[SOLVED] Installing windows 10 + Microsoft account ?

themiziko

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Last time I was reinstalling my win10 I immediately used my Microsoft account to complete the system setup, but it messed up a lot of names of my system folders etc,. However, Microsoft account provides some useful functionalities and I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just feels "right" to set up it like this.

But objectively, would it be better to :
  1. not use Microsoft account at all
  2. setup normal system account and then log in to Microsoft account
  3. there not any cons to setting up win10 immediately with Microsoft account, and it's the best?

So far I received a lot of mixed opinions :) that's why I'm asking

Solution
I always set up a new install with a local admin account first.
Then a standard user local account.
The Microsoft account and license verification gets input later.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Without knowing what you mean by "messed up a lot of names of my system folders" (which are entirely independent of user data folders, and which should have exactly the same names regardless of what initial user account is set up) it's impossible to say.

It is my personal preference to use a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account, and to set that up as the initial account with admin privileges when I create a Windows 10 system.

If I am setting up a system for someone else, and do not have their Microsoft Account information, I do what you propose in #2. I just set up a local account with a name that makes sense to me or that the client has specified, then after they have the system in hand they can do the "Log in with a Microsoft Account instead" step.

If you use a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User account as your initial account, and the e-mail address were johnqpublic@outlook.com, then the user folders would be under C:\Users\johnq. The first 5 characters of the full login ID/e-mail address are used. If you were to create a local account, JanePublic, instead, then they'd be under C:\Users\JaneP, as the first 5 will be taken from the local account name in this case, too. Digits will get added to the end were you to try to create other accounts that used either "johnq" or "JaneP" as the first 5 characters.

Once those folder names are established, though, they will not change. So if you were to change the JanePublic local account to log in with a Microsoft Account instead, and the e-mail address/login ID for that account were mainjane@gmail.com, you would use that address to log in after the setup is complete, but the folders for that account would have C:\Users\JaneP as their root folder since that's what got set up when the account was initially set up.