[SOLVED] Improving windows boot time

TheGameSpider

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Hello,
I currently have windows installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD with 2000MB/s read/write speed and 350k IOPS. Windows load up pretty quickly, but can the boot time be still improved by upgrading to something like WD Black SN850 NVMe, with 7000MB/4100MB per second read/write speed and 800k IOPS? Will this make significant difference like 2-3 times faster?

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,
I currently have windows installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD with 2000MB/s read/write speed and 350k IOPS. Windows load up pretty quickly, but can the boot time be still improved by upgrading to something like WD Blue SN550 NVMe, with 7000MB/4100MB per second read/write speed and 800k IOPS? Will this make significant difference like 2-3 times faster?
No.
Benchmark drive speed has little to do with "boot time".

Between SATA III and PCIe 4.0, a couple of seconds at best.
Between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0, tenths of a second.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4
Hello,
I currently have windows installed on a WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD with 2000MB/s read/write speed and 350k IOPS. Windows load up pretty quickly, but can the boot time be still improved by upgrading to something like WD Blue SN550 NVMe, with 7000MB/4100MB per second read/write speed and 800k IOPS? Will this make significant difference like 2-3 times faster?
No.
I fact you could put the OS on a 2.5 ssd and the diff in boot time would be close to zip.

Try making your startup group skinny and see that helps.

TheGameSpider

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
In task manager, I have disabled all unnecessary services, shut down the PC and started again. Last BIOS time is 10.1 seconds, I have seen some screenshots, this value is usually 3-4 seconds. I have fast startup enabled in bios.

how many sec onds does it boot up now?

Now it takes 20-25 seconds from pressing to power button until login screen, then 10-15 seconds until everything is loaded ip.

Try making your startup group skinny and see that helps.

I only have Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, Realtek HD Audio, Windows security notifications and iCue Enabled

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
No.
Benchmark drive speed has little to do with "boot time".

Between SATA III and PCIe 4.0, a couple of seconds at best.
Between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0, tenths of a second.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

Solution
You don't need any of that startup stuff to load Windows if you're just trying to see how fast you can boot.

Your original post speaks of upgrading from WD SN550 to WD SN550. That has me confused. Are there 2 different versions of the SN550 now?

TheGameSpider

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
You don't need any of that startup stuff to load Windows if you're just trying to see how fast you can boot.

Your original post speaks of upgrading from WD SN550 to WD SN550. That has me confused. Are there 2 different versions of the SN550 now?
Sorry, I ment from WD blue SN550 to WD black SN850

USAFRet

Titan