Intel i5 750 VS The new 2010 Models

wgrin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hey there,

I have a question for you pros. I am a heavy gamer and I am upgrading my MB (motherboard) and CPU. The question that I have is one that I cannot figure out myself.

Intel's Core i5 750 is a quad core processor, four physical cores. The new 2010 Models are Dual Core's but they have hyperthreading, thus giving you 4 Virtual Core's.

WHAT IS BETTER FOR GAMING, and why?

Thanks for your time!

W Grin

Solution

Actual cores beat virtual cores whenever you have a program that can use them.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The extra 2 virtual cores that the dual cores give don't help much in gaming. Thus, a physical quad core is going to give you the best performance.

However, if it was a dual core optimized game and you had a highly OCed dual you 'might' get better performance. Even then the quad would be taking the load from any background programs you have turning.

The only plus in having a new dual core besides price is power usage and high OC-ability for single-dual threaded applications. Games are becoming more and more quad core and with the progression of the GPU's quads are becoming important.

i5 is one of the best CPUs out there for gaming.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Either one will work about the same in games, at least when you crank the details up. Wiht a single graphics card, the GPU is still the bottleneck at high resolutions and details. I'd rather have everything maxed at 50FPS than to have everything turned down at 100FPS....just so I can see my processor is faster.

wgrin

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Ok, so let’s change the question a little bit. Overall for multitasking and gaming, which is the better processor?