Jun 4, 2021
Me and my buddys parted together from people selling parts around for my PC. I bought a b550 phantom gaming 4 and a r3 3200g. Without thinking to look into cpu compatibility. Well long story short. The PC still somehow posts runs games fine and even Benchmarks near where it should wo/oc. That being said I finally got my hands on a juicy Ryzen 5 5600x. Now comes the help. I am running BIOS v1.00 because ive always been afraid to update it in case the CPU would no longer be compatible and not post. However to run the new cpu the Ryzen 5 5600x i need to update to v1.20+. I get the new cpu on the 8th and was wondering if I updated the BIOS now would there be a chance that the motherboard would not post anymore?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The only way I see you updating the BIOS is to wait for the new Ryzen processor to come through and then once you've got it in hand, update the BIOS to version 1.2. Once the flashing is complete, you should be patient for the system to run it's course, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and then replace the APU with the Ryzen 5 processor.

Considering how you were able to make a silly mistake without checking compatibility, although it does bring into question how you're still operating off that platform, I'm wondering if you even have a discrete GPU. If you don't, then please stop, since the Ryzen processor you've ordered in does not have an iGPU, rather it's not like the APU you have...

Lutfij

Titan

The only way I see you updating the BIOS is to wait for the new Ryzen processor to come through and then once you've got it in hand, update the BIOS to version 1.2. Once the flashing is complete, you should be patient for the system to run it's course, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and then replace the APU with the Ryzen 5 processor.

Considering how you were able to make a silly mistake without checking compatibility, although it does bring into question how you're still operating off that platform, I'm wondering if you even have a discrete GPU. If you don't, then please stop, since the Ryzen processor you've ordered in does not have an iGPU, rather it's not like the APU you have right now.

Solution
Jun 4, 2021

Considering how you were able to make a silly mistake without checking compatibility, although it does bring into question how you're still operating off that platform, I'm wondering if you even have a discrete GPU. If you don't, then please stop, since the Ryzen processor you've ordered in does not have an iGPU, rather it's not like the APU you have right now.
First thank you!
Next, I have the newest version for my motherboard on a usb stick ready for update FAT32 formatted with newest version 1.90.

Last if discrete meaning I am running a separate GPU then yes, I am running on a MSI 1650 Super, I have never tried the graphics part of the cpu in fear of what would happen. I get a blue screen crash with a file compiler error and maybe once every other month ill get a random black screen power down but it restart with no codes.