I7 930 On GA-X58A-UD3R Problems

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I can get the block stable at 190 with QPI/VTT voltage of 1.455. Not sure if that's too high. I can also get the CPU clock stable at either 21 or 22 with a vcore of 1.2. However, when I try to set both, I can't get the system stable no matter what I do. It lasts for about 5 min under Intelburn then BSOD. I have 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600, all I did was enable the extended profile and set the spd to 6, then back to 8. Both were stable. I've tried increasing the Vcore up to 1.33, but that hasn't done anything except increase my temps. I have turbo disabled and LLC set to 2. I don't want to increase the VTT anymore as it's already high. I'm also running hot at full load on real temp. I have a thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. I'm pretty sure I can get it stable at 180 block, but I really want 4ghz.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Are you saying that you are unsure why you are unable to get 4GHz without changing the CPU voltage?

Of course you can't just go straight to 4GHz without changing any settings. You are supposed to work your way up to 4GHz upping the vcore as you go.

By the sound of it you haven't read a guide. Here is something to read:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

Hope that helps.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
You are supposed to go up slowly with the CPU speed, not all in one step.

Set the CPU voltage to stock. You start at 3.2GHz, if it starts then you run Prime 95 for 20 minutes and if it doesn't crash then you up the OC to 3.4GHz and do it again.

Once it starts to crash then you up the vcore a small amount and retry. Also monitor your temps while your running P95.

Get it? You can't go straight to 4GHz in one swoop.

[EDIT]
Also 1.455v VTT seems to high for just 190MHz. Are you sure you can't lower it.

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I didn't. I went in small steps up to block 190. I couldn't get past that. My problem is that I can get block 190 stable and cpu clock 21 stable, but not both at the same time. I don't want to increase VTT voltage anymore because it's already high and increasing vcore just seems to increase my temps, nothing else.

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
How many times do I have to say the same thing? I didn't go straight to those settings. If you look at the guide it you increase each part in small steps on it's own so if something goes wrong, you know what's causing it. Each part (CPU clock, Bclock, RAM) is stable on it's own. It's when I set both the bclock and cpu clock to their max settings that I had stable I get the problem. Did YOU read the guide so you are familiar with it, or even my original post? I've OC'd 775's before, but not an i7.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Are you saying that you had it stable at like 190MHz x 10 = 1.9GHz. And then stable at 133 x 21 = 2.8GHz.

Then you set them both to 190 x 21 = 4GHz

I haven't actually read the guide, I am experienced in OCing 775s but didn't know the voltages and stuff for my i3. I read the start part of the guide, if it says to go straight to 4GHz then it is bad.

If you did work up slowly to 4GHz and it is only not stable at 4GHz but it is stable at 3.8/3.9 then you need to add more vcore. That is what vcore does, makes it stable a higher clocks. You say you've OCed 775s before yet you don't even know the fundamentals.

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The guide says to go up in steps. More info about my system. I have 8hd's (I do video editing as a side business) and 2 HD 5770's crossfired. All the components throw off so much heat that even before I BSOD I'm pushing 95 degrees with my Ultra 120. Also probably why my voltages are so high. I probably worded my original post incorrectly, I know vcore will make the OC stable, but due to my temps I was wondering if there was something else I could change. I was thinking RAM timings, but I've never experimented with advanced memory settings before.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
95'C!!! That is WAY too hot. You should reset that back to stock settings right away. I would not go over 65'C for 24/7 and for max I would be uncomfortable with 70-75. Running at those temps you have a serious chance of blowing your CPU.

I believe that VTT voltage increases CPU temperature, this could explain why yours are so high. Are you sure you cannot lower the VTT voltage for that same bclock.

To lower your temps you should try to lower that VTT voltage. Try and get it stable at 190MHz with 10x multiplier at a lower VTT voltage.

At stock what kind of temperatures do you get? This will see if there is something wrong with your cooling or if the excessive voltages are doing it all.

This has nothing to do with RAM timings. That is what you do separate to CPU OCing, during CPU OCing you just make sure the RAM doesn't go past its rated speed.

crazy032

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I seem to have discovered my problem. I read on another forum to basically leave everything alone and just increase vcore. I've gotten fairly stable at 191X21 with 1.325 vcore, except I keep getting rounding errors in prime 95 after about an hour. I've turned hyperthreading off to keep my temps under control and I'm hitting 83 at 100% load. I've found out what's causing my hot temps as well. The case fan that my Ultra 120 blows into isn't really doing anything and the hot air is circulating inside the case. I'm going to upgrade to a Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 (not sure if all 8 of my HD's will fit, but I think so) from a Thermaltake armor case that's about 6 years old as well as a Noctua NH-D14 from my Ultra 120. I'm planning to do that sometime next week.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
83'C is NOT an acceptable temperature. You could easily wreck your processor running that temp. Have you tried to lower the VTT like I said? You should put your CPU back to stock if you don't like the thought of spending another $300 on a new CPU soon.

If your still getting errors then you do not have a high enough vcore to keep it stable.

I doubt that a bit of warm air circulating around the case will cause much heat increase. Check your temps at stock and see if they are high. Your HSF might not be installed properly. If your case really does not have enough fans then add more, even if you have to dodgy mount them. If will be cheaper then a new case and you will be able to check if there is a difference in temps.

You could also take the components out of the case and test then out of it as you would have to do this anyway if you bought a new case. See if this improves your temps but I'd say it won't.

Try getting that VTT voltage lower aswell, I have said this twice before I believe. Why won't you try it? That VTT voltage seems too high for 190MHz and could be causing your high temps. Some people have a rule to keep the VTT at the same voltage as the CPU, yours is much higher.