Build Advice I'm having alot of trouble putting together this rig and making it run properly. I'm a complete noob and in need of some tech advice. Please help...

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
So I don't really know if my rig is built correctly or not. I put it together and have reinstalled windows over a hundred times. My computer has been experiencing trouble with running games like the elder scrolls online and even basic games like minecraft. When i play these games i experience alot of stuttering to the point where its unplayable. For example, when I'm playing a game and set the settings to low my computer stuttering goes to a minimum but its still there and my cpu sits at around 30% usage and my gpu is at like 10-50% usage, however, when I set the graphis to max, my cpu shoots up to 100% and my gpu sits at 100%. So I just need alot of help with it and i can't figure out why its running so horribly.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI b450 tomahawk max 2
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: RX 580 8gb Black edition oc+
Power supply: 750W bronze edition
Cooling: Cooler master Hyper 212
HDD: Seagate 1TB
Monitor: AOC 2757

Reactions: f8betmobi
Have you tested your HDD or your RAM for defects?

How much RAM do you have?

How much free space on the hard drive?

What are your temps when idling and when doing serious gaming?

Have you done any type of ordinary maintenance.......such as Disk Cleanup or defragmenting the the disk or virus scans

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Have you tested your HDD or your RAM for defects?

How much RAM do you have?

How much free space on the hard drive?

What are your temps when idling and when doing serious gaming?

Have you done any type of ordinary maintenance.......such as Disk Cleanup or defragmenting the the disk or virus scans

yes I've ran a mem test and i got no issues with it. I dont think i've tested my HDD but i did defrag it recently but I reinstalled my windows so I'm not sure if its still stuttering but I've reinstalled windows mulitple times and it still does the same things so. I have plently of free space, more than 90% of it is free. My temps while idle are 25-30C. When i run cenebench it gets up to 75-80C. I've ran a windows defender virus scan offline and it didnt get anything back.

You say in your second post "I'm not sure if its still stuttering".

So, maybe no more problems?

Is this all a new development and everything used to be fine?

For all I know, your expectations are too high.....but maybe not if it used to be OK.

I don't game and I don't know much about AMD or video cards.

Do you have any issues at all when NOT gaming?

Have you taken a gander into Task Manager when it's slow?

So I don't really know if my rig is built correctly or not. I put it together and have reinstalled windows over a hundred times. My computer has been experiencing trouble with running games like the elder scrolls online and even basic games like minecraft. When i play these games i experience alot of stuttering to the point where its unplayable. For example, when I'm playing a game and set the settings to low my computer stuttering goes to a minimum but its still there and my cpu sits at around 30% usage and my gpu is at like 10-50% usage, however, when I set the graphis to max, my cpu shoots up to 100% and my gpu sits at 100%. So I just need alot of help with it and i can't figure out why its running so horribly.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI b450 tomahawk max 2
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: RX 580 8gb Black edition oc+
Power supply: 750W bronze edition
Cooling: Cooler master Hyper 212
HDD: Seagate 1TB
Monitor: AOC 2757
Run this with the browser closed.
UBM

Provide a LINK to the results page.

Let's see if something is going to jump out.

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
By the way. I do think something may be wrong in the registry maybe because when i was younger, i had different parts in this system and i used to screw with it to try and make things run better. But i was ignorant back then so i may have screwed something up. But i've reinstalled windows since then so you think itd be okay now? I have also upgraded my computer many times since i've had this computer

By the way. I do think something may be wrong in the registry maybe because when i was younger, i had different parts in this system and i used to screw with it to try and make things run better. But i was ignorant back then so i may have screwed something up. But i've reinstalled windows since then so you think itd be okay now? I have also upgraded my computer many times since i've had this computer

Any clean install of Windows will give you an entirely new registry. Best to leave it alone.

At first glance, the only problem noted is hard drive.

But....no indication that it is defective as opposed to just slow.

If things used to be fine and now are bad, maybe it is defective in some way.

But you haven't said anything about that as far as I know.

An SSD is typically a recommendation, but if your gaming used to be fine and now isn't, maybe it wouldn't solve much.

You say you don't think you tested the hard drive. You might try that.

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
At first glance, the only problem noted is hard drive.

But....no indication that it is defective as opposed to just slow.

If things used to be fine and now are bad, maybe it is defective in some way.

But you haven't said anything about that as far as I know.

An SSD is typically a recommendation, but if your gaming used to be fine and now isn't, maybe it wouldn't solve much.

You say you don't think you tested the hard drive. You might try that.

How would i test the hard drive??
You talking about the error checking in windows ?

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I'm not exactly sure if its still stuttering, I'm still trying to download the games i had because i reset my computer again. Honestly, I'm not sure. I did have it running pretty smooth at one point but I think it would still stutter here and there. If you saw what i saw when I would play games, its pretty much unplayable because it seems like my game is freezing up or something. Is there any way i can show you guys whats happening with my games? like post it on youtube or something?

Is there any way i can show you guys whats happening with my games? like post it on youtube or something?

It wouldn't help me help you if you did.

You imply it may have been running fairly well at one time.

I think you have a strong processor.

If it's a hardware problem, it's likely a problem related to hard disk, RAM, or video card.

You said you tested RAM. Not sure how.

I have no idea about your video card.

RAM speed might have some effect, but its more important that none of the sticks are outright dead.

Unknown software, processes, viruses, etc can always affect anything you are trying to do.

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020

If it's a hardware problem, it's likely a problem related to hard disk, RAM, or video card.

RAM speed might have some effect, but its more important that none of the sticks are outright dead.

Unknown software, processes, viruses, etc can always affect anything you are trying to do.

I've ran MEMtest to check my ram and everything came back fine, no issues. i'll run the windows repair option and see if anything comes back on my hdd, and ill also enable the XMP profile to 3200 mhz for my ram. I don't think any of them are because I have tried just running my computer with just one ram with both of them and everything was fine.

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020

Didn't find any issues with windows repair for the HDD

Mar 21, 2022
i had that problem once when i overclocked my gpu. it would not overheat but it kept stuttering. also had a similar problem once with a old hard drive. i went from western digital drives to seagate drives and have not really had much issues. now i use m.2 drives for the speed benefits.

if you have another power supply you can try switch them out. maybe not enough wattage being provided or you need to upgrade to more wattage ?

BADAZZMEDIC

Prominent
May 2, 2020
i had that problem once when i overclocked my gpu. it would not overheat but it kept stuttering. also had a similar problem once with a old hard drive. i went from western digital drives to seagate drives and have not really had much issues. now i use m.2 drives for the speed benefits.

if you have another power supply you can try switch them out. maybe not enough wattage being provided or you need to upgrade to more wattage ?

i have swapped the powersupply before in the past and the problem still presists. I have a 750w psu so that should be more than enough.