[SOLVED] In desperate need of help: PC won't boot and PSU clicks

Jul 11, 2021
So I connected the RAM, GPU, and CPU to the motherboard, connected the GPU and CPU to the PSU, and connected the PSU to the motherboard. I try to jump start it with a screwdriver but PC does not boot and there is a click sound.

PC Build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X
  • PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold

This is what happened in a video
I caught a glimpse of a light source here (from the video) but no idea where it came from exactly
And in case you want to see a picture without the light source
I also did a paper clip test here

Sorry about the dirt, messiness, background, and I appreciate any help!

I also heard from one my friends that it could be the motherboard has an older bios which my CPU doesn't work with (hopefully makes sense, I'm pretty new to this), just want to make sure if that's possible or we can rule that out.

Solution
If this is a brand new build, one of the more common errors made is failing to check the proper positions of all the STAND-OFFS under the mobo before installing. If you did that, review to be sure. If you don't know about it, post back here for details. This IS a common cause of a short circuit that disables the power to the mobo.

Another item that can cause a short is misuse of certain fans that come with BOTH a small female fan connector AND a wider 4-pin Molex connector on their wires.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this is a brand new build, one of the more common errors made is failing to check the proper positions of all the STAND-OFFS under the mobo before installing. If you did that, review to be sure. If you don't know about it, post back here for details. This IS a common cause of a short circuit that disables the power to the mobo.

Another item that can cause a short is misuse of certain fans that come with BOTH a small female fan connector AND a wider 4-pin Molex connector on their wires.

Solution
Jul 11, 2021

Thanks for the reply, I also tried it without the case and used a screwdriver to start it, doesn't that mean the stand-offs can't be it? I could be wrong, and I'll try the second suggestion as well, thank you

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are right. If you got exactly the same result with the mobo on an insulating surface outside the case, then stand-offs were not the cause.

Regarding the fans with two types of connectors: IF you have any of those, their intent is that you plug ONE of those in - use EITHER the connector to a mobo header, OR the one to a Molex output from the PSU. NEVER both.