[SOLVED] Installing/moving windows 10 to a new SSD from HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2019
Hello,

I have my currently installed Windows 10 on a separate partition on my HDD, however I feel like I want my system to boot faster and perform better so I bought a new 250GB SSD for system itself.

The question is, is it possible for me to move Windows files somehow to the new SSD from old HDD without having to erase data from my HDD or such?

I do not want to reinstall my Windows or lose any data and get my system on SSD without any issues or such.

Thank you for all replies!

Oct 12, 2019
The current HDD is 1TB and the system is on 138GB partition, will reinstalling windows simply erase everything from the partition where it is located or will it wipe the whole HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
First, for future reference, do NOT use A or B as drive letters.

So, to migrate:
This, with slight modifications (in RED)

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive (Except your E partition)
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Oct 12, 2019
Okay so I have done the cloning process and now windows by itself is on the new SSD.

The Windows is booting from the new SSD now as I have set it in BIOS and followed your instructions.

However now the old HDD also has windows on it. The question now is, how do I delete the HDD partition with Windows on it without losing any data from the HDD?

This is how it looks now:

View: https://i.imgur.com/FZ59Mqc.png

Disk 0 is the HDD and Disk 1 is the new SSD

I have no idea where the D partition came from and I used S for the SSD and now its called F

Status
Not open for further replies.