Mar 30, 2021
Hello!
I need help deciding on the two builds I've found, my main focus is Gaming ( the one better at VR specifically) these two cost me around the same ( with 80-100$ difference). I need help choosing between these two, or is there a better option?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
A320M
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
Normal Case
600 Watt PSU
AMD RX 560 4GB
(AMD build is about 80$ cheaper)

INTEL:
CPU: i5-8600k 3.60 Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB
RAM: 8GB 2300 mhz
Motherboard: AS Rock Z370 Pro 4
Power Supply: 600 Watts Cooler Master
Storage: 1 TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Lite RGB

Ik the GPUs aren't best for gaming i plan to upgrade them later , let me know what you guys think!
Thanks!

Solution
While the 8600K is better in gaming, by 5~10 FPS depending on the game, i would choose the Ryzen over it since the 8600K is on a dead platform.
Ryzen has a way better upgrade path, just not with that A320M motherboard.
16GB is also much better than 8GB for gaming especially, although way vary from game to game, but in recent titles 16gb is far superior.
Ryzen build also has a 120GB SSD, although you will pretty much only put Windows on it, it will make a significant difference in booting and operating on your pc.
RX 560 and 1050TI are pretty much neck-to-neck when it comes to gaming performance.
I think the Ryzen build is way better than the 8600K one, just my opinion.
While the 8600K is better in gaming, by 5~10 FPS depending on the game, i would choose the Ryzen over it since the 8600K is on a dead platform.
16GB is also much better than 8GB for gaming especially, although way vary from game to game, but in recent titles 16gb is far superior.
Ryzen build also has a 120GB SSD, although you will pretty much only put Windows on it, it will make a significant difference in booting and operating on your pc.
RX 560 and 1050TI are pretty much neck-to-neck when it comes to gaming performance.

Solution
Mar 30, 2021
Heya!
Thanks for your reply and opinion! Really appreciate it, i agree with what you said but what if they're prebuilt? Someone ik has these 2 builds he's selling me, i can only buy that and do replacements/ upgrades later , ik the mobo A320M is not as good as that one in the intel build. It's really hard to decide xD as I'm gonna prolly grab one tmrw. Which one do you think has a better upgrade path? Or is there any other good option?
Thanks!

Reactions: Dj0gany
Which motherboard would you recommend? I'll see if that can put that in for me, then it would cost aroun same as intel build i think.
Depends on the budget and to what cpu you want to upgrade, but in general you want to look for a B550 board because it has compatability with the new Ryzen 5000 series processors, alongside PCIe 4.0 for your graphics card and m.2 ssd's.

Mar 30, 2021
Depends on the budget and to what cpu you want to upgrade, but in general you want to look for a B550 board because it has compatability with the new Ryzen 5000 series processors, alongside PCIe 4.0 for your graphics card and m.2 ssd's.
That's what I'm confused about, coz the mobo in intel build already supports upgrade to 9th gen i think and also advertises VR etc ( i5 8600k) and supports x3 GPU crossfire AMD and m.2 ssds, so that's why I'm confused , is intel better for now and just upgrade GPU or ryzen better, coz i won't be upgrading CPU just GPU or ram etc.
Ik ryzen is new and I'm kind of a fan of AMD more but looking at the budget i want best in that price xD like a CPU that won't need an upgrade for few yrs , GPU i can always buy npi saw comparison videos on YT and intel i5 8600k had 20-30 more fps in games, that's why I'm so confused as to what to pick, i need reason to let go of that i5 8600k coz for some reason i think its a huge deal XD

That's what I'm confused about, coz the mobo in intel build already supports upgrade to 9th gen i think and also advertises VR etc ( i5 8600k) and supports x3 GPU crossfire AMD and m.2 ssds, so that's why I'm confused , is intel better for now and just upgrade GPU or ryzen better, coz i won't be upgrading CPU just GPU or ram etc.
"coz the mobo in intel build already supports upgrade to 9th gen i think and also advertises VR etc "
Upgrade to 9th Gen really isnt something you should do, as there isnt a big improvement over 8600K and lets say a i7 9700K, which would cost you $300 now. And with $300 you can buy a 5600X which would outperform that 9700K in gaming.
" and supports x3 GPU crossfire AMD "
Which you will never use in your life.
"and m.2 ssds"
Unless you are building a $10000 gaming/workstation build, the most you will use is lets say 2 m.2 ssd's. Most people use is one m.2 for windows and mby some games.
" is intel better for now and just upgrade GPU or ryzen better, coz i won't be upgrading CPU just GPU or ram etc. "
For pure gaming 8600K is better, but 8gb of ram is what's holding it down. You wont overclock unless you have a good cooler.
I still stand by what i said about's ryzen upgradability and the overall system is better.

Mar 30, 2021
Hmm
"coz the mobo in intel build already supports upgrade to 9th gen i think and also advertises VR etc "
Upgrade to 9th Gen really isnt something you should do, as there isnt a big improvement over 8600K and lets say a i7 9700K, which would cost you $300 now. And with $300 you can buy a 5600X which would outperform that 9700K in gaming.
" and supports x3 GPU crossfire AMD "
Which you will never use in your life.
"and m.2 ssds"
Unless you are building a $10000 gaming/workstation build, the most you will use is lets say 2 m.2 ssd's. Most people use is one m.2 for windows and mby some games.
" is intel better for now and just upgrade GPU or ryzen better, coz i won't be upgrading CPU just GPU or ram etc. "
For pure gaming 8600K is better, but 8gb of ram is what's holding it down. You wont overclock unless you have a good cooler.
I still stand by what i said about's ryzen upgradability and the overall system is better.
Hmm Thank you! I think I'll leave intel Build aside , and go for ryzen! What do you think about ryzen 5 3600 or 3500x over 2600? Coz cpu i plan not to upgrade for few yrs i need something that can run me my VR games like Skyrim VR etc

Great unknowns are the psu's. 600w Cooler Master isn't say much altough there is no good 600w Cooler Master. What's the exact make and model of the psu's?

I'd take the Intel. Better motherboard for stock 8700K or 9900K later on. Adding an extra 8GB stick is easy to do and it doesn't cost much. 2300 MT/s ram don't exist. I think you switched the 2 and 3 and that you meant 3200. 1050 Ti is much faster than RX 560.

Mar 30, 2021
Great unknowns are the psu's. 600w Cooler Master isn't say much altough there is no good 600w Cooler Master. What's the exact make and model of the psu's?

I'd take the Intel. Better motherboard for stock 8700K or 9900K later on. Adding an extra 8GB stick is easy to do and it doesn't cost much. 2300 MT/s ram don't exist. I think you switched the 2 and 3 and that you meant 3200. 1050 Ti is much faster than RX 560.
I asked the guy about PSU waiting response, I'll update the reply when he lets me know Thanks for your reply!

The RX 560 and the GTX 1050 (not-Ti) tend to perform neck-and-neck. The 1050 Ti, however, can often be over 30% faster than those cards. There are some games where the RX 560 can hold its own against the 1050 Ti, but for the most part it is in a somewhat lower performance category, even if it matches the 1050 Ti on VRAM. And even a 1050 Ti won't be great for VR (It was a relatively lower-end model when it first came out over 4 years ago), but considering the current graphics card market, where anything more capable is priced 2-3 times its MSRP due to crypto-miners buying up lots of cards, they might be stuck with the same card for a while. Hopefully, cards start to return closer to their MSRPs later in the year, but due to the unpredictable nature of the crypto market, it could potentially take longer for that to happen.

GPU i can always buy npi saw comparison videos on YT and intel i5 8600k had 20-30 more fps in games, that's why I'm so confused as to what to pick, i need reason to let go of that i5 8600k coz for some reason i think its a huge deal XD
Keep in mind, those videos comparing CPUs in games are typically pairing them with very high-end "enthusiast" graphics cards to prevent the graphics hardware from limiting performance in the benchmarks. In many cases those cards can be priced close to $1000 or more, and you probably won't be getting a card that fast, at least until that level of performance works its way down into mainstream cards, at which point games will be more demanding on them. In typical setups, most modern games will usually be graphics limited more than anything, so as long as the CPU is fast enough to keep up with the graphics card, performance will tend to be fairly similar.

Another thing to consider is that the 8600K lacks SMT (also known as Hyperthreading on Intel CPUs), a feature that allows it to more efficiently run additional software threads. The 2600 does feature SMT, potentially giving it more stable performance in heavily-multithreaded games, which are becoming more common, though each of its cores are somewhat slower, putting it at a disadvantage in many existing games when targeting high framerates (again, in cases where they are not being limited by the graphics hardware). I would say both processors have their advantages, but the 8600K might arguably be the better option for high-framerate usage scenarios like VR, and would generally be the more expensive option to reflect that.

Overall, for running today's games, and for seeking higher frame rates for VR, I would probably go with the 8600K / 1050 Ti system, especially since you might have trouble finding a better graphics card at a reasonable price for quite a while. However, you would want to upgrade it to at least 16GB of RAM, as 8GB is going to cause significant performance issues in many of today's AAA titles.

And assuming that "1TB storage" is a traditional HDD, it would also be best to add an SSD, and install Windows and your applications to that. And if it's a somewhat larger drive, also some of your most-played games, while leaving the hard drive for data storage and maybe some less-played games, or those with short load times. Games installed to an SSD will generally load over twice as fast, though it typically doesn't effect frame-rates significantly in today's games. The 120GB SSD in the Ryzen system might be fine enough for installing Windows and your applications to, but it's not likely large enough to hold modern games, which you might want another SSD for anyway. I suspect we will likely see SSD storage affect game performance more in the coming years though, as the new consoles are exclusively using that.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Mar 30, 2021
The RX 560 and the GTX 1050 (not-Ti) tend to perform neck-and-neck. The 1050 Ti, however, can often be over 30% faster than those cards. There are some games where the RX 560 can hold its own against the 1050 Ti, but for the most part it is in a somewhat lower performance category, even if it matches the 1050 Ti on VRAM. And even a 1050 Ti won't be great for VR (It was a relatively lower-end model when it first came out over 4 years ago), but considering the current graphics card market, where anything more capable is priced 2-3 times its MSRP due to crypto-miners buying up lots of cards, they might be stuck with the same card for a while. Hopefully, cards start to return closer to their MSRPs later in the year, but due to the unpredictable nature of the crypto market, it could potentially take longer for that to happen.

Keep in mind, those videos comparing CPUs in games are typically pairing them with very high-end "enthusiast" graphics cards to prevent the graphics hardware from limiting performance in the benchmarks. In many cases those cards can be priced close to $1000 or more, and you probably won't be getting a card that fast, at least until that level of performance works its way down into mainstream cards, at which point games will be more demanding on them. In typical setups, most modern games will usually be graphics limited more than anything, so as long as the CPU is fast enough to keep up with the graphics card, performance will tend to be fairly similar.

Another thing to consider is that the 8600K lacks SMT (also known as Hyperthreading on Intel CPUs), a feature that allows it to more efficiently run additional software threads. The 2600 does feature SMT, potentially giving it more stable performance in heavily-multithreaded games, which are becoming more common, though each of its cores are somewhat slower, putting it at a disadvantage in many existing games when targeting high framerates (again, in cases where they are not being limited by the graphics hardware). I would say both processors have their advantages, but the 8600K might arguably be the better option for high-framerate usage scenarios like VR, and would generally be the more expensive option to reflect that.

Overall, for running today's games, and for seeking higher frame rates for VR, I would probably go with the 8600K / 1050 Ti system, especially since you might have trouble finding a better graphics card at a reasonable price for quite a while. However, you would want to upgrade it to at least 16GB of RAM, as 8GB is going to cause significant performance issues in many of today's AAA titles.

And assuming that "1TB storage" is a traditional HDD, it would also be best to add an SSD, and install Windows and your applications to that. And if it's a somewhat larger drive, also some of your most-played games, while leaving the hard drive for data storage and maybe some less-played games, or those with short load times. Games installed to an SSD will generally load over twice as fast, though it typically doesn't effect frame-rates significantly in today's games. The 120GB SSD in the Ryzen system might be fine enough for installing Windows and your applications to, but it's not likely large enough to hold modern games, which you might want another SSD for anyway. I suspect we will likely see SSD storage affect game performance more in the coming years though, as the new consoles are exclusively using that.
Thanks ALOT! for your reply! I think so too , i didn't know ab 8600k's hyperthreading as well, also as for SSD i already have a new SSD 256 GB samsung , i could use that! About the ryzen guy i complained ab the mobo he offered me another one
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte B550M DS3h
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
Normal Case
600 Watt PSU
AMD RX 560 4GB
76k (500$)

Mar 30, 2021
what is the total price per system? Also what country? If you are going to buy tomorrow I would also go with the ryzen build.
Hello!
Its Pakistan and price is in PKR But I'll tell you in usd.
The intel build is costing me 80k (522$)
The AMD build is costing me 70K (457$)
The amd build with B550M mobo is costing me (495$)

Mar 30, 2021
Now that both the builds Intel and AMD( with B550 mobo) are costing me same 500$ its very hard to decide what to go for XD i keep looking for comparisons I could really use help
Thanks ALOT to those who replied!

TRENDING THREADS