Question Intel graphics not using all of its video memory (2GB VRAM)

Feb 16, 2021
Can someone please help, i have been playing "Just Cause 3" i got avg 30-40 fps but i have alot of vram stutter, i check task manager to see how much vram is beeing used, out of 2 its using 1.3GB, how can i increase the ussage or increase the shared gpu memory (its using the shared gpu memory wich is 2GB vram).
I also have a dedicated gpu (4gb vram) but its getting an error so i play on my integrated.
Oh and can i decrease the shared gpu memory on my dedicated card (3GB VRAM) and increase the integrated gpu shared memory to 4GB
Help?

Which motherboard are you using? It´s probably not possible to increase the shared memory, but you can check the BIOS for such a setting.

Which CPU are you using?

You can´t share memory of a different GPU. Sadly that´s not possible.

Which error are you getting on your dedicated GPU? Which one is it?

Feb 16, 2021
Im using GIGABYTE motherboard
I3 4170 cpu
GT730 (dedicated vram 4gb and shared memory vram 3.9gb)
Btw its my gpu (gt 730) causing an error because something is broken but not sure what its the error is not fixible.

InvalidError

Titan
There is no point in increasing the IGP's memory size since the drivers will allocate from the OS memory pool if the IGP needs more memory than what got reserved from BIOS. The main reason you are allowed to choose the amount of reserved memory in BIOS is for compatibility with games that check VRAM size and outright refuse to run when it is too low. Unless you have such games, you can set the IGP reserved memory to 64MB and everything will still run almost exactly the same.

Reactions: Krotow

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, your integrated graphics aren't struggling because you're not using much VRAM; you're using not much VRAM because your integrated graphics are struggling. The integrated graphics on this CPU are extremely weak and it simply can't take advantage of more RAM. It's already struggling to digest what it's being fed. There's no fix for this outside of better equipment and you can't just convert physical VRAM stored on the GPU into your regular RAM, which is shared.

Honestly, it's amazing that you're even getting 30-40 at, what I presume are the lowest settings. The HD 4400 integrated graphics aren't even close to the listed minimum (GTX 670, Radeon HD 7870). Now, system requirements almost always have a lot of give, but the integrated graphics aren't even in the same galaxy.

Feb 16, 2021
Clearly the game require more vram than 1,1gb because of that is stuttering/freezing why its not using all its 2,6GB VRAM (2gb shared memory and 576mb dedicated igpu memory), btw i use the intel graphic gpu just for this game (its basicly running on 2 gpu's) how do i use more vram and not limit to just 1,1 out of 2gb, oh and my dedicated gpu nvidia gt730 has 4gb vram and it uses 2,3 gb vram on the game (and crashes after 2-3 mins).

Feb 16, 2021
Ok first of all thoes cards are kinda shish.... and yes my graphic card is from ZOTAC and 4 vram but i get 60+ fps on lowest 800x600 gta v (but it shows error related to the gpu) and csgo on low-mid settings 60+ fps

DSzymborski

Titan
Clearly the game require more vram than 1,1gb because of that is stuttering/freezing why its not using all its 2,6GB VRAM (2gb shared memory and 576mb dedicated igpu memory), btw i use the intel graphic gpu just for this game (its basicly running on 2 gpu's) how do i use more vram and not limit to just 1,1 out of 2gb, oh and my dedicated gpu nvidia gt730 has 4gb vram and it uses 2,3 gb vram on the game (and crashes after 2-3 mins).

Again, VRAM is not your problem. This is not how any of this works. Your integrated graphics can't utilize any more memory. You have the cause-and-effect precisely backwards. Once again, your integrated GPU isn't performing horribly because it's not using a lot of VRAM, you're not using a lot of VRAM because your integrated GPU is performing horribly. The integrated GPU is already accessing as much RAM as it can possibly use.

My cat can't cook a steak any better than he can cook a mouse; he can't use the better input because he's a cat and cannot cook anything at all.

The fundamental problem is your equipment, which is extremely underpowered for the task you want it to do. You don't appear to like this truth, but that's what it is; there's no magic VRAM solution that can make insufficient hardware better.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTX 2080 and Krotow
.... but i get 60+ fps on lowest 800x600 gta v (but it shows error related to the gpu) and csgo on low-mid settings 60+ fps

And what is the point to torture yourself with crappy picture?

The fundamental problem is your equipment, which is extremely underpowered for the task you want it to do. You don't appear to like this truth, but that's what it is; there's no magic VRAM solution that can make insufficient hardware better.

Exactly (y) Only a new system or at least 3-5 years old used one from someone who recently upgraded may help him.

Feb 16, 2021
Again, VRAM is not your problem. This is not how any of this works. Your integrated graphics can't utilize any more memory. You have the cause-and-effect precisely backwards. Once again, your integrated GPU isn't performing horribly because it's not using a lot of VRAM, you're not using a lot of VRAM because your integrated GPU is performing horribly. The integrated GPU is already accessing as much RAM as it can possibly use.

My cat can't cook a steak any better than he can cook a mouse; he can't use the better input because he's a cat and cannot cook anything at all.

I have seen on yt that an intel hd graphics 4400 uses 1.7gb vram (when playing just cause 3) but mine doesent.
Is it because of the cpu or something like that because i have seen on yt benchmark tests for exactly my type of intel graphics card and it uses more vram.

DSzymborski

Titan
I have seen on yt that an intel hd graphics 4400 uses 1.7gb vram (when playing just cause 3) but mine doesent.
Is it because of the cpu or something like that because i have seen on yt benchmark tests for exactly my type of intel graphics card and it uses more vram.

There are a lot of variables involved, such as settings of the game, CPU, etc.

Since you only want to hear what you want to hear, there's no more assistance I can provide.

Reactions: VirusBruv360.mem
Feb 16, 2021
There are a lot of variables involved, such as settings of the game, CPU, etc.

Since you only want to hear what you want to hear, there's no more assistance I can provide.
I forgot to to say that i use the intel graphics just for that game by doing this:
Going dysplay options>graphics settings>browse, then i select the game and i go to options and then i press power saving mode (uses the intel graphics) maybe its because im in power saving mode? It limits the vram ussage? I use this method because idk how to change between gpus.

Feb 16, 2021
You change between the gpu's to plug in the monitor in the gpu you want to use. Do you want to use the igpu you enable the igpu in the bios and plug in the monitor in the motherboard. You want to use the GT 730 you connect the monitor into the GT 730.
In device manager i have it shown as a display adapter does that mean its enabled?
And i have 2 monitor plugs on the back of my pc i think. Do i need to just change the place my monitor is plugged in?

Feb 16, 2021
You think? Post a pic of the back of your pc.
Yes i checked the moment i posted the comment i have 2 plugs for the monitors, oh and idk how to post a pic here.
Btw i think i had a faulty gpu and i realise that now :(
Long story short a game on the web browser wasnt opening so i got to a pc tech support in my country and reinstalled the pc and he told me to plug the monitor on the other plug (gt730 nvidia) before that i was using the integrated card and thats why my gtav was working cus it was using the igpu and from then when i changed the plug to the gt730 gtav didnt work it showed error so i think my gt730 is a faulty card :C and cant fix it.