Intel regains crown

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Prozac, thanks for supplying us with such valuable information in this thread.

I mean, the title says it all, Intel regains crown and yet, there you are with your Intel/AMD insight: What came first, the chicken or the egg.

I envy you and you are now officially my hero! :wink:

SumDumGuy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
stop being retaredededtetetdtetdtetdtetdtetedtetdtetdtetdtetetdtetdtet

OMFG are you still talking? Are you still consuming precious oxygen? Kid, listen, I don't know how you managed to bypass the parental controls on your PC, but I think it's lights out time for you. Go grab your favorite dolly, put on a fresh Huggies pull-up and hit the sack junior. Dont pick on dvd. You mess with piddy, you mess with......well piddy. But thats not cool.

Caboose.... I think if you read the entire thread, you would understand why I made this comment... but I'm not on paid time now, and therefore have no desire to argue with or insult anyone.

chill people

conroes ahead, AMD took out the P4, P4 took out the Athlon XP, P3 Tualatin Took out the Athlon (AND P4 :D ) - LEAP FROG

I believe dvd piddy when he says the K10 (or what will be in place and if they keep the name) will rule - AMD changes there designs and calls it by a higher number so K10 would be improvements and anything might happen (amd could turn into a P4 styled high clock speed design but better, or could even do a conroe'er and beat em at there own game and get more performance from lower clocks).

athlonium

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
nothing extra ordinary about conroe...coz conroe based on pentium m/pentium iii architecture...basically they have same IPC like athlon but the different is they have more cache than athlon x2.

athlon x2 1mb can beat p4 that have more cache becoz p4 have a stupid architecture...however conroe not using that stupid netburst ...and of course conroe win coz they using 4mb x 2 cache vs 1mb x 2 cache of athlon...

so what amd need to do...is just load more cache on athlon .... done...

nothing extra ordinary about conroe...coz conroe based on pentium m/pentium iii architecture...basically they have same IPC like athlon but the different is they have more cache than athlon x2.

athlon x2 1mb can beat p4 that have more cache becoz p4 have a stupid architecture...however conroe not using that stupid netburst ...and of course conroe win coz they using 4mb x 2 cache vs 1mb x 2 cache of athlon...

so what amd need to do...is just load more cache on athlon .... done...

(ALSO POSTED IN THE OTHER)

P4's architecture aint stupid it took on the K7 with ease but the K8 was designed to beat it and it did the same as conroe beats the K8, and was about time it was replaced.

Conroes cache is 1x4mb shared not 2x4mb and cache doesnt matter as much depending on architecture, ram speed/location and FSB, twice the cache might translate into 10% performance at best depending on original size.

Conroe is P6 based (pentium pro -> P2 -> P3 -> pm).

And yes take your BS elsewhere and do some research, and look at the old northwood c take on a prescott with twice the cache and the same clock speeds - northwood wins!!! explain that.

Dam noob

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
AMD cant put more Cache in their processor cause they architecture would respond with performance penalties (whos got the stupid architecture now?).

More Cache and done... *roflz*
Then anyone could that Intel should put the Memory Controller inside the CPU and theyll be ahead forever (which kind of probably would be the case).

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
No, i think the only reason Conroe Won because Intel finally cleaned up and De-bugged their 65nm Technology and have learned to make the 65nm chips and the new DDR2 Rams wokr and play togeather. While the FX-60 was still running its old and trusty DDR1 and 90nm chips. but i think Intel has just learned to make use of their new Technology better if not more effectifely. But if AM2 gets into 65nm and DDR2-800 and if some how uses more Cache and or somehow eases or removes some memory Bottlenecks it would easly overtake any Conroe Processer.
Past, Present or Future!!

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No, the 65nm they use in Cedar Mills/Preslers is not "bugged". It performed far better because it's now based on a far better architecture. Also, AMD won't have 65nm until '07.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
AMD cant put more Cache in their processor cause they architecture would respond with performance penalties (whos got the stupid architecture now?).

Then anyone could that Intel should put the Memory Controller inside the CPU and theyll be ahead forever (which kind of probably would be the case).

Who got the stupid architecture now? Intel's

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Who got the stupid architecture now? Intel's
As I stated earlier, 5ghz Netburst > 3ghz K8

mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Guys i personally think that if intel compared the conroe chip with an am2 the difference would be much bigger.We all know that currently an fx60 is faster than an am2 processor.Also keep in mind that intel overclocked fx60.It seems that conroe is invincible at the moment.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well, I think it could be possible that AMD could match Conroe´s performance in WinRAR, thanks to their memory performance.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Guys i personally think that if intel compared the conroe chip with an am2 the difference would be much bigger.We all know that currently an fx60 is faster than an am2 processor.Also keep in mind that intel overclocked fx60.It seems that conroe is invincible at the moment.
Yes, but this is due to the fact the the AM2 memory controller used in testing was buggy.
However, the fact remains that Conroe would kick the shit out of an improved version anyway. Some people bitch about AM2 not having DDR2-800, but Conroe didn't have that either. Anyway, the Conroe they tested with is not even the fastest version.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
dudes you forgot something i heard a long time ago that if you oc an amd proc it will lose some memory performance because of the integrated memory controller i dont know if its true i'll go ask mike