Question Intel Rapid Storage Technology or Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I've been looking everywhere and can't find any good info on this. I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA motherboard with raid on it. I am planning on setting up a raid 1 between two 14TB WD Ultrastar drives. Would I be better off setting it up via the bios and use Intel RST in windows or use Storage Spaces in Windows 10?

Here's a full list of my hardware. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rvJyBc

Any help is much appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I want to have fault tolerance. If I lose a drive then I still have my data. I can only fit 2 drives in my rig so I can't do my old setup with 4 drives and raid 10.
RAID 1 is really only for continued uptime. Let the system continue to wr, until you can schedule downtime to replace the failed drive.
Not data protection.

The user and OS sees but a single copy of the file. Accidental deletion, corruption, malware, ransomware...a RAID 1 does nothing for that.

A real backup routine, in some other device (external?) will ensure safety of the actual data.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
All I need is for it to have a backup of the data incase one drive fails. So is the onboard raid the way to go or Storage Spaces? Which is better?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
All I need is for it to have a backup of the data incase one drive fails. So is the onboard raid the way to go or Storage Spaces? Which is better?
Probably a tossup between the two.
If I HAD to choose, the IRST. Seen too many weirdnesses with StorageSpaces.

A dedicated RAID controller would probably be better than either.

And still inferior to an actual backup routine.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS