In Pictures: Dear Developers, 15 Games Worthy Of A Sequel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudbase

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
This is a missed opportunity - mostly for not going back in time far enough. Two games - Magic Carpet 2 (Bullfrog) and Outcast (French developer - Infogrames?) ache to be sequelled.

Magic carpet has SUCH a natural and multi-layers multiplayer dynamic, and there has been nothing like its mixture of god-game and first person shooter/RPG before or since. A modern graphics engine rendering the real-time landscape deformations and spells, with multiplayer whizzing about on your carpet attacking others strongholds while trying to build up your own... :D

Equally, Outcast with its Voxel graphics engine conjured up a landscape that still today is gorgeously alien and richly three-dimensional. The sense of emersion, plot development, variety of exploration versus combat, combined with a genuine world-saving dynamic that you cared about provided a unique experience, aching for a revisit.

imho, of course

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Brandon S[/nom]Out of all those games L.A. Noire is the most worthy and I'm sure Rockstar will not miss the chance to make a sequel.[/citation]

What about Half Life 2? It was one of the best games I ever played. Plot, gameplay, graphics, everything was very well made. Dont you agree?

Cheers,
Andre

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Remake Quake I and follow that by a sequel. Seal of Nehara storyline maybe?For indie games, Shadowgrounds needs a sequel (I'm not counting the Survivor prequel).[/citation]

The problem with remaking an old game like Quake is that it will either mostly lose the style it had, or be so updated for today's audience that the connection will be tenuous. It wouldn't be Quake anymore.

I site Duke Nukem Forever as an example of what I'm saying. To me, it was pretty much classic Duke and fun to play, but others thought it wasn't a good game. I think that was mostly because it didn't play like a modern FPS so much as it played like - Duke Nukem from last decade. (I'm not saying it was a perfect game, but considering its development mish-mash I thought it was about as good as it was going to get without starting from scratch, and no one was going to do that. It would have been better if they did - and we would have waited another 2 years or so for it, I'm sure.)

;)

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Not sure if people still remember it but how many of you have played "OUTCAST" ? It's been so long now, but i swear every person that played that game fell in love with it... A sequel was in the works but the studion went bunkrupt... Would love to see that happen.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The Saboteur? The travel in that game is fking infuriating! Super ultra look travel distance between every single task, ping pong across the same road couple of times and you would hope for fast traveling...
BFBC2? Really? The lag in the pc version is just p*** poor and they didn't even fix it in BF3, why would they do anything about it in the next sequel? The spawn right freaking in front of someone just like in COD... and just pure frustration at the so called dedicated servers that plays like p2p connection.
Alpha Protocol? You seriousness? The PC version is a complete f up by any means. I mean, what were they thinking? Have they play their game? Sooooo much WTF moments in the game, and the mechanics are just bad. It's like Max Payne in a development beta got leaked...

edijsv

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
dafuq? Soldier of Fortune should be here. Despite the fact that the third game was c*ap we should give the franchise back to the original creators - Raven Software - so that they can make the world whole again.

G

Only a couple on that list deserve remakes. List should have included Star Control, Elite, Auto Duel, a real Pirates successor, M.U.L.E. and Racing Destruction Set. Dungeon Keeper, Wizardry/Bards Tale, Mail Order Monsters would also make my list as well.

I want to see Soldier of Fortune 4 (forget the 3rd part, ugh). It's like having Capt Price starring it's own bad ass game. That's hard to beat, although they screwed it up with the 3rd one, sadly.

Also, I want to see Homeworld 3 and Warcraft IV. Half Life 3 is a must and Valve knows it. I don't agree with L4D3 though, L4D2 is as good as it gets for a long long time, unless they get really creative with the content and characters. Hard to beat the L4D1 chars charisma.

Cheers!

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
aidyn chronicles the first mage? super mario RPG. super metroid. quake 3 arena..
ya i know some of these games were attempted. but they need to try harder, and do it right.

G

I heard a Just Cause 3 is being made, but it's not going to be called JC3.

I still want Star Wars Battle Front 3 :(

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
"..we polled the Tom's Hardware audience on Facebook..."

I think I see the problem. Rather small set of readers there, and skewed demographics. Worst list yet. Please find another method. Thanks

pcman911

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Did not see it posted, but the original Far Cry needs a remake or sequel. Far Cry 2 was not a sequel or I do not feel it even belonged. No Jack Carver and the beautiful paradise scenes with very good AI. I would like to see Jack Carver have to take the reporter back to the island because of some mysterious thing left behind only to find that the militant group has returned and some of the mutagens are alive again. Far Cry was one of the best LAN / Multiplayer games for its time and graphics were almost unparalleled.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'd definetly want a new burnout paradise. I've spent almost as much time on that as I did on nfs porche over the years.
But imo scar's a racing game that deserves a followup too. And so was crc2005.

But I'd be over the moon if logic factory'd make a new Ascendancy

Status
Not open for further replies.