Intel Core i7-3770K Review: A Small Step Up From Sandy Bridge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]I'm not sure why anyone ever thought Ivy Bridge would compete with Sandy Bridge-E. Clearly, the -E series was intended to be the flagship until the next tock; Ivy Bridge is a tick upgrade of Sandy Bridge, not Sandy Bridge-E.Ivy Bridge is most important to those running without an additional graphics solution (or with a hybrid solution). While its place may not look all that important to most of us "enthusiasts", consider that for the first time you can build a DX11 capable computer WITHOUT a graphics card! That's a pretty amazing stepping stone on the progress path.[/citation]

Ummmmmm........Llano?

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
^ Yea but the sentence was worded as if it was some kind of milestone that we now had Dx11 capabilities with the release of Ivy Bridge without the need for a discreet GPU.

Same. I didn't expect to see much of any improvement, but those temps and power draw are much higher than I was hoping for. Real shame.

vandaminator

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]Well, my Athlon 64 FX-60 is standing until now, so I think I can wait for the next tock, Haswell.[/citation]

FX60, back in the old times, when the AMD made the best CPUs, the dual core FX60 was a beast

Overclocked and with a good graphics card it can still run every game, right?

In regards to gaming...and gaming only, the SB past 4.4 - 4.5Ghz netted little if any gain in regards to FPS. Iv'e only seen the this review and the one over at Anandtech and the IB out performs the SB at stock speed. If the IB can be clocked to 4.5Ghz then I don't see why anyone would purchase a SB cpu over the IB cpu in regards to gaming when it's obvious the IB nets you more FPS.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
While desktop showed little gain, mobile (i7 3720qm) showed a much larger gain (probably from bumping the speed from 2.4 ghz to 2.6 ghz). Should look at the difference between mobile and desktop and the efficienciencies (I think a decent i7 mobile quad scores about the same as an i5 2400--this will be higher with ivy bridge). Well at turbo of 2.6 ghz it probably is as fast as a quad core sandy bridge (and will be faster for production uses due to hyperthreading).

it's rare to see my upgrade (into 2500k) be still worth much after several months, most of the time it feels too old already.
but since SB is a good oc'r, ill stick with it for atleast 2 years, the VC is where the pocket burns really.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Why_Me[/nom]In regards to gaming...and gaming only, the SB past 4.4 - 4.5Ghz netted little if any gain in regards to FPS. Iv'e only seen the this review and the one over at Anandtech and the IB out performs the SB at stock speed. If the IB can be clocked to 4.5Ghz then I don't see why anyone would purchase a SB cpu over the IB cpu in regards to gaming when it's obvious the IB nets you more FPS.[/citation] if u check the article Sandy bridge @ stock are capable of maxing out GTX680. So I assume that only GK110 would only show the diff between a 3930k vs 2550K. So if u factor in a 4.4-4.5Ghz 2500K/3770K we gonna need at least another 1-2 more generation of GPU to max out what the CPU has to offer. Looks like to me a 4.5GHz Intel CPU gonna need to use a single GTX780/GTX880. @ 1080p without AA. or a pair of GTX680. May be this is the reason why Intel do not go 6 core for mainstream aside from AMD bulldozer probs.

Osiris454

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
From what I've read, I am a little dissapointed in Ivy, but I even more concerning questions in mind. The 3770K is for socket 1156 motherboards and the SandyBridge-E boards are for socket 2011. So, when is the Ivy Bridge update going to hit Socket 2011 boards? When IvyBridge-E comes out? Also, with the new Z77 chipset that now supports USB 3.0 on the Northbridge, what's the refresh or replacement of X79 going to be? I haven't been able to find any answers to these questions. Not even rumors.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Quicksinc is great but the problem is very few software packages support it! I use CS5 and its so annoying nowing you have all this power in your machine and not being able to use it!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JagwadJ[/nom]The integrated graphics are actually superior to AMD solutions on the laptop side [/citation]
Not sure I completely agree.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5772/mobile-ivy-bridge-and-asus-n56vm-preview/6

The HD 4000 is clocked nearly 3 times the speed of mobile Llano and has higher bandwidth plus an L3 cache to work with but it only really shows a proper improvement in a couple of situations. It's a fantastic boost over the HD 3000, but Trinity should eat it for lunch. I say "should"... I'm prepared to be underwhelmed, but I don't think we really have too much to worry about in that area.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]socket 939..?[/citation]
Yes, it is. Good old times when AMD used to do something to give Intel a run for it's money.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tourist[/nom]Chris i noticed a few omissions of A8 3850 benchmarks in the test, why is that ? example http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 81-20.html[/citation]
Because A8-3850 isn't really designed to compete against AMD's higher-end CPUs. The value in that product is its integrated graphics, which is what I put the emphasis on.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Before reading the rest of the article. It's expected that Ivy bridge would turn out to be roughly the same processor with improved graphics. Intel needed the 30% IPC improvement to knock AMD out of the value market and dominate all the market segments of the CPU market. Now, What Intel needed is a stronger GPU to compete against AMD's APUs. Why would Intel expose a stronger CPU tech when it's already ages ahead of AMD? No reason at all.

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
It's great seeing H61 will support Ivy Bridge.

I will move from AMD to Intel. Maybe i will get the Intel Pentium G620 for now and soon i'll get an Ivy Bridge.

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
i have seen like 8review about IVY vs FX and the only place iits funny how tomsH keep placing the FX8150 that far behind. even on winrar and winzip where the 8cores shines... that makes me believe that toms hardware some how Tomh should rename the webpage from Tomshardware to INTELHARDWARE

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have a 3 year old Rampage II Extreme i7 940 @4.2 Ghz 1366 socket PC that can run anything at ultra on. I really see no reason upgrading STILL after 3 years? I guess Consoles really hampered Hardware development.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]I have a 3 year old Rampage II Extreme i7 940 @4.2 Ghz 1366 socket PC that can run anything at ultra on. I really see no reason upgrading STILL after 3 years? I guess Consoles really hampered Hardware development.[/citation]a reason why Sabertooth mobo is better, 5yrs warranty = u wont be changing a system in 5yrs. LOL!

G

There seems to be a problem with the power consumption test.
How can it be that the 3770K is fatser than the 2700K in every test (except for one in which they were equal), and all of the tests together takes it more time?
Clearly something went wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.