Intel if you are reading:Keep the chipset requirements equal

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Its been really frustrating buying intel hardware. It seems that they only last for a year before something worthwhile comes along.

Looking at their roadmap its 2 years between generations, yet, using the same socket most boards require a refresh to use the newer level CPUs.

Take it for instance. Pentium D vs Core 2 Duo. A lot of the boards designed for the Pentium 4/D socket 775 didn't accept a Core 2 Duo. It wouldn't even boot. It wasn't fair also that manufacturers where not willing to do a Bios update or provide any information about the future processors.

Its really a matter of customer loyalty. If you care for your customers, keep them happy and make the processors a viable upgrade route for existing boards. There are a lot of good and expensive boards out there, and obligating us to buy new chipsets also to use the newer upgraded processor seems totally unfair.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Not if you consider that the old chipsets can't handle the new CPU features. Would you rather that they kept Netburst specs indefinitely and cripple their C2Ds and Qs?

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Not if you consider that the old chipsets can't handle the new CPU features. Would you rather that they kept Netburst specs indefinitely and cripple their C2Ds and Qs?

Yes. Intel is just screwing the customer. They should have just made one motherboard... ever. How dare they continue to release newer and faster technology. If they really cared about the customer, they would make it a point to lag a year behind the competition with their product releases.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Yes. Intel is just screwing the customer. They should have just made one motherboard... ever. How dare they continue to release newer and faster technology. If they really cared about the customer, they would make it a point to lag a year behind the competition with their product releases.

Right on! Bring back the 420TX Saturn chipset and force Nehalem to run on it, damn it!!! :lol:

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
No,

its totally stupid when there are newer nforce4 boards that do support the core 2 duo architecture and on older ones not installable because they require a different SPEC. Why didn't those specs be released before hand to manufacturers when the processors are being designed and most of it characteristics are already known.

You don't have to change sockets every generation. Certainly AMD is more user upgradeable than Intel. What's wrong with asking about that? Wow.. you people must be millionaires and like to spill your money in a heart beat.

In the end... if they make the Penryn 1600 FSB wouldn't that fase out most current motherboards out there?

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
If you're not a rabid OCer you'll find several $60 boards that will run the latest C2 very happily. I like to save my meager funds as much as possible, but that is the cost of a decent air cooler!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Millionaire?

"I'm worth billions of dollars, and I have to listen to this fat slob?"

I got a cheap crap board that supports core 2, and it's older than nf4! I think! I'll pay someone a gazillion dollars to find out! I think i'll pay myself.

stuart

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004

Right on! Bring back the 420TX Saturn chipset and force Nehalem to run on it, damn it!!! :lol:

If you study the CPU and Different chipsets VERY closely you will find that if you use a hammer the new C2D's will operate jsut fine in a slot A motherboard. No need to thank me.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Its been really frustrating buying intel hardware. It seems that they only last for a year before something worthwhile comes along.

Looking at their roadmap its 2 years between generations, yet, using the same socket most boards require a refresh to use the newer level CPUs.

Take it for instance. Pentium D vs Core 2 Duo. A lot of the boards designed for the Pentium 4/D socket 775 didn't accept a Core 2 Duo. It wouldn't even boot. It wasn't fair also that manufacturers where not willing to do a Bios update or provide any information about the future processors.

Its really a matter of customer loyalty. If you care for your customers, keep them happy and make the processors a viable upgrade route for existing boards. There are a lot of good and expensive boards out there, and obligating us to buy new chipsets also to use the newer upgraded processor seems totally unfair.

I think intel listens more to their wallets (by selling lots of chipsets and motherboards every technology change )
than an angry user :p

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

If you study the CPU and Different chipsets VERY closely you will find that if you use a hammer the new C2D's will operate jsut fine in a slot A motherboard. No need to thank me.

I've found that vice grips tend to hold them in place better and server as a decent heat sink as well....

TRENDING THREADS