Question I'm COMPLETELY stumped. Please help.

blacklightning452

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
My best friend Has a stock 2080 TI, plays in 2k, just as I do, We both have the same CPU, I-9 10900k, both watercooled. I have 32gb of DDR4 ram at 3000 MHZ, he has half of that, not sure of the MHz. He has a Stock 2080TI, I have a "Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC" We both played "The Cycle"'s playtest yesterday, both on an SSD, my CPU tends to hit around 45-50 C while gaming, gpu tends to hit around 65-70 C. We both played on ultra with the FPS cap at 120, both using 144Hz monitors. He was getting a smooth 120 frames, I was getting about 70, and at one point it started chugging down to about 25-30, this isn't the only game. A lot of games are doing this now, Especially things like Halo Infinite, CoD Black Ops Cold War, Elden ring dips but we all know it's got bad performance, but then again so does Halo Inf. It's strange though because games like Tarkov, Red Dead 2 and such gorgeous games run just fine, but it always seems to be VERY specific games that aren't that crazy looking that tend to run great for me for an hour or 2 then suddenly starts to chug, but my temps do NOT go any further than earlier mentioned. I'm stumped, I've done full PC virus scans on Defender, doing one on Malwarebytes now. CPU boost is on in my MSI BIOS, so is XMP, XMP is set for my DDR4 3000MHz, all drivers are up to date, I have all my .net frameworks, Nvidia control panel settings are fine tuned. I'm COMEPLETELY stumped. Any game I run ok, he runs twice as good with similar or lesser hardware.

Reactions: Joshpanwww22

blacklightning452

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
Another interesting thing I should mention is very specific games like Halo Infinite and CoD Cold War can run just fine when the PC is freshly booted, but not great, but if I've been gaming for hours and then decide to play one or the other, Even at lowest graphics with internal resolution very low, we're talking visible pixels here, they can still run sub 30 frames, this has happened a few times, and again that's with no noticable change in temps, which is insanely strange.

blacklightning452

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
So I did 2, first one while I was doing a few things, https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51384786
The other while fully idle, just the browser open. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51385409

The first could be the issue, I hadn't realized that POTENTIALLY this could be a huge issue, my Windows C drive is a 6 year old, kingston (so not very popular) 256GB SSD and it's got aabout 2gb of space on it rn, We believe cloning my SSD to my 512gb M.2 would do the trick. But we'll have to see.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would check to see if you missed installing something like a motherboard level SATA driver (etc.) or chipset driver.

Have you gone to Device Manager to see if there are any yellow triangles?

When you built this system did you install all the appropriate motherboard drivers and update BIOS?

There should be various programs to check drive health, but the issue I see is ALL your drives are showing low performance. This could actually be caused by one drive that is starting to fail which keeps the bus busy trying to "keep in touch" with it.
Def. need more free space overhead.

I would think the 970 would be a better OS drive.

blacklightning452

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
I would check to see if you missed installing something like a motherboard level SATA driver (etc.) or chipset driver.

Have you gone to Device Manager to see if there are any yellow triangles?

When you built this system did you install all the appropriate motherboard drivers and update BIOS?

There should be various programs to check drive health, but the issue I see is ALL your drives are showing low performance. This could actually be caused by one drive that is starting to fail which keeps the bus busy trying to "keep in touch" with it.
Def. need more free space overhead.

I would think the 970 would be a better OS drive.
Gonna be switching my OS drive to my 512gb M.2 Tonight, as for device manager, I'm either not seeing them or they're not there. Never once seen a yellow triangle on the device manager, ever. For the MB drivers I'm certain I got them all but I'll double check tonight

blacklightning452

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
I cloned my Windows over to an M.2, it's only half full now and a much better drive....nothing has changed at all, I haven't gained a single frame on this game. I checked to be sure all of the MSI drivers and intel chipsets are downloaded/ up to date. Except the intel engine management driver, I got the latest bios, nothing...