Question Intel i3-12100F is overheating ?

Rosales

Commendable
May 21, 2022
Hello, I realized like 2 weeks ago that my cpu temperature was always at 99 degrees and did some research. Most of the comments were saying to change thermal paste and so I did. After applying new thermal paste it dropped to 55-60 degrees at idle and about 70-75 degrees while gaming. but now after 2 weeks im getting 75 degrees at idle and 85-90+ degrees while gaming which effects the performance greatly.

I use the stock fan that came with the cpu. I dont have a big case so I cant buy many fans. Should I just buy a liquid cooler or are there other options ?

@Rosales
What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it? Some thermal pastes can quickly degrade and pump out in as little as two weeks leaving next to nothing between the CPU and the heatsink.

The stock heatsink and fan are barely adequate. If you want better temperatures, consider buying a low cost tower heatsink. It should perform better compared to the Intel OEM cooler.

What case do you have?

Also room temperature certainly matters as asked above.

A 12100F shouldn't idle that hot even with the stock cooler so the cooler may also not be mounted entirely correctly (which is easier to do than one would think thanks to the dumb plastic clips).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, I realized like 2 weeks ago that my cpu temperature was always at 99 degrees and did some research. Most of the comments were saying to change thermal paste and so I did. After applying new thermal paste it dropped to 55-60 degrees at idle and about 70-75 degrees while gaming. but now after 2 weeks im getting 75 degrees at idle and 85-90+ degrees while gaming which effects the performance greatly.

I use the stock fan that came with the cpu. I dont have a big case so I cant buy many fans. Should I just buy a liquid cooler or are there other options ?
I would think the cooler mount is not holding. New thermal paste for a 12XXX CPU should not be needed for a good bit of more years.

I would just replace the cooler and call it a day. No case was listed so can't say what will fit in the case.
Good cooler for that CPU and should fit in about any case unless it a slim.

Just 125mm tall, if you know what case you have they might be a better option so don't just buy it unless you know it will fit or can post a link to your case or the PC you bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVBCN1H3?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Example if a 154mm tall one will fit.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/44YRsY/thermalright-assassin-x-120-v2-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ax120-v2

Last edited:
The stock cooler should be entirely adequate.
What is the make/model of your case?

Almost certainly your issue is a bad mount.
Here is my stock advice on how to properly mount the intel stock cooler:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Even the temperatures you are relaying aren't outside operating temps for that CPU. If you are already in a hotter ambient it may be normal.

Really need more information as requested above to give more than a could be answer.

Rosales

Commendable
May 21, 2022
@Rosales
What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it? Some thermal pastes can quickly degrade and pump out in as little as two weeks leaving next to nothing between the CPU and the heatsink.

The stock heatsink and fan are barely adequate. If you want better temperatures, consider buying a low cost tower heatsink. It should perform better compared to the Intel OEM cooler.
I bought Zalman zm-stc10, most of the comments said it was alright for the price. I used the X method to apply the paste.

Rosales

Commendable
May 21, 2022
The case is Boost model but I cant remember the full model because I have it for a lot of years. its a small case tho. I made sure to mount the cooler right because I've actually done it wrong in the past so I was extra careful. But I'll check again just in case.

I checked again to see if the cooler was mounted properly and although I cant be %100 sure without getting the motherboard out, It was pretty firm.

Another thing I realized is that the stock cooler is really dusty, like REALLY dusty. Could it also be the problem ? if so how can I clean it without damaging it. Or should I just buy a new one as recommended above ?

Thanks for all the replies btw

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of with that cooler would be compressed air or an electronics vacuum. Potentially removing the fan and using water would be another option.

Without knowing the case we cannot give you a good cooler recommendation. Also your location can impact what is available, but generally a decent tower cooler should be more than enough for this CPU.

Rosales

Commendable
May 21, 2022
Yeah there is not much difference in price, I'll just go with thermalright then. Thank you for the help everyone !