Question If voltage doesn't drop at idle with adaptive offset, then might as well use (better) manual voltage?

Nov 25, 2019
Hi, my adaptive offset voltages stick to around 1.2V at idle, according to to my board's VR VOUT readings. With that in mind, I might as well just use a manual voltage setting, because I can potentially get a stable overclock with a lower voltage and better CPU temps, right? The only reason I opted for adaptive offset is because I believed voltages would go down at idle, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least according to VR VOUT. VCore reading on HWInfo shows that voltages go down to around 0.600-0.700mv at idle, but VCore isn't as accurate, at least when VR VOUT is available (so I've read).

Some potentially useful info:
  • Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390
  • 9700K @5GHz; Vcore set to normal; adaptive offset set to -0.040. Voltage goes up to around 1.375 during BF V. Temp around 75C with BF V (2x 360 rads, ~1,100 rpm fans, CPU + GPU loop)
  • Haven't touched other settings in BIOS.
  • Feel free to ask for more information.

Nov 25, 2019
What version of BIOS and AMD chipset drivers do you have? Running Win10 with all updates?

Running the latest F11 BIOS for that board (Aorus Pro Z390).

I'm using an Intel chip (9700K), so no AMD drivers. Not sure what the equivalent for Intel would be.

Running Windows 10 1903 (1909 is available, but a little hesitant of downloading Windows updates due to reports of instability with updates).

For what it's worth, I won't be bummed if idle voltage doesn't drop with adaptive offset. Just wondering if that's normal.