctua (a few models available of different heights), or Scythe Mugen Rev. B...; both are very quiet.

SilentkillarHF

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019

Enough said..

90% chance the pump is failing or has failed, now suffering from lack of fluid (micro-leaks) and/or hard water deposit fouling limiting fluid flow...

If your case is roomy enough, look for a conventional sink/fan Noctua (a few models available of different heights), or Scythe Mugen Rev. B...; both are very quiet.

Yea I'm surprised too after all... It's served me for many years without problems, even though through the years I've seen it's performance gradually decreasing. As mentioned, I ordered a Cryorig H5 Ultimate CPU cooler, which I've been recommended a lot. Also ordered a Noctua 120mm fan for the backend of my case :)

Mar 1, 2019

Enough said..

my water cooler is 3 years old, and i have a Enermax Liqmax II 240S. But the hose to the radiator is heating up and the other hose is cool. could it be that the pump is damaged?

compprob237

Distinguished
The water cooler is probably the issue. There is a slim chance that the thermal paste on the CPU die has dried out but the chances of this are quite slim. Replace the cooler first and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then you might need to delid the CPU and apply new thermal paste.

One hot hose, one overly cool hose, and a room temp radiator implies little to no fluid making it to or through the radiator...(ergo, the pump....is not pumping.) :)

(Some mistakenly think that is good sign, but, alas, fluid can not be cooled from 90-100F to 68F in a one second trip thru a small fan-cooled radiator)

Reactions: compprob237