Sep 6, 2019
Finally accomplished a goal that's allowing myself to build my new computer! Much excitement! I order everything that I need from Amazon. All of it except the case, ram, and psu. I wait about a week. Everything's come in it's finally time to build it all. Pull out the mobo and CPU
first things first let's get this bad boy in this bad boy right? Wrong.

Reactions: valeman2012
Something maybe a little odd with that CPU. Fake perhaps. Can I see a picture of the underside?

Notches look off and the font on the CPU seems bolder than it should be.

Heres what a 9900k should look like
INTEL-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-3757432254.jpg

You CPU looks more like a sandy bridge CPU from 8 years ago.
L_00005242.jpg

All of the gold pads on top of the sandy bridge CPU are the same as your "I9"
Also, the IHS shape looks the same.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
Hate to say it but that is not a 9900k. The alignment tabs are wrong for an 8th/8th gen cpu. look more like a 2nd/3rd gen socket 1155 cpu. I would contact the seller. Either they scammed you, or they got scammed and either didn't realize it or just passed it on.

Sep 6, 2019
Where did you buy the processor from?
Based on the notches, I dont believe its a 9900k.
Amazon.

Something maybe a little odd with that CPU. Fake perhaps. Can I see a picture of the underside?

Notches look off and the font on the CPU seems bolder than it should be.

Heres what a 9900k should look like
INTEL-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-3757432254.jpg
You CPU looks more like a sandy bridge CPU from 8 years ago.
L_00005242.jpg

All of the gold pads on top of the sandy bridge CPU are the same as your "I9"
Also, the IHS shape looks the same.

I'll get you a few pictures once I get home. Went to Wingstop to stress eat. Hopefully I'll be able to log in to wow classic on my old fx 8320..... So bummed

bignastyid

Titan
Wouldn't be the first time Amazon received something back and resold it(as new) without checking or verifying it first. Happened to me twice.

What has happened is some scum bag ordered the 9900k, grabbed an old cpu and scrubbed off the old identification on the IHS and printed the 9900K's info on it and sent it back, likely for a refund. Amazon gets it and returns it to new stock(which iirc is actually illegal in most places).

Sep 6, 2019
Wouldn't be the first time Amazon received something back and resold it(as new) without checking or verifying it first. Happened to me twice.

What has happened is some scum bag ordered the 9900k, grabbed an old cpu and scrubbed off the old identification on the IHS and printed the 9900K's info on it and sent it back, likely for a refund. Amazon gets it and returns it to new stock(which iirc is actually illegal in most places).

Just got off the phone with Amazon, I'm returning it and getting a full refund, gotta send it in tomorrow. The guy said because it has the factory Intel seal stickers on it that the issue isn't on there end, it's on Intel's. I shoulda went ryzen

bignastyid

Titan
Just got off the phone with Amazon, I'm returning it and getting a full refund, gotta send it in tomorrow. The guy said because it has the factory Intel seal stickers on it that the issue isn't on there end, it's on Intel's. I shoulda went ryzen
I highly doubt Intel did that, likely the scum bag was able to open it without damaging the seals or replaced them making it look unbroken.

Reactions: Justafatman

TRENDING THREADS