News Intel Retires 6th-Generation Skylake CPUs

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
Intel's 6th-generation 14nm Skylake processors have officially reached end-of-life status. Read more here.
corei7_box.jpg

ZHIYE LIU
@zhiyeliu

Zhiye Liu is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers CPU, GPU and Motherboard news.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
The memory controller is built into the CPU. Unless the CPU supports memory overclocking or DDR4, then support for faster/newer memory for that CPU is not possible and that would be why no such motherboard exists.

If its haswell-e or skylake they could potentially be running DDR3(L) with the cpu since the memory controllers are DDR3(L) or 4 capable, I believe thats still carried over on even current chips since the oems have requested it, but its only really used occassionally on the mobile side. If intel werent so greedy they could have allowed a person on a z170 board with ddr3L to be running a coffee lake chip, then if the board died or they needed to move to ddr4 for whatever reason, they could have moved to a new z390 board while still keeping the same chip.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-DDR3-rev-10#ov

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
If its haswell-e or skylake he could potentially be running DDR3(L) with the cpu since the memory controllers are DDR3(L) or 4 capable
Possibly, but not very likely for a PC she (?) got for 'next to nothing' used from an office sale.

Even if a memory upgrade was possible, first-gen transition CPUs often perform worse with the newer memory, higher speed support is more limited if not outright sketchy and it simply isn't worth the expense of a new motherboard plus memory.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Possibly, but not very likely for a PC she (?) got for 'next to nothing' used from an office sale.

Even if a memory upgrade was possible, first-gen transition CPUs often perform worse with the newer memory, higher speed support is more limited if not outright sketchy and it simply isn't worth the expense of a new motherboard plus memory.

I agree, I was just pointing out it was a possibility. Also, thanks for reminding me to check my assumptions, I normally catch that. I've changed the text to read as, they.