Jan 6, 2020
I have a Dell Inspiron 7567 (gaming) and I've been recently having issues with the CPU appearing to throttle while i try playing games. Though it says nothing in task manager, in XTU I can see that the package tdp will drop from ~20W to around 5W, the processor cache frequency dropps to around 0.9GHz from the usual 3.0+ and the utilization spikes to close to 100% (despite showing low in task manager). There's no obvious reason for this, I've had the computer for almost 2 years, and this is a new issue. The temps aren't high (65ish, and it seems that the temp is actually slightly higher while running well than when running poorly). I have tried a ton of things, including underclocking both cpu and gpu, checking for viruses, checking background processes, checking power settings, updating drivers and bios, and checking the cpu itself in hardware scans. Please, someone help me. It's incredibly frustrating to have a gaming laptop i can't game on.

edit: imgur link of the tracking in XTU. The up and down portion was while playing Dead by Daylight, and the stable at the end was after exiting the game. View: https://imgur.com/Qmy3nWO

Maybe the laptop is in quiet mode? Not sure if Dell has an option like that? My lenovo legion has a quiet mode which also reduces the tdp of the processor and therefor reduces clockspeed aswell.

You can't find it from the power settings self, but maybe there is some software on the laptop from Dell where you can change it?

Jan 6, 2020
Maybe the laptop is in quiet mode? Not sure if Dell has an option like that? My lenovo legion has a quiet mode which also reduces the tdp of the processor and therefor reduces clockspeed aswell.

You can't find it from the power settings self, but maybe there is some software on the laptop from Dell where you can change it?
not that i'm aware of, but it's by no means quiet, the fans still run at full speed and noise level lol.

Jan 6, 2020
Did you try to reinstall windows?
I haven't, I'm a student and rely heavily on my computer so I'm concerned about taking the time/risk of reinstalling. Plus, if I reinstalled windows and that didn't fix it it would be far too frustrating. I'm trying to leave that as a last resort.

Hmm, Not sure how many cooling fans your laptop has on the inside, but I suppose 2, one for the gpu and one for the cpu, maybe the cpu fan is not working, I know you said the temps are fine, but thats maybe because it drops down to 0.9ghz to stop it from overheating? But you did do a hardware scan and the fans were also working right? You could try to open the bottom up and then run a game and see if any of the fans is not spinning.

You said the laptop is making lots of noice from the fans when your gaming but maybe thats only the gpu one while the cpu fan is doing nothing.

Jan 6, 2020
Hmm, Not sure how many cooling fans your laptop has on the inside, but I suppose 2, one for the gpu and one for the cpu, maybe the cpu fan is not working, I know you said the temps are fine, but thats maybe because it drops down to 0.9ghz to stop it from overheating? But you did do a hardware scan and the fans were also working right? You could try to open the bottom up and then run a game and see if any of the fans is not spinning.

You said the laptop is making lots of noice from the fans when your gaming but maybe thats only the gpu one while the cpu fan is doing nothing.

It isn't the fans, i ran a scan on them and the way it's put together, they blow out of separate vents. I can feel the airflow from both the same as always, so it's not a fan issue. Plus, as i mentioned it doesn't always happen, and I can be gaming with temps ~80 without the issue occurring. There is no obvious cause.

I have a Dell Inspiron 7567 (gaming) and I've been recently having issues with the CPU appearing to throttle while i try playing games. Though it says nothing in task manager, in XTU I can see that the package tdp will drop from ~20W to around 5W, the processor cache frequency dropps to around 0.9GHz from the usual 3.0+ and the utilization spikes to close to 100% (despite showing low in task manager). There's no obvious reason for this, I've had the computer for almost 2 years, and this is a new issue. The temps aren't high (65ish, and it seems that the temp is actually slightly higher while running well than when running poorly). I have tried a ton of things, including underclocking both cpu and gpu, checking for viruses, checking background processes, checking power settings, updating drivers and bios, and checking the cpu itself in hardware scans. Please, someone help me. It's incredibly frustrating to have a gaming laptop i can't game on.

edit: imgur link of the tracking in XTU. The up and down portion was while playing Dead by Daylight, and the stable at the end was after exiting the game. View: https://imgur.com/Qmy3nWO
Which power plan are you using?
Monitor temperatures and see if its overheating at a certain point.
Some laptops have a key above or in the keyboard to increase fan speed.
Note that many laptops don't reach their turbo speed because of heat. A laptop isn't designed for heavy gaming.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Laptops are all about battery life and heat. When plugged in, you are still using the battery, not line voltage, except it's being recharged constantly. When unplugged, it'll drop TDP to lower power usage, which creates less heat from battery draw.

So that said, how's the battery doing? If it's overheating or about shot as far as lifespan goes, it'll kill power outputs, especially compared to normal TDP usage.

Also, if it's an older NiCad style, many of them develop hangups where only a portion is left viable. Has it seen periodic full drains?

Jan 6, 2020
Which power plan are you using?
Monitor temperatures and see if its overheating at a certain point.
Some laptops have a key above or in the keyboard to increase fan speed.
Note that many laptops don't reach their turbo speed because of heat. A laptop isn't designed for heavy gaming.
Both laptop and nvidia control panel are set to maximize performance. It's a gaming laptop with good heat management - the temps rarely even hit 80 but again, the issue doesnt always happen and will go over without issue sometimes when functioning properly. There's a difference between not hitting turbo speed and barely functioning though. Also, it's not even heavy gaming becuase it will happen 2 minutes into a game opening and sitting on the menu.

Laptops are all about battery life and heat. When plugged in, you are still using the battery, not line voltage, except it's being recharged constantly. When unplugged, it'll drop TDP to lower power usage, which creates less heat from battery draw.

So that said, how's the battery doing? If it's overheating or about shot as far as lifespan goes, it'll kill power outputs, especially compared to normal TDP usage.

Also, if it's an older NiCad style, many of them develop hangups where only a portion is left viable. Has it seen periodic full drains?

Battery is fine, lasts several hours unplugged (note: as a budget gaming laptop, this is pretty standard if impressive). Doesnt drain fully too often but on occasion it does. Its definitely not the issue as it started happening really suddenly.