Intel Core i7-3770K Review: A Small Step Up From Sandy Bridge

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inflexion

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
[citation][nom]SuperVeloce[/nom]well, i5 3570k is the IB reincarnation of 2500k.[/citation]

Thanks for the heads up. That is what I figured too. I wonder if Toms will give it the same high praise for price/performance that they did with the 2500k? We will see.

spcy15

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

yes, but we dont know that as a fact.. we are just using the cpu temp sensor.. i havent seen anyone put a heat sensor directly on it.. and the people i have seen do it, notice its much cooler than reported.

[citation][nom]spcy15[/nom]yes, but we dont know that as a fact.. we are just using the cpu temp sensor.. i havent seen anyone put a heat sensor directly on it.. and the people i have seen do it, notice its much cooler than reported.[/citation]

[H]OCP often uses a sensor. Did they do a heat test yet?

G

I'm working on an entirely new build I've been saving for for a while. Would you say it's worth getting the IVB 3770K over the SB 2700K to put in the system? I already have the motherboard: an MSI Z77A-GD65. It's probably worth going for the 3770K purely to get the most out of my board, amirite?

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]yalos4012[/nom]What about those of us that have an i7-920. Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge?[/citation]

I would wait for Haswell, if possible. Those Nehalems are still fast enough for almost anything. If there is a Core arhitecture with only two cores in your system, then I would upgrade to Ivy.

[citation][nom]gsxrme[/nom]i think ill stick to my 2600k @ 5ghz 1.5v thank you![/citation]

You're not supposed to go over 1.4v on those. 5GHz overclocks are best done on the 2700K, not the 2600K. Don't expect your chip to last very long.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]I think, I'll upgrade my 775 to Sandy Bridge.I was waiting reviews just to be sure.[/citation]

Get a Z68 motherboard so you can start with an i5-2400 and jump in 2-3 years to top end ivy bridge cpu

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I just purchased a BX80637I73770K 45 minutes ago - but, Intel has not put any support info at their web site. I hope they get their web pages updated before I receive the CPU on Tuesday.

G

will they retest the radeon 7970 and new nivida card to compare the scores with pciexpress 3.0 activated?

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]eubankrob1[/nom]will they retest the radeon 7970 and new nivida card to compare the scores with pciexpress 3.0 activated?[/citation]
I would be very surprised, if there's more than a 1-2fps gain in single card mode.

al_capwn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Poor, poor AMD. They've been behind in performance when compared to Intel. Sure, they are lower priced, but if I want a computer to keep up with the times, I'd definitely go for Intel.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I just received an email that my BX80637I73770K has shipped. I still don't see any documentation for it at Intel's web site. In fact, Intel has not listed any SKUs for Ivy Bridge as of today. Maybe if you work for Intel you don't work on weekends. Oh - and the "NEW" Intel Ivy Bridge release date is now April 29th - I guess Intel missed their original April 28th release date.

Maybe I'll receive an un-released Intel CPU on Tuesday. I'm reading old Sandy Bridge docs for now.

sftechguy

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Ok so Im about to upgrade a 5yr old Core2Quad QX6700 overclocked to a scorching 2.9Ghz on air, and I cant decide between the 3930K or 3770K. I skipped several Intel launches as you can tell so would you wait a little longer for the 6 core Ivy Bridge chips or settle for a Sandy Bridge E overclocked. To clarify I am not a hard core gamer but I would like to play some StarCraft II occassionally. I use a lot of charting software and multiple monitors with tons of spreadsheets and 64bit multithreaded Trading software like TradeStation and Ninja Trader. So please all hardware geeks please share a setup you would build, and your thoughts on waiting etc.. Sorry for being so long winded I just know how people usually respond to questions like this ie: You dont need 6 cores, any of them is more than enough so I wanted to post a few specifics. Thank you guys for any information

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html <----- start a thread in that forum

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice <---- and use that format in your first post (OP) on there

3.7% faster across all those benchmarks on average Chris is a good result for Intel given how good SB already is and I can see this is going to make a great mobile processor too.

Thoug hthe news isn't so great for the ectreme overclockers out there the power reduction and overall increase in efficiency is excellent.

Great article as usual.

:)

G

It does not matter if INTEL has HD2000,HD3000,HD4000,or HD10,000. If Intel continues to allow Laptop OEMs to Customize Their HD graphics drivers, and Intel probably will continue to allow Laptop OEMs to write customized HD graphics drivers. Laptop owners will be at the mercy of lazy Laptop OEMs who after they customize The Intel HD graphics drivers, will almost never, if ever, update these customized Intel HD graphics drivers. Laptop owners will continue to be surprised when they go to the Intel HD graphics Update website, only to learn that Intel can not update The OEM's customized HD graphics Drivers! Even light weight computer games, that may be playable on Intel's HD4000 Ivy bridge graphics can and do require driver updates, But if the laptop OEM is lazy or cheep, do not expect any HD graphics driver updates from the Laptop's OEM! Expect to have to buy a brand new laptop, just to get updated Intel HD graphics drivers from some laptop manufactures, unless you make sure that the laptop you are buying comes with Intel generic HD graphic drivers!

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hey this is a question for you guy that know a lot of stuff, i want to buy computer, my project it's a scalable one! here is the thing i need a motherboad that handle that scalability! seeing that those IB processor have a decent graphic muscle (at least better than my mobility radeon x600) i was wondering:
It is a good a idea to buy a pc that start with the motherboard (cross fire or SLI capable), and IB cpu, a single 4 GB ram module , and over the time add some extra ram to achieve a triple channel setting, and adding discreet GPUs until i end up in a quad crossfire build.
I plan to buy all the parts over the course of one or two years... Its this a good idea or just nonesense, im planning to play some games, but i also want the processing power from the gpus to run some calculations.. so what do you guys say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS