[SOLVED] Intel 1TB NVMe 660p overheating?

Bellzemos

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Hello,

I bought an Intel 1TB NVMe 660p M.2 drive and a Delock 42600 metal USB 3.1 gen2 encolosure for it. During short speed testing the numbers seem fine.

But during imaging of my internal Samsung NVMe drive, it starts at aroung 4,5 Gbps and after a couple of minutes drops to 850 Mbps, which is ridicoulous.

The metal enclosure gets really hot, I am able to hold it in my hand for a couple of seconds, no more. I'd measure the temperature during imaging, but I'm imaging in a Windows PE boot environment and don't have any other software besides the imaging program itself.

Is the hotness I described normal? Or do you think the drive is overheating and that's why I'm getting low speeds while imaging my drive (it's about 350 GB of data)?

Thank you.

You are getting slow write speeds once the internal slc cache starts overflowing.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-660p-qlc-nvme,5719.html
660P is probably not the best ssd for backups due to less endurance of the qlc nand.

As to heat, I can't say if it is normal or not.
You could experiment with a fan to cool the device and see if performance improves, but I doubt it will.

Solution

psi

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
Is it hot only while writing or while reading too? Since the question is here.
I'd say it's not that odd considering it's an external device. It's cooler inside the PC. USB sticks also get so hot on writing. . . .

Bellzemos

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
I did some more testing and it's not a heat issue. Temperature didn't exceed 45 degrees Celsius and thermal throttling only starts at 70 degrees Celsius (please correct me on that if I'm wrong).

At about ~40% of the writing (copying files on to the 660p drive) operation, the speed suddenly dropped from ~8 Gbps to ~0,85 Gbps. Reading (copying files off of the 660p drive) works fine, no drastic speed drops. So what could be the problem with writing on the 660p, is my drive faulty or what?