[SOLVED] I'm selling my PC tomorrow and need help making sure all my files are deleted beforehand.

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm going to be selling my custom PC I built tomorrow to a friend but I want to make sure that all my files are deleted before I do so.

I've had numerous people tell me that all I have to do is do the "Reset this PC" option on Windows 10, but I have a few questions.

My first one is, I upgraded to Windows 10 like I feel most people did from Windows 8.1, so if I do this reset and choose to delete everything...will it delete Windows 10 as well?

Someone told me that once I do the reset I'll be prompted to provide a Windows product key and I don't believe I have my Windows 8.1 key anymore or even a Windows 10 key for that matter.

So is this the easiest and safest way? If I do so will I be screwed because I deleted the operating system without a key in the process?

Or what exactly do I do.

Appreciate the help!

Solution
I've had numerous people tell me that all I have to do is do the "Reset this PC"

No.
Full wipe of ALL partitions and a reinstall.

You're selling this with the license key?
No problem. After you do this wipe and reinstall, it will activate itself again when it goes online.

USAFRet

Titan
I've had numerous people tell me that all I have to do is do the "Reset this PC"

No.

No problem. After you do this wipe and reinstall, it will activate itself again when it goes online.

Solution

NotsogoodwithPCs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
No.

How do I do that first part? I'm a total noob to all this and beyond confused :/